Furry Friends

I’m not much of a thread starter, but I’m mourning the loss of my boy tonight and didn’t have much else to do. Thought I’d start something in his memory. Charlie was hit by an SUV on Rochester Road this afternoon after he got loose of the leash while my foster son was walking him. I was at work. He helped me out of many a dark place this past summer. I’m doing better now, but I’m going to miss him like crazy. 

Figure this can be a place to talk about all our doggos and pets and how much they mean to us.

6C374D9E-AA22-4E8B-BA78-F54FCB831438.thumb.jpeg.b36ebf71638c110485727838f868e297.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

This is my buddy, Jungle Jack. He's definitely getting on in years—best guess is 18-19—but he's still doing fine for his age. Chronic kidney failure, chronic asthma, and not really anything else wrong with him.

He's the sweetest, cuddliest, snuggliest, friendliest cat I've ever met. I don't know what I'll do when he's gone, but it seems at present that it'll be a while (a year or so?) before I have to worry about that.

926502811_PXL_20211206_2149578332.thumb.jpg.773644f677f74fea7e16ee5a4ddcbfe8.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So sorry, MC. 😢
It is always hard when they are gone, but I can’t imagine how hard it must be to lose your buddy that way.  

These are my two currently, Lucy (dog) is just about 14 yrs old… Adopted her when she was one year old. Sam the cat, is maybe a year older (or younger… no one’s sure). I got him seven years ago.  My good friend got Sam from a shelter for her mom to keep as company, but couldn’t keep him her self when the mom passed away because her dog didn’t like cats. Lucy on the other hand, is fine with cats, but isn’t crazy about other dogs. Go figure. I know it’s gonna be tough in a couple of years with the two of them, but there is no better company than our pets.
Again … so sorry for your loss.

F0BD300D-2C43-4AEE-A255-0F90393E5FCA.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm so sorry about Charlie.  I lost one that way in Georgia in 1994 (same day Cobain died).   It was completely devastating.  His name was Bongo.   I honored Bongo by getting a shelter Dog named Tony. I had him for 13 years. 

This is Diego.  He's a 16 year old Border Collie.  (Pic was from March 2020).   He is a very very good dog.  He has problems moving around now, as well as with his eyesight and I had to build a ramp out of dirt and grass up to my front porch because he can't step on the concrete steps anymore and can't do the tile steps in the kitchen by the back door   I bought a ramp with grip strips on it but he refused to step on it.    The grass ramp looks dumb, but I don't care.    Even though he has trouble getting around and only goes outside when I do now, he is still very good about holding his water. Most dogs I had that got older didn't make that kind of effort. 

When I say this, I don't mean it metaphorically...........He is literally my best friend in the truest sense of the word and I know he won't be around much longer, but he's happy and he's gotten me through a lot of tough times.    

803679731_DiegoMay82020CROPPED.jpg.82d7831d1ed94acf5d6c302bf453192f.jpg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I bought a ramp with grip strips on it but he refused to step on it.

Over the years two of our dogs had gotten to the point where they couldn't go up steps very well but neither of them them would do a ramp either. We even tried putting I/O carpeting on one for one of them - no dice. So she'd bark at the edge of the deck and we'd go out and help her up....What else ya gonna do?

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Over the years two of our dogs had gotten to the point where they couldn't go up steps very well but neither of them them would do a ramp either. We even tried putting I/O carpeting on one for one of them - no dice. So she'd bark at the edge of the deck and we'd go out and help her up....What else ya gonna do?

From the porch into the front door there is a step of about 10 inches and Diego stands there rocking back and forth because 3 years ago he slipped on the wood when it was wet.  I have grip strips on it now and he can't slip but he still will not step on that, so I have to get behind him and coach him, sometimes loudly.   Lately I just started picking up his front half and setting it down inside the house and boy does he hate that, but it's better than standing there letting all the cold into the house.  

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

From the porch into the front door there is a step of about 10 inches and Diego stands there rocking back and forth because 3 years ago he slipped on the wood when it was wet.  I have grip strips on it now and he can't slip but he still will not step on that, so I have to get behind him and coach him, sometimes loudly.   Lately I just started picking up his front half and setting it down inside the house and boy does he hate that, but it's better than standing there letting all the cold into the house.  

LOL. For one of ours we would loop a wide belt or even a bath towel under her and just take a little weight off and she'd come up once she felt the lift but the other never went for that either.

9 minutes ago, djhutch said:

Lucy on one of our morning walks.  We got her in 2009 .. 2 weeks after losing our black German Shepherd & swearing we wouldn't put ourselves thru that again.

Lucy-Walk.jpg

I'm the same way.  I got Diego six weeks after Tony died.   I won't wait to get another dog.  My home is just too empty without one.  

• Like 1

When we lost Rumor's predecessor we had just returned from a work/vacation trip to Denver. the kennel had called us earlier that weekend to say that she had gotten sick. She was 13 and had begun having issues a short while earlier. 
The day after we put her down I had major surgery and was laid up for about a month.

That gave me too much time to surf the net. I found a breeder who used to live in Western Michigan who had moved to Kentucky. I started showing his FB pictures to my wife. After about a month or so of resisting, he posted free delivery to Kalamazoo for his pups.....

MichCard, really sorry to hear.   Charlie looks like a fun dog!

I employ getting another dog as a grieving strategy.  It works well for me.   When I lost my first dog a colleague gave me a book that was written from your dogs perspective and it was that he/she would want you to take care of and enjoy another dog.   We are on our 4th rescue dog.   Dogs are the absolute best.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I love the colors on the one on the left! I'm so jealous anytime I see cat pics though cause I'm highly allergic so I could never have one. 

She is the best cat I've ever owned. Loves people, plays fetch and is in charge of ushering us all off to bed at our designated bed times.

The black one is the sweetest cat I've ever owned. Total lap cat. She's visually impaired but sees well enough to get around fine.

• Like 2