Furry Friends

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What kind of treat were  you holding the air to get that pose?  

My Step Dad was a Vietnam Dog Handler so he's almost like a Dog whisperer, she is the 3rd dog I've had as an adult and each one I had him work with from when they were puppies and he trained them to basically do whatever you want on command.  That is her "sit pretty" position so if I tell her to do that she will instantly do it. 

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

I may someday have to get his paw print tattooed on my neck where his paw always rests.

It’s funny you bring this up. I got the paw print from the cremation service today, and I had the same thought. Thinking of getting his print tattoo’d on my back, since I know my buddy always had mine.

• Like 4

As an aside, if anyone in the area ever has to go through something like this in the future, I cannot recommend Pet Passages enough. I’m working with their Lake Orion location. They’ve been phenomenal, from my first tear-filled phone call, to accommodating any special request I had, to making me feel like their only client. I can’t imagine doing that job on a daily basis, but they are truly greater than I ever could have imagined.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm having a hard time. 

My dog is still alive at almost 17, but I already miss him.  I miss what he used to be and I know I can never have that back with him.   I KNOW what I need to do, but I can't do it.   He's been in the house all day.  He's afraid to step off the landing and onto the porch.  He's afraid to walk down the grass ramp I built him because he's afraid of falling.   It's time, but I just can't do it.  I'm overwhelmed with grief but also with guilt because I want to have a dog again, a dog that can do dog things and I just have this deep down feeling that I'm getting rid of him for a selfish need.    I won't wait to get another dog, I will start looking immediately because my house is not right without a dog - everything is off balance without a dog here, but I can't do it.    I'm so torn on this because he had a really good day yesterday (well, as good as you can have at 90 years old).  

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

I have had a couple of times where I considered calling the vet to come over, but this dog keeps rallying.  He had a great weekend, and he's feisty (for a 90 year old) today.   I just got home from work at 6:45...........Sitting here at my desk........he comes in with his toy and throws it to the ground at my feet (he does know how to throw).    Impressed by this dog every day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just called the home euthanasia vet and left a message and i could hardly get the phone number out.  It's gonna probably be tomorrow or Wednesday.    He can hardly walk.  I can't let him continue like this.   I should have done this earlier.   I am kind of mad at myself for letting it get this bad.    It hasn't been a good day.  

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Just called the home euthanasia vet and left a message and i could hardly get the phone number out.  It's gonna probably be tomorrow or Wednesday.    He can hardly walk.  I can't let him continue like this.   I should have done this earlier.   I am kind of mad at myself for letting it get this bad.    It hasn't been a good day.  

I’m so sorry. I know we are just internet strangers, but know that we are all here for you. 

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I’m so sorry. I’m hoping your experience with the vet home euthanasia will be as comforting as mine was.  Don’t get me wrong… it’s still devastating, but knowing your dog will be in his home with you, and that the vet will do all they need to in order to calm your pal, and make his last moments peaceful… it helps. 

• Like 1

On Diego's 11th birthday.  It was the first time I had given him a haircut and we did them at home from that point forward.  He hated the buzzing of the clippers but I bribed him with Cherrios.  He loved Cherrios.    Million-Watt Smile. 

In his honor, another dog is going to get a great life soon in a house that isn't right without a dog.   He rescued me six weeks after the passing of my previous dog Tony and he helped me get over it.  I won't wait that long this time.   My dog is out there somewhere, I just have to find him now.  5,412 amazing days for 2 miserable ones.  That's a good trade.   R.I.P. Mighty D.  

Diego Smiling.jpg

• Like 5