Stafford watch (A place for Stafford discussion)

RedRamage

Why is it Mathew Stafford's responsibility to cover medical costs?  I can see him being a nice guy and paying for the equipment....

I didn't like the crap he took yesterday.  He's not a medical person.  He's intoxicated.  Guy on Fox 2 just now said that many famous people are advise by PR staff to avoid "situations".  If something happens just walk away.  That could have been the reason he did that.  Instinct.

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

Why is it Mathew Stafford's responsibility to cover medical costs?  I can see him being a nice guy and paying for the equipment....

I didn't like the crap he took yesterday.  He's not a medical person.  He's intoxicated.  Guy on Fox 2 just now said that many famous people are advise by PR staff to avoid "situations".  If something happens just walk away.  That could have been the reason he did that.  Instinct.

This.

3 hours ago, oblong said:

I'm guessing at least based on reports I heard from him here in Detroit that he's not often in a situation where he would be able to practice this training, so I'm guessing that's not it.

With that though, we see this happen from the crowd vantage point, not from the Stafford's view.  I'm sure there were security and other folks that rushed to her side immediately who were already down where she fell.  In twitter-world, Kelly came off looking good and Matt looked bad.  This happens on a highway, people are yelling at Kelly to stop gawking and telling everyone to act like Matt and let the folks attending to the situation deal with it.

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

Let’s say Matt goes down there and tries to help and then suddenly they can say he made it worse somehow. He moved her wrong.  Anything. Once a situation occurs where someone hurt and a very rich person is involved an attorney can make hay out of it. 

good samaritan law would prevent such a lawsuit for that reason.  not that they wouldnt still try to sue you, they are plaintiffs attorneys, after all.

6 hours ago, oblong said:

Yeah this whole thing is a joke IMO.  I hate the world we live in.

50 minutes ago, sagnam said:

She might not have to now that Stafford is covering the bills.  But I’m sure the NFL would portray her as the McDonalds coffee lady.

The McDonald's coffee lady was actually a very legitimate suit. She had 3rd degree burns on her legs that required multiple surgeries resulting from outrageously hot coffee - like 200*, nearly boiling hot. She also wasn't the first person to complain, hundreds had complained of injuries from the coffee temp before she sued. McDonald's only offered her like $1000 to pay for her medical bills, and the jury found that McDonalds was negligent. They fined them two-days coffee sales, about $3 million. She ended up settling for about $500k and McDonalds lowered the temperature of their coffee.

Then when the corporate lawyers actually lost to the everyday American, they launched this massive (and extremely successful) smear campaign to make everyone think "oh the system is so broken, she spilled coffee, launched a frivolous lawsuit, and got off with millions!" when really, she was the personification of the legal system actually working.

The more you know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The McDonald's coffee lady was actually a very legitimate suit. She had 3rd degree burns on her legs that required multiple surgeries resulting from outrageously hot coffee - like 200*, nearly boiling hot. She also wasn't the first person to complain, hundreds had complained of injuries from the coffee temp before she sued. McDonald's only offered her like $1000 to pay for her medical bills, and the jury found that McDonalds was negligent. They fined them two-days coffee sales, about $3 million. She ended up settling for about $500k and McDonalds lowered the temperature of their coffee.

Then when the corporate lawyers actually lost to the everyday American, they launched this massive (and extremely successful) smear campaign to make everyone think "oh the system is so broken, she spilled coffee, launched a frivolous lawsuit, and got off with millions!" when really, she was the personification of the legal system actually working.

The more you know.

the coffee was so hot no human being could drink it.  she spilled it on herself and suffered third degree burns on her crotch.  

mcdonalds did offer her 500k.  why isnt that enough money?  her medical bills were much less than that and they were almost completely paid by insurance.

i can cite you a litany of cases where no one has done anything wrong and yet plaintiff attorneys mainpulate people's emotions and come up with ridiculous verdicts.  $1 billion for a death of a teenager.  $750 million for the death of a 70 year old woman.  $350 million for a man put into a wheelchair.  and that's just the last 6 months.

the legal system didnt work in the mcdonalds case and it doesnt work in most cases.  it asks 12 ordinary people to come up with a solution to a problem they have absolutely no knowledge of, but expect to be taught what they need to know in a week.  and that knowledge is filtered through a series of arcane rules of evidence to the point where the jury never knows the complete story.  

i am in this system every day.  it is THE WORST judicial system in the western world.  it is ridiculous and it benefits almost solely the attorneys who operate in it and earn MASSIVE amounts of money for doing it.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The more you know.

That was the point.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

the coffee was so hot no human being could drink it.  she spilled it on herself and suffered third degree burns on her crotch.  

mcdonalds did offer her 500k.  why isnt that enough money?  her medical bills were much less than that and they were almost completely paid by insurance.

i can cite you a litany of cases where no one has done anything wrong and yet plaintiff attorneys mainpulate people's emotions and come up with ridiculous verdicts.  $1 billion for a death of a teenager.  $750 million for the death of a 70 year old woman.  $350 million for a man put into a wheelchair.  and that's just the last 6 months.

the legal system didnt work in the mcdonalds case and it doesnt work in most cases.  it asks 12 ordinary people to come up with a solution to a problem they have absolutely no knowledge of, but expect to be taught what they need to know in a week.  and that knowledge is filtered through a series of arcane rules of evidence to the point where the jury never knows the complete story.  

i am in this system every day.  it is THE WORST judicial system in the western world.  it is ridiculous and it benefits almost solely the attorneys who operate in it and earn MASSIVE amounts of money for doing it.

https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

This says McDonalds offered 800 and she wanted 20k to pay her medical bills. 

About 15 years ago I was in a Red Robin eating and a freaking TV above me that must not have been anchored right fell right on my head and busted me open.  I'm the type of person that hates being the center of attention so when everybody came over freaking out I just downplayed it and acted like nothing happened, they ended up paying for mine and my then girlfriends meals and that was fine with me.  A few weeks go by and I'm getting these headaches and dizzy spells, now mind you I'm also epileptic so I see a neurologist regularly. 

I ask my neurologist about it during my regular visit and he asks did I suffer any head trauma recently and nothing came to mind until my GF who was in the room with me mentioned that TV incident which by then I forgot about it. My Doctor says he is certain I suffered a concussion, I again downplayed it but for about 5 years after that I suffered from post concussion syndrome where I would get these horrible headaches, sensitivity to light, dizzy spells etc. Long story short I regret not making a bigger deal out of it from the start, I fortunately had top of the line insurance so nothing costed me anything but my life did suffer for the better part of 5 years cause of it. 

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

About 15 years ago I was in a Red Robin eating and a freaking TV above me that must not have been anchored right fell right on my head and busted me open.  I'm the type of person that hates being the center of attention so when everybody came over freaking out I just downplayed it and acted like nothing happened, they ended up paying for mine and my then girlfriends meals and that was fine with me.  A few weeks go by and I'm getting these headaches and dizzy spells, now mind you I'm also epileptic so I see a neurologist regularly. 

I ask my neurologist about it during my regular visit and he asks did I suffer any head trauma recently and nothing came to mind until my GF who was in the room with me mentioned that TV incident which by then I forgot about it. My Doctor says he is certain I suffered a concussion, I again downplayed it but for about 5 years after that I suffered from post concussion syndrome where I would get these horrible headaches, sensitivity to light, dizzy spells etc. Long story short I regret not making a bigger deal out of it from the start, I fortunately had top of the line insurance so nothing costed me anything but my life did suffer for the better part of 5 years cause of it. 

you could have gotten yourself a nice pay day out of that.

31 minutes ago, buddha said:

They offered her $500k *after* a jury awarded her $3 million. And she took it. As sagnam said though originally she only wanted $20k.

I tend to agree that the legal system fails more often than it succeeds. I can’t say it’s the worst in the world because I have no experience elsewhere. I can say the criminal system is certainly no better than the civil system.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

They offered her $500k *after* a jury awarded her $3 million. And she took it. As sagnam said though originally she only wanted $20k.

I tend to agree that the legal system fails more often than it succeeds. I can’t say it’s the worst in the world because I have no experience elsewhere. I can say the criminal system is certainly no better than the civil system.

$3 million for that is quaint by today's standards.  you can get $3 million for a back strain nowadays if you play your cards right.

take randy's scenario.  if you put that claim with a good plaintiff's attorney, the first thing theyre going to do is send you to a plaintiff friendly neurologist who will produce a report that randy has a traumatic brain injury and that he will never be the same for the rest of his life.  he will sufferel from headaches, and memory loss and mood changes.  you get randy's wife or girlfriend to testify that he's not the same person that he used to be.  you'll find an expert to say that the way red robin places tvs right above where people are eating is a hazard, that they knew it was a hazard, and they did it anyway because they dont care about safety and they only care that it would cost them $50 to move it.  if randy really wanted to play it up, he could testify as to how it is really hard to work and concentrate and that he fears he might lose his job.  or heck, he quit his job because he cant do it anymore.

put it in wayne county, then you pick a jury full of teachers, nurses, women, and high school graduates and convince them that red robin is rich and poor randy is injured for the rest of his life.

boom.  youre a millionaire.