Stafford watch (A place for Stafford discussion)

RedRamage

50 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I hate watching the Rams because I keep thinking this could have been the Lions. They had the hall of fame receiver. They had a dominant DT like Donald and they didn't even win a playoff game. 

THEY COULD HAVE HAD DONALD!!!

Sorry for shouting. I know you’re aware. 

22 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

THEY COULD HAVE HAD DONALD!!!

Sorry for shouting. I know you’re aware. 

I don't blame them for passing on Donald since they had Suh and recently drafted Fairley. There were 7 straight players taken after Ebron who ended up making a Pro Bowl. Taylor Lewan would have been a good pick. Kyle Fuller, OBJ, CJ Mosley, and even Ryan Shazier pre-injury would have been great picks. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

I was always a big fan of Stafford...2011 I recall naming him a top 3 QB in the league.  Best QB we ever had and say what you want about not winning any meaningful games...it take a TEAM to win meaningful games.  People can look at Brady or Brees or Rodgers etc...they all had teams around them...normal above average functional teams...what Stafford did here with what he had is nothing short of amazing IMO.

a couple things:  look who has been coaching the lions.  no one i would define as a "radical thinker" other than maybe schwartz, but he never had the temperament to be a head coach.  

all that being said, the lions should have won that dallas game.  it was literally stolen from them.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2021 at 3:00 PM, RedRamage said:

I think we're all curious how Stafford will do this season... whether you want to see him succeed or fail or just curious how his play will effect the Lions pick, here's a place for discussion of the former Lions QB.

The thing about rooting against him so the Lions can get a better pick? After all these years, does it matter if we pick 24th or 30th? It doesn't matter, we'll end up picking some player nobody ever heard of or trading a boatload of picks to move up and ruin some kids life. Hall of Fame running back? Hall of fame receiver? Yes and yes. Future Hall of Fame QB (for 12 seasons?). Again, yes. And how many playoffs wins? A big fat ZERO. So go get 'em Matthew, make Detroit sorry. It took over 50 years but I'm finally rooting harder for a team other than Detroit....sigh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The thing about rooting against him so the Lions can get a better pick? After all these years, does it matter if we pick 24th or 30th? It doesn't matter, we'll end up picking some player nobody ever heard of or trading a boatload of picks to move up and ruin some kids life. Hall of Fame running back? Hall of fame receiver? Yes and yes. Future Hall of Fame QB (for 12 seasons?). Again, yes. And how many playoffs wins? A big fat ZERO. So go get 'em Matthew, make Detroit sorry. It took over 50 years but I'm finally rooting harder for a team other than Detroit....sigh.

Who are these 1st round picks the Lions have made that no one has ever heard of? Note you say that and then rattle off hall of famers that were 1st round picks. Whose life exactly did the Lions ruin? Drama queen much? 

I'm also trying to think of the last time the Lions traded up in the 1st round? What exactly was this boatload of picks the Lions traded? 

Edited by Motown Bombers

On 9/29/2021 at 1:07 PM, Motown Bombers said:

Who are these 1st round picks the Lions have made that no one has ever heard of? Note you say that and then rattle off hall of famers that were 1st round picks. Whose life exactly did the Lions ruin? Drama queen much? 

I'm also trying to think of the last time the Lions traded up in the 1st round? What exactly was this boatload of picks the Lions traded? 

A team isn't built on 1st round picks. You need later round picks to actually build a quality team. Identify the talent and then coach it up. The Lions haven't done this in my lifetime.

As for ruining kids lives? Yeah, all these current Hall of Famers haven't even won a playoff game. Stafford now has a chance once he got away from the worst run franchise in all of sports.

And trading up is just what I think they will do this season to get the highest rated QB. Try to replace Matthew and prolly strike out. Never forget the Charlie Batch, Chuck Long and Andre Ware picks. It took us years to find an elite QB and we traded him away. 

Saying something positive for you to defend the Lions history for the last 60+ years. I will give you this. It's an incredible accomplishment being so bad, for so long. Almost impossible. Quite a streak.