Stafford watch (A place for Stafford discussion)

RedRamage

On 11/16/2021 at 8:13 AM, Motown Bombers said:

It seems like the Lions Stafford would have ran it into the end zone and lowered his shoulder at the goal line if he needed to. Stafford's decision making seems to be deteriorating under McVay much the same Goff did. What does he do to his QBs? 

Interesting take.  Maybe Campbell's focus on the running game, controlling the ball, and protecting the QB and buckets-of-love with Goff will help "clear his head" decision-making wise and make him a better QB.  If the running game keeps producing at least average rushing totals 11 out of every 14 games that will certainly help.

Of course, Stafford's back pain may make him skittish about barreling into contact with the D.

• 2 weeks later...

Stafford has his highest INT % since 2013. Goff's INT rate went way down when he came Detroit. Stafford is turning the ball over at the same rate as Goff did last year. Only difference is Stafford is capable of making more big plays. At some point, the questions are going to turn to McVay. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

I don't know the stats but it seems like alot of Stafford picks this year have been of the "arm punt" variety. Basically the 3rd and long types where you just throw it 50 yards down the field in hopes of a penalty or miracle reception, if its intercepted no big deal cause it would be better than a punt anyway.   That would explain why some of his advance metrics like QBR and his PFF grade are still high despite the high interception rate cause they don't penalize those type of interceptions that much. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

They probably told that to the Rams defense after Stafford got them the lead and the defense gave up an 88 yard TD drive in 60 seconds. 

or his offensive line, who buckled and crumbled in the face of the niners pass rush very very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

So twice in one year I have had two individuals that I was highly critical of either prove me wrong or begin to do so. One is obviously Jim Harbaugh and the other is Matt Stafford. I won't say that Stafford has completely proved me wrong yet as I feel he needs to win next week against Tampa Bay to do so. But yeah, he is on his way to proving that he can indeed take a team deep into a playoff run and potentially a Super Bowl. He's proving that his salary and cap hit overall won't hold a team back from being a contending team. He has had a nice season and finally looked really good in a playoff game beating up on Arizona. I still hope overall that we maximize our draft position and will route for the Rams to lose. That said, I understand Stafford is making me look like Fredo with my take on him being a guy that couldn't get his team over the playoff hump.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wonder if the Rams would've been in the same position they are now regardless of whether they had Stafford or Goff.  If they pulled that same draw in the playoffs they surely would've beaten Arizona with Goff but we of course don't know if the bracket would have been different. 

The bracket would have been different because Goff and the Lions wouldn't have beaten the Cardinals which gave the division to the Rams. Stafford doesn't beat good teams. 

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wonder if the Rams would've been in the same position they are now regardless of whether they had Stafford or Goff.  If they pulled that same draw in the playoffs they surely would've beaten Arizona with Goff but we of course don't know if the bracket would have been different. 

The reason I question this is not to say that Stafford is equal to Goff, far from it in fact.  Just questioning it due to how the scores played out throughout the season. Like when Goff was injured or really bad that coincided with when LAR were either in their little rough patch and lost a few games anyway or when their schedule eased up and they were winning handily.  

Also when they turned it on the last 5 or 6 weeks of the season Goff did as well.  I think it's fair to think they may have lost a couple more games but even so that still might have given them Arizona the first game,  except the game would've been on the road but I don't think that would've mattered much. 

Congratulations to Matt Stafford to proving ever doubter in Detroit wrong. Me, Jeff Riger, Mike Valenti, Pat Caputo, and every fan and sports media blowhard who said you couldn't get a team over the hump. I always thought Stafford's production in crunch time combined with his salary cap hit would have held a team back from advancing in the playoffs. I was wrong and Matt Stafford got the job done, in exciting fashion to close out the game no less. I wanted the high draft pick to start the playoffs, but now that the Rams are where they are, I hope Stafford gets his chance to play in a Super Bowl for once. Go get em Stafford and win the big game!