Stafford watch (A place for Stafford discussion)

RedRamage

12 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Receiver not doing Stafford any favors there. I'm over my breakup with Stafford. I'm kind of rooting for the Rams to miss the playoffs. I want what's best for the Lions.

I'm surprised you, or any Lions fan, wasn't there for the beginning. What's best for the Lions should be what's best for Lions fans and the better the draft pick the better for the Lions.

Then again, to each their own. If somebody wants to root for Stafford, who am I or anybody else to criticize you?

I think the Stafford we saw last night, intermixed with the Matt Stafford we've seen all season, is who the real Stafford is. A guy who sometimes looks elite, sometimes looks great, sometimes looks average, and once in a while looks terrible. He's simply not an elite (top 5) QB and never deserved to be paid like one. I think he has all the physical tools to be a top 5 guy, but makes too many dumb decisions and metal errors to be that guy throughout the entirety of a season. While I don't think the Rams will miss the playoffs, I do think they will be an early exit and I'd put that on Stafford. Stafford to me is a lot like Harbaugh, in that he excels and looks great against the teams you expect him to and then in big game situations, frequently plays down and struggles to get over the hump.

8 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think the Stafford we saw last night, intermixed with the Matt Stafford we've seen all season, is who the real Stafford is. A guy who sometimes looks elite, sometimes looks great, sometimes looks average, and once in a while looks terrible. He's simply not an elite (top 5) QB and never deserved to be paid like one. I think he has all the physical tools to be a top 5 guy, but makes too many dumb decisions and metal errors to be that guy throughout the entirety of a season. While I don't think the Rams will miss the playoffs, I do think they will be an early exit and I'd put that on Stafford. Stafford to me is a lot like Harbaugh, in that he excels and looks great against the teams you expect him to and then in big game situations, frequently plays down and struggles to get over the hump.

Matthew Stafford wasn't even the highest paid QB in that game. He isn't even in the top 10 in salary. 

Jim Harbaugh went to a Super Bowl and multiple NFC Championship games. 

Stafford is 15th in the NFL in salary tied with Joey Bosa. Even non-QBs such as Hopkins and TJ Watt make more than Stafford. Jared Goff literally accounts for more of the Rams cap than any other player and the Rams still have been able to load up with stars. 

*Edit* Todd Gurley even takes up over $8 million of the Rams cap and our very own Michael Brockers takes up $2.5 million of the Rams cap. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

I'm surprised you, or any Lions fan, wasn't there for the beginning. What's best for the Lions should be what's best for Lions fans and the better the draft pick the better for the Lions.

Then again, to each their own. If somebody wants to root for Stafford, who am I or anybody else to criticize you?

i'm rooting for stafford.  i want him to win a super bowl.  i like the guy.

whether the lions pick 24th or 32nd doesnt mean all that much.  they should get a good player regardless.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

does jim harbaugh pay you a lot for that space he rents in your head?

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If the Rams lose their only playoff game, does McVay get fired? He orchestrated the Stafford trade and they provided him with a lot of star power. I kind of hope it implodes next year for that 2023 pick. 

Now that would be interesting.

Extremely doubtful (like, 99.9%) that happens...

but interesting scenario (from a Lion's fan POV).

2 hours ago, buddha said:

does jim harbaugh pay you a lot for that space he rents in your head?

So initially I said I'd lower the rent for every win over Ohio State. Then he came back to me and renegotiated a new deal at the start of last season and I agreed to lower the rent for every win over Mel Tucker. I even offered him cash back for every win over a top 10 opponent and double the money back for every win when he's the underdog. So far I've been keeping all the money I offered up.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, buddha said:

whether the lions pick 24th or 32nd doesnt mean all that much.  they should get a good player regardless.

I think it matters, you always want the higher pick not only to get the pick of higher rated prospects but as a more valuable trade chip if they want to trade up or down for that matter.

It might not mean much in the long run, but I will always root for the team holding my favorite teams' draft pick to lose as much as possible. Even in the Rams are in the Superbowl, I'd root for them to lose because I prefer the 31st pick to the 32nd (Ehh, I'd probably root for Stafford at that point). I guess you can say that I'm Magic Beanzzz obsessed. 

Edited by NYLion

On 11/16/2021 at 11:32 AM, buddha said:

I agree.  Stafford's success is more important to me at this time than a few pick slots for the Lions.  

When the Lions demonstrate that they are worth caring about, then I will care about this kind of thing.

Edited by sabretooth

Idk I was rooting against the Rams from day 1 cause for better or worse I'm a Lions fan first and want what's best for them and some of Staff's comments since then have only made me want to root against them more.

Like him saying he never played in a meaningful game here which led to the lazy media just jumping on that narrative and going with it. That's b.s.

Also I don't think he directly said this but Ive seen some of his interviews where it seemed to insinuate the Lions didn't bother to get him help which again is false. Virtually every early pick they made from 2011 on was used on guys they thought could help him, whether it were TEs, O lineman or RBs. Twice they signed the highest price FA WR in Tate and Jones as well as spending big on Bush. Things may have not worked out but it wasnt from lack of trying. 

I still don't wish any harm on him and Im glad he is happy but Im not gonna go out of my way to root for him or the Rams. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

On 11/16/2021 at 9:08 AM, Motown Bombers said:

Stafford is 15th in the NFL in salary tied with Joey Bosa. Even non-QBs such as Hopkins and TJ Watt make more than Stafford. Jared Goff literally accounts for more of the Rams cap than any other player and the Rams still have been able to load up with stars. 

*Edit* Todd Gurley even takes up over $8 million of the Rams cap and our very own Michael Brockers takes up $2.5 million of the Rams cap. 

I have to assume you read this the same way I did and chose to play dumb.  When stafford got his contract from the lions he was made the highest paid QB in the league.  Is it standard for the league to overpay based on potential?  Sure, but that’s beside the point. Clearly the statement of highest paid was accurate.

And for Harbaugh.  Doesn’t even make sense to bring up his NFL tenure when, again, the comments toward Harbaugh were obviously inferred to be his time at Michigan.  And at Michigan, he has failed every big test that has come his way, much like stafford.  

26 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

I have to assume you read this the same way I did and chose to play dumb.  When stafford got his contract from the lions he was made the highest paid QB in the league.  Is it standard for the league to overpay based on potential?  Sure, but that’s beside the point. Clearly the statement of highest paid was accurate.

And for Harbaugh.  Doesn’t even make sense to bring up his NFL tenure when, again, the comments toward Harbaugh were obviously inferred to be his time at Michigan.  And at Michigan, he has failed every big test that has come his way, much like stafford.  

Except for during the pandemic, the NFL salary cap always goes up. Stafford was just the next QB up. It's year 4 since he signed the extension and he is already down to 15th in salary. It hasn't been prohibitive in anyway for the Lions or Rams. 

And for Harbaugh, I'm not sure then why a college coach was brought up in an NFL thread.