Stafford watch (A place for Stafford discussion)

RedRamage

I'm happy for him and I don't hate it or anything, I did say all year I was hoping for them to lose just for a better pick but once they made the playoffs I really didnt care either way since I having the 24th or 32nd pick wasnt a major difference to me. 

With that said Im not gonna lie and act like Im over the moon or anything, judging by some fans reactions you would think their own team won, I'm not like that at alll.

I realize I am in the minority on this one, but I really don't care about Matthew Stafford anymore. Not only is he not on the team I root for, he in fact pushed for a trade to get away from my team. I don't blame him for wanting that, but strictly in terms of how he impacts any fandom I feel for the Lions, he's basically dead to me.

I won't root against him, but these days I feel no more for him than I do for Joe Burrow. His winning the Super Bowl does literally nothing for me or the Lions.

I do find it mildly amusing how local sports media is ginning up the love with a constant stream of feel-good Stafford stories. People still feel connected to him because of their Lions fandom. I understand that and I say good on ya for feeling that. I simply don't feel that way, is all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I realize I am in the minority on this one, but I really don't care about Matthew Stafford anymore

I don't have any personal feelings about Stafford either, but it's a good background story to the game as a fan in general. Good QBs that labor without winning the SB are usually stories that generate interest - Jim Kelly, Jim Plunkitt, Elway, that Marino never got back again. 

34 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

it's always been about the quick release with Stafford. He's tough to defend with zone coverage because the time from decision point to the ball arriving is his best attribute. I wonder if that is part of  why he has had so much success in come-from-behinds - don't most teams drop back into zones when playing 'prevent'?

The Bengals route to the Super Bowl so nearly removed from being the Bungals gives me (false?) hope for the Lions future, so I'd like to see them complete the run and win the Super Bowl. I'd like to see Stafford do well though, I certainly don't wish him to have a bad performance.

To a lesser extent, I am mindful of the draft position. While the Bengals will almost certainly take an OT with their first round pick, I think they may be one of the more likely teams to trade up a reasonable amount to go get their choice of OT. I wouldn't want to see whoever they trade with sniping Jameson Williams or Nakobe Dean from us at 31 while we sit at 32.

On 1/31/2022 at 12:24 PM, Motown Bombers said:

I wonder if the Colts are regretting trading a 1st rounder for Wentz when they probably could have traded that pick and an additional 1st for Stafford? The 49ers could have traded one less draft pick for Stafford instead of trading them for Trey Lance. 

The way I understood it, Matthew had to agree to go to whichever team wanted him.

On 2/9/2022 at 11:51 AM, chasfh said:

I realize I am in the minority on this one, but I really don't care about Matthew Stafford anymore. Not only is he not on the team I root for, he in fact pushed for a trade to get away from my team. I don't blame him for wanting that, but strictly in terms of how he impacts any fandom I feel for the Lions, he's basically dead to me.

I won't root against him, but these days I feel no more for him than I do for Joe Burrow. His winning the Super Bowl does literally nothing for me or the Lions.

I do find it mildly amusing how local sports media is ginning up the love with a constant stream of feel-good Stafford stories. People still feel connected to him because of their Lions fandom. I understand that and I say good on ya for feeling that. I simply don't feel that way, is all.

I feel good for Stafford because he's a good guy and I like to see good guys win, and rooting for him provides a little bit of a feeling as to what it's like to root for a Super Bowl QB.

And yeah, there's some f'ing warm shadenfreude in there...love for Stafford, and a big f-u Fords/Lions for not being able to turn Matt and Calvin (and Barry and the 90's Lions) into anything more than mediocre/occasional first-round-wipeout teams.  If you can't feel that anger against the Lions for wasting oppo after oppo, then man you need some lessons from people like me who love to be angry at a bad team, especially a bad team that's been bad for 60 years.

On 2/9/2022 at 11:51 AM, chasfh said:

This is about where Im at as well. I will say when Verlander left I did root hard for the Astros that year and rooted for him in particular but he is my favorite Detroit sports athlete ever so he was the exception,  generally once the guy leaves I really don't care either way what they do. 

I also feel with Lions fans part of the reason most are rooting so hard for Stafford is cause as Lions fan we never won anything so it's almost like those fans are trying to live their Lions fandom vicariously through Stafford since to them this is like the closest they ever gotten to celebrating a win in the NFL.

I just don't feel that way at all or share that experience. Im not looking forward to this SB anymore or any less than any other one. 

19 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I also feel with Lions fans part of the reason most are rooting so hard for Stafford is cause as Lions fan we never won anything so it's almost like those fans are trying to live their Lions fandom vicariously through Stafford since to them this is like the closest they ever gotten to celebrating a win in the NFL.

Yes there's the vicarious experience, but there's also the "WHY CAN'T YOU DO THIS LIONS???" message that Stafford's success sends, and that's a great message coming from the fans.  It won't improve anything with the Lions because nothing ever does improve the Lions, but it's better than yawning at Stafford's success in LA as if it has no larger significance.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Calors Monarrez at the Freep is not a fan.

he's sort of all over the place in his column. But Carlos is an old curmudgeon before his time.

I don't know what the point of dumping on Stafford for the Lion FO's inability for so many years to build the quality and depth (esp on at OL and secondary) to ever win consistently. It wasn't Matthew doing the drafting and signing. As he says, Stafford can win with a level of support the Lions only came close to giving him once. The question was always out there as to whether the Lions were good enough and Stafford wasn't or vice versa. So Stafford has answered that question and the Lion org looks the worse for it. That's not his fault.

OTOH, I can understand why there is little love for him in the local sports press. That would follow from the fact  he so resolutely refused to ever say anything significant or meaningful - esp to them, which was only drawn into higher contrast by the fact that Kelly too often did. 🙄

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

he's sort of all over the place in his column. But Carlos is an old curmudgeon before his time.

I don't know what the point of dumping on Stafford for the Lion FO's inability for so many years to build the quality and depth (esp on at OL and secondary) to ever win consistently. It wasn't Matthew doing the drafting and signing. As he says, Stafford can win with a level of support the Lions only came close to giving him once. The question was always out there as to whether the Lions were good enough and Stafford wasn't or vice versa. So Stafford has answered that question and the Lion org looks the worse for it. That's not his fault.

OTOH, I can understand why there is little love for him in the local sports press. That would follow from the fact  he so resolutely refused to ever say anything significant or meaningful - esp to them, which was only drawn into higher contrast by the fact that Kelly too often did. 🙄

Which is one of Monarrez's complaints, although I think there's been a lot of lovey dovey Stafford articles in the Detroit media.

It's true his article dumps a bit harder on the Lions than Stafford, although Monarrez does basically hang a shift in the entire franchise's fortunes on his failure to spot Calvin over the middle in that 2015 playoff loss. And he clearly has contempt for Stafford's lippy wife, not completely unjustified I believe.

I don't follow the Lions nearly as closely as I do the Tigers, but the difference in the way they ushered Calvin and Barry out the door versus the way they sent off Stafford with kisses and bouquets got by me completely, and is a fairly damning indictment of the Lions as far as I can tell.  

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't follow the Lions nearly as closely as I do the Tigers, but the difference in the way they ushered Calvin and Barry out the door versus the way they sent off Stafford with kisses and bouquets got by me completely, and is a fairly damning indictment of the Lions as far as I can tell.

The contrast was striking, but again, that's not Stafford's fault. More likely SHF (maybe with some input from Spielman) deciding it was time to change the background music. 

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The contrast was striking, but again, that's not Stafford's fault. More likely SHF (maybe with some input from Spielman) deciding it was time to change the background music. 

Right, not his fault, he just happened to be the great white hope they know.