3/31 @ 1:07 Tigers @ Blue Jays

Tigeraholic1

28 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Interesting that Greene is playing RF instead of CF today.

He needs to be ready to play right since if Hill does make the team Riley will play less CF. It will also be interesting what their internal HawkEye evaluations tell them over the season. The eye test is frustratingly inaccurate when judging an OF's overall time/distance to the ball. We only see how fast they seem to be moving (stride, etc), their real speed and first step are hard to assess visually. For instance there is some argument that Reyes actually may have better straight line OF speed than Hill or Greene, but because of his height and body conformation it doesn't look like it. Of course he is not as athletic as Greene or Hill in terms of catching the ball and you have to consider route efficiency, but just an example that everything can go into the mix on these decisions since they now have better quantitative data on everything.

Edited by gehringer_2

Tigers getting a little sloppy.  Manning gives up one long ball going 3 complete and responsible for 2 runners in the 4th. Not great, not bad. Had to be rescued by Greene in the 1st though. Vest comes in throws gasoline on the fire. 3-0 and still no out in the 4th.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

How is Greenes arm rated ? Better for center or right ?

It seems our outfield starters cumulatively might have the worst arms in Baseball ? Maybe Philly worst ? Possible ?

I don't think he will ever be confused with Clemente but I don't think he's Johnny Damon either so basically I say it's good enough for either position. Atleast from what I have read.  Of course in this day and age with less and less traffic on the base paths arm strength and accuracy doesn't mean as much as it might have before.  

11 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

How is Greenes arm rated ? Better for center or right ?

It seems our outfield starters cumulatively might have the worst arms in Baseball ? Maybe Philly worst ? Possible ?

yup - It's a limit on Hill's potential DRS. He doesn't have the arm to match his catching ability. Otherwise Reyes, Hill, Green, Grossman all pretty meh aren't they? Still have some hope that Baddoo's arm could be better this year with the extra year after TJ. His was erratic last season so that has potential to improve but at this point he hasn't shown anything there yet.

Judging by his triple slash numbers Haase has had a solid spring, after his disastrous finish to the season last year I basically convinced myself that he just had a lucky couple months and not to expect anything from him going forward but if he indeed proves to not be a flash in the pan and gives the Tigers even passable numbers that is an unexpected bonus, atleast in my mind and projections. 

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Haase's power is legit, but I doubt he'll ever get on base enough where you'll him to get more than 200 PA.  He is OK as a backup.  

I don't see Haase catching more than just enough to stay sharp - Hinch seems to like Garneau as a receiver. I suppose like anyone - if Garneau doesn't hit at all he'll still be gone. But other than that Haase's opportunities depend mostly on how much Hinch ends up protecting Baddoo and Greene from LHP. Grossman and Reyes are better against lefties as it is.