Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Is Melton technically a rookie this season? If so, he’s pitching his way into the AL ROY discussion.

Per baseball reference he exceeded rookie limits last year

Posted
1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Whatever, find somebody else to post your arguments. I just don't give up on a season with 50 games to go just because we're 4 games out of a wildcard spot. 

Not only are we are still in it, but I'd say if the Tigers were a couple of games closer they'd actually be division favorites. Based on pre-trade deadline rosters anyways. Right now on July 28 it's:

Chicago  ------

Cleveland  1.5

Minnesota 2.0

Detroit       5.0

If in 2 weeks August 11 it's:

Chicago -----

Cleveland 1.5

Minnesota 2.0

Detroit     3.0

then I'd like the Tigers' chances better than any of the other three.

Posted

If they aren’t going to sell, they need to buy.   They can’t do nothing. 

They need at least one solid bullpen arm and something that allows them not to play McKinstry or Vierling everyday.  Carp isn’t the answer for that.  

Posted
3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

If they aren’t going to sell, they need to buy.   They can’t do nothing. 

They need at least one solid bullpen arm and something that allows them not to play McKinstry or Vierling everyday.  Carp isn’t the answer for that.  

Agreed. RF is a problem. Having Jobe in the BP may help and I would like to see Montero back there. But yeah, we still need another dependable arm.

Posted
7 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Agreed. RF is a problem. Having Jobe in the BP may help and I would like to see Montero back there. But yeah, we still need another dependable arm.

Having Jobe back will add a BP arm, and if Flaherty comes back (and isn't traded) Montero likely goes back to the bullpen.  That's 2 adds without any trades.

Posted
2 hours ago, 4hzglory said:

Having Jobe back will add a BP arm, and if Flaherty comes back (and isn't traded) Montero likely goes back to the bullpen.  That's 2 adds without any trades.

And Javy.....he can hit a little better than Outman....sometimes. 🤣 

Posted
On 7/28/2026 at 9:58 PM, Tenacious D said:

No one wants to see this team lose, but when your bullpen is blowing more opportunities than they save, why would anyone think that  will improve? You could add Mason Miller and unless he can pitch the 6-9 innings in most games, there isn’t much to be optimistic about.

The Tiger bullpen will continue to blow save opportunities until the morale of this message board improves.

  • Haha 1
Posted
3 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Really surprised they didn't wait until Aug 15th.

I don’t think the extra year matters as much with top prospects these days.  If he does what he’s supposed to do,  he’ll get an early extension.  If he doesn’t,  the extra year won’t be needed. 

Posted
Just now, Hongbit said:

I don’t think the extra year matters as much with top prospects these days.  If he does what he’s supposed to do,  he’ll get an early extension.  If he doesn’t,  the extra year won’t be needed. 

I was more concerned with making sure he would be eligible for ROY considerations next year to hopefully net us a first round pick at the end of the round. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
Quote

Furthermore, some of the market's most engaged teams are going to be waiting on Skubal, which could stall some of the better players from moving. Perhaps that includes Detroit's own Casey Mize, whose fastball velocity dipped 2 mph from his yearly average in his last start but has a 2.70 ERA on the season. Gleyber Torres also will be one of the better right-handed-hitting options. There are relievers (Kyle Finnegan, Kenley Jansen, Drew Anderson). The Tigers are a solid collection of talent that played to a 10th-percentile outcome. It's an immensely frustrating outcome. It's also the thing that helped make this deadline.

Good summation of the season from Jeff Passan..they tried some things, had the 4-21 stretch and have failed miserably in leverage. Time to move.

Edited by kdog
  • Like 2
Posted
33 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Really surprised they didn't wait until Aug 15th.

I am too.  It definitely indiacates they are trying to win, even if they end up trading Skubal, which at this point, I think they should.  Looks like the end of Outman, or is Vierling injured enough to go to the IL?

  • Like 1
Posted
23 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

I am too.  It definitely indiacates they are trying to win, even if they end up trading Skubal, which at this point, I think they should.  Looks like the end of Outman, or is Vierling injured enough to go to the IL?

I'll wager on Vierling to the DL for now.

  • Like 1
Posted
56 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t think the extra year matters as much with top prospects these days.  If he does what he’s supposed to do,  he’ll get an early extension.  If he doesn’t,  the extra year won’t be needed. 

It doesn’t, but we’ve already waited this long.  What’s two more weeks?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kdog said:

Good summation of the season from Jeff Passan..they tried some things, had the 4-21 stretch and have failed miserably in leverage. Time to move.

The most important takeaway for me from Passan is the idea that we played—we have been playing—to our 10th percentile outcome. This was a good team constructed to win the Central and events have conspired against our projecting to accomplish that.

I'm still using the present perfect continuous tense because the season is still in progress and I remember 2024. But that year was different because there were literally no expectations for that team. There are for this team, though, and it's been frustrating. But still, this is a season in progress.

I can't remember who here said this, but someone here said Chris Ilitch did not spend $240-some million on payroll just to sell off, blow it all up, and start over, and I agree with that. I believe that's why I believe there won't be some dramatic selloff. We might sell Skubal—mightif we can get a monster return, but I think it's just as likely we keep him, too. But I'd also be inclined to bet we keep everyone else.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 2
Posted
1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I was more concerned with making sure he would be eligible for ROY considerations next year to hopefully net us a first round pick at the end of the round. 

It's possible we could have Max for the rest of the year and still not give him the 140 ABs he'd need to clear rookie status.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
Just now, chasfh said:

It's possible we could have Max for the rest of the year and still not give him the 140 ABs he'd need to clear rookie status.

I think there is also a 45 day timeframe that he would for sure be over if he’s up the entire time. 

Posted
1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I was more concerned with making sure he would be eligible for ROY considerations next year to hopefully net us a first round pick at the end of the round. 

Yes.

And based on this, I don't know why they didn't call up a bencher for two weeks and then swap him out for Max Clark.

Maybe they don't think much of Trei Cruz or Gage Workman... but they could have utility'd for a couple weeks... IMO.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...