2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Giolito is now injured and will miss at least a couple of starts.  All the injuries to the White Sox staff are making the divisional title a realistic goal  

yup, although I didn't realize Lance Lynn would be back - I thought for some reason he was done for the year.

21 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Giolito is now injured and will miss at least a couple of starts.  All the injuries to the White Sox staff are making the divisional title a realistic goal  

All the Tigers can do is out there and take care of their own business.  Everything else will happen however it happens.

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yup, although I didn't realize Lance Lynn would be back - I thought for some reason he was done for the year.

Giolito will be back too, but once a pitcher gets injured, you don't know what's going to happen when he gets back.  Pitching injuries have a way of lingering.  

I think Goodrum batted third because the usual third place hitter Bregman was getting the day off and they didn't want to disrupt the rest of the line-up.  That doesn't seem like a great reason to me, but managers do this frequently so they must think that is best for the team.   

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I think Goodrum batted third because the usual third place hitter Bregman was getting the day off and they didn't want to disrupt the rest of the line-up.  That doesn't seem like a great reason to me, but managers do this frequently so they must think that is best for the team.   

Old school managers, for sure. Leyland did that shit all the time.

13 hours ago, chasfh said:

This is happening tonight in Anaheim.

This guy thinks this might be the explanation:

what if his previous managers only batted him third against bad left-handers? Stat would be be pretty meaningless then. There is always an issue of relying on statistics when you really have no idea what they are telling you.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

what if his previous managers only batted him third against bad left-handers? Stat would be be pretty meaningless then. There is always an issue of relying on statistics when you really have no idea what they are telling you.

Counterpoint:

In Dusty we trusty. 

On 4/8/2022 at 6:15 AM, Tenacious D said:

Nobody wants to see him fail or under-achieve.  

Not too sure about that. Comments last season optimistic that Victor would make the team coming out of spring training this year, were met here with dis-enthusiasm,  so my post was mostly one of wanting to rub that reality into all the grouse's faces.  Looks like I hit my mark, too. 😁

Nice triple today 

52 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

Not too sure about that. Comments last season optimistic that Victor would make the team coming out of spring training this year, were met here with dis-enthusiasm,  so my post was mostly one of wanting to rub that reality into all the grouse's faces.  Looks like I hit my mark, too. 😁

Nice triple today 

The reality is that he usually has an OPS of around .700 in 250 at bats doing most of the damage against LHP.  That's what he'll probably do this year too.  

12 hours ago, diaspora04 said:

Does anyone know if the May 10 games against the As are a "true" DH or merely a twinight?  I cannot tell from the schedule posted on detroittigers.com.

Don't take this for gospel, but it looks like a "true" DH.  My guess is that is because there is no time attached to it.

image.png.30aaa86e573a4d68e82c497a283e9864.png

Contrast that game 2 and no time stuck to it with the Twins' DH a few weeks later.  There are times noted for both games.

image.png.e0479b59efb8474baad4392f16e111e5.png

38 minutes ago, casimir said:

Don't take this for gospel, but it looks like a "true" DH.  My guess is that is because there is no time attached to it.

image.png.30aaa86e573a4d68e82c497a283e9864.png

Contrast that game 2 and no time stuck to it with the Twins' DH a few weeks later.  There are times noted for both games.

image.png.e0479b59efb8474baad4392f16e111e5.png

maybe go to the ticket site and see if you can buy a ticket to the 2nd game?

Okay kids, this has probably been answered but I don't have the patience to seek out the answer. If I, a resident of Michigan, subscribe to MLBtv, am I still blacked out for Tigers games? If so, would having a VPN effectively mask my location so that I could watch Tigers games on my device(s)?

I refuse to pay for a tv service as we cut the cord five years ago.

1 minute ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Okay kids, this has probably been answered but I don't have the patience to seek out the answer. If I, a resident of Michigan, subscribe to MLBtv, am I still blacked out for Tigers games? If so, would having a VPN effectively mask my location so that I could watch Tigers games on my device(s)?

Yes and Yes

4 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

If so, would having a VPN effectively mask my location

sure, as long as the VPN was located outside the blackout area. If you are buying VPN service expressly to avoid a sports blackout, that is what you are looking for, but just because it's a VPN doesn't necessarily mean it's somewhere else. My employer runs a VPN I have access to, but it's hosted here. It wouldn't do me any good for watching MLB.

Edited by gehringer_2

38 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Yes. and here's how to do it, if you want to watch it on your TV rather than a laptop:

I was able to do this and successfully get the Tigers feed (i.e., Dan Dickerson) for this past series even though I am blacked out from White Sox (and Cubs) games on MLB.tv.

NOTE: this will still not work for iOS devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad) since they use there own geolocation protocol that appears to defeat any attempt to use VPN to spoof location.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yes. and here's how to do it, if you want to watch it on your TV rather than a laptop:

I was able to do this and successfully get the Tigers feed (i.e., Dan Dickerson) for this past series even though I am blacked out from White Sox (and Cubs) games on MLB.tv.

NOTE: this will still not work for iOS devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad) since they use there own geolocation protocol that appears to defeat any attempt to use VPN to spoof location.

you can turn off location services on an IOS/MACOS device. You would think that would make a difference, but maybe not....Haven't tried it.