2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This may be closer to my feelings on it as well. I guess my initial post was more of a reaction to the reaction from a lot of the baseball media to the move by the Dodgers. And the reaction, imo, sort of stands in contrast to the concern that many of the same folks may had toward/about the players during the CBA.

Bringing it back to the Tigers, part of me sees it from the perspective of watching our team lose its most established starter last year a few weeks after throwing a 117 pitch no-hitter. It's probably not strictly that game that led Turnbull to end needing TJ, but it sort of brought home to me that there can be risks in overexposing guys.

and that was then it seemed like there was a no hitter every week so big deal....

did they confirm there was a change to the ball or something?

16 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Mariners-White Sox this afternoon.... Sox score on two straight routine popups botched by the Mariners (made difficult by windy conditions). 🙄

Can't quite remember anything like it

Is it just me, or does anyone agree that it looks like this ball is originally tracked right above the mound, maybe slightly to the 1B side, based on the Mariners’ initial reactions?  That’s crazy.  Did Chicago trade for the MetroDome’s air conditioning system?

4 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I disagree on both devaluing a perfect game into being just a “super cool headline” and also that it would be borderline negligent to send him out past 80 pitches but that’s just a difference in opinion not a right or wrong thing.  

This isn’t covered in the unwritten rules of baseball manuscripts, is it?

7 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

I thought it was especially poignant in tonight's post game interview, where they asked Victor what he was doing differently, and his reply "golpear la pelota donde no hay nadie"

So much for the BA/BIP critics....😱

Wee Willie Reyes.

16 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Homefield advantage in the windy city.

Here’s what it was like elsewhere in the city:

Driving home yesterday afternoon and turned into the alley to get to my garage. First, a gust into the shotgun-side door tried to tip the car over. You could definitely feel the side-to-side movement. But then as I continued on, down at the end of the alley, i saw two of those big black garbage cans being pushed by the wind across the alley, one tipping completely over. It helped that they were empty, but still, very weird scene not seen here by me before.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

I thought it was especially poignant in tonight's post game interview, where they asked Victor what he was doing differently, and his reply "golpear la pelota donde no hay nadie"

So much for the BA/BIP critics....😱

he does look like a different hitter this season. Time will tell if that is a better hitter, but so far so good for 13 PA

Edited by gehringer_2

One week in 

Top of the rotation has been extremely disappointing (but its early)

Back of rotation were really good in their first starts. 

Candy & Robbie have been let downs so far

Baez really is an exciting player

Torkelson is starting to relax a bit, which is awesome for us. 

The new guys (Meadows & Baez) have been fantastic

I keep referring to Austin Meadows as Auston Matthews

The bullpen has been terrific.

Seems like our bats always start slowly. 

3-4 is a slight letdown, but as long as they stay away from 9-24 territory, things should go well

It's still destined to be a .500 team this yaer. 

My observations:

Badoo needs to bring his glove to the field.  

Miggy is hitting like he wants the 3000 by May 1st and it might not take that long. 

Vic Reyes is one of the best Robbie Grossman 2021-quality ABs on the team. 

Austin Meadows is very good.  

Ed Rodriguez is in the running for Zimmerman level scary bad. 

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

My observations:

Badoo needs to bring his glove to the field.  

Miggy is hitting like he wants the 3000 by May 1st and it might not take that long. 

Vic Reyes is one of the best Robbie Grossman 2021-quality ABs on the team. 

Austin Meadows is very good.  

Ed Rodriguez is in the running for Zimmerman level scary bad. 

Why does calling him Ed Rodriguez seem so strange? 

18 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why does calling him Ed Rodriguez seem so strange? 

Maybe because "Ed" is such a traditional old-man American nickname, it looks weird paired with non-English names. Like Ed Fukiyama or Ed Ciccolini might be. Last names like those practically beg for an "Eddie".

36 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

One week in 

I keep referring to Austin Meadows as Auston Matthews

You think that's bad? Dan Dickerson has been repeatedly referring to him as "Parker Meadows", and he does baseball names for a living.

18 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Mariners-White Sox this afternoon.... Sox score on two straight routine popups botched by the Mariners (made difficult by windy conditions). 🙄

Can't quite remember anything like it

Elmn Young: "Nobody can look worse in Chicago tracking a fly ball than me."

Mariners fielders: "Hold our gloves.."

35 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Interesting...

I remember that discussion shortly after the stadium open. That was on John McHale for not paying attention when Tigers brass signed off. One of his many follies.

They did some changes in the 2010 (?) upgrade of Comerica. The defects aren't as glaring now. (edit) among the changes they raised the scoreboard 16 feet...

Edited by CMRivdogs