2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

38 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The game is not slower because of gambling.  The suggestion was that owners might not push as hard for faster paced games if they found it wasn't beneficial for gambling.  There is no doubt that gamblers have become the big new target audience.  It is possible that gamblers don't care about the pace of the game though.  

gambling companies dont have any interest in making the games longer.  MLB has other interests besides the gambling companies and does not change the game to keep them happy (in theory, in reality they dont care about pace of play) at the expense of the product.

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I would guess they are hesitant to replace Badoo with Hill given each players "potential" ceiling. We are probably stuck with Badoo "improving" in center until Riley Greene arrives and even he might be better served in a corner. So centerfielder's should still be on Al's shopping list.

We have two legit CF right now in Hill and Cameron, who have had limited exposure in the majors.  I’d like to give them the shot first.  Baddoo is playing out of position in CF.

Haha this is awesome! Even though as a Detroiter the Tigers were my number 1 team as a teen that era of Mariners team were by bandwagon team. I had all their jerseys and hats including the color here. They were just the "cool" team for kids my age at the time with guys like Griffey and A-Rod.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not MLB related but this is just crazy. He's now retired his last 52 batters in a row. He touches 104mph with to go along wtih that splitter, just completely unfair to hitters, only 20 years old too. Honestly he may be the best pitching prospect ever. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not MLB related but this is just crazy. He's now retired his last 52 batters in a row. He touches 104mph with to go along wtih that splitter, just completely unfair to hitters, only 20 years old too. Honestly he may be the best pitching prospect ever. 

I wonder if he is related to Sidd Finch.

I bet the teams now have more data on this with e tickets.  But observationally I notice people start leaving around 9:45 for night games during the summer. School season is a different thing especially midweek games. Those are throwaways.  I don’t think it’s length of game but time. I notice I leave LCA around 9:45 for hockey games.  That’s about cutoff I think.  My youngest is about done by then. If it’s just me or with someone else we stay until the end. 

8 hours ago, oblong said:

I bet the teams now have more data on this with e tickets.  But observationally I notice people start leaving around 9:45 for night games during the summer. School season is a different thing especially midweek games. Those are throwaways.  I don’t think it’s length of game but time. I notice I leave LCA around 9:45 for hockey games.  That’s about cutoff I think.  My youngest is about done by then. If it’s just me or with someone else we stay until the end. 

So if we're talking concessions revenue, 9:45 is probably around the time that stands are ramping things down, certainly for beer sales (if they still shut those down around the 7th inning).

It'd be interesting to see in game betting and how different situations affect betting.  Is there more action (as a % of total) in close & late situations because bettors have the bets themselves, but there is also the draw in of a close game (ie, a bit more of a dose of adrenaline)?  The game also slows down a bit then with pitching changes and deliberate delays in the game flow itself.  

11 minutes ago, casimir said:

So if we're talking concessions revenue, 9:45 is probably around the time that stands are ramping things down, certainly for beer sales (if they still shut those down around the 7th inning).

It'd be interesting to see in game betting and how different situations affect betting.  Is there more action (as a % of total) in close & late situations because bettors have the bets themselves, but there is also the draw in of a close game (ie, a bit more of a dose of adrenaline)?  The game also slows down a bit then with pitching changes and deliberate delays in the game flow itself.  

but there would have to be a direct $ link between people placing bets in real time and income to the team (not just to the sports book) before the team cares about it. At least until the teams start running their own books. Right now there is a sponsorship/advertising link, but if those are fixed dollar amounts, they won't drive teams' in-game motivations. Just because someone may make more money on a longer game under some circumstances doesn't mean the team does - yet.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

but there would have to be a direct $ link between people placing bets in real time and income to the team (not just to the sports book) before the team cares about it. At least until the teams start running their own books. Right now there is a sponsorship/advertising link, but if those are fixed dollar amounts, they won't drive teams' in-game motivations. Just because someone may make more money on a longer game under some circumstances doesn't mean the team does - yet.

They won’t direct revenue for the teams but in business the boss is the one who gives the money.  

I used to golf with my boss once a year in a foursome. He was good friends with a guy who owned some businesses. He had the nicest private home I was ever invited to. He and I would play my boss and another friend, they both were English. He got a call and said “sorry that was the boss”. I said “I thought you were the boss?”  He says “there’s always another boss.  Banks. Investors” 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I was thinking for off MLB in total for betting revenue.

46 minutes ago, casimir said:

I was thinking for off MLB in total for betting revenue.

right - but John Deere doesn't care about Monsanto profits even though Monsanto depends on farmers using John Deere Tractors. The money has to go to MLB/teams to influence their behavior. And of course, that may yet happen.

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It's been almost 48 hours since Matt Manning came out of the game Saturday and we have not heard boo on next steps. Is that good news or bad news? I guess we'll find out soon enough ...

There hasn't been any updates on Mize either.  Wasn't he supposed to get more tests done today?