2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

My dad who grew up in TN and would never have had a reason to say Montreal in his life would say it like they would on CBC... "mun-tri-aw"  instead of the midwestern 'Mon-Tre-All" He picked up on that when he became a hockey fan in the 60s and 70's.   He'd pull out the small black and white TV every Saturday and put it next to our regular one so we could watch both the Wings and HNIC.

3 hours ago, oblong said:

My dad who grew up in TN and would never have had a reason to say Montreal in his life would say it like they would on CBC... "mun-tri-aw"  instead of the midwestern 'Mon-Tre-All" He picked up on that when he became a hockey fan in the 60s and 70's.   He'd pull out the small black and white TV every Saturday and put it next to our regular one so we could watch both the Wings and HNIC.

But how does your dad say "Newfoundland"?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

But how does your dad say "Newfoundland"?

He would say it the right way because it's kind of like how they would say Louisville or Nashville.... kind of lazy.  They're from a town called Cookeville and they say it 'cuh-vul'.   Half a mumble.

16 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

An American broadcaster says Toe-ron-toe with very dry precise letter t's.  Canadian is a bit musher, a bit more Irish, and it comes out closer to Cheronto.  Same with Mawn-tree-all versus Munch-ree-all.

When I'm in Portland, Oregon, they pronounce where I live as "Van koo ver BEE SEE" or "Van koo ver Can ah dah".   If I say I'm from Vancouver, they think I mean the little hiccup Vancouver, Washington just across the river from them.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

He would say it the right way because it's kind of like how they would say Louisville or Nashville.... kind of lazy.  They're from a town called Cookeville and they say it 'cuh-vul'.   Half a mumble.

I have a buddy who is very well-educated and prides himself as a when-in-Rome guy, knowledgeable about how to talk and act and eat like a local in any city he's in, but he is congenitally unable to accept that it is not pronounced "new-FOUND-lund".

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I have a buddy who is very well-educated and prides himself as a when-in-Rome guy, knowledgeable about how to talk and act and eat like a local in any city he's in, but he is congenitally unable to accept that it is not pronounced "new-FOUND-lund".

I did a book report in fifth grade and Newfoundland so I had to learn early on. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The Tigers are actually facing a tough decision.  They will have to drop at least 2 pitchers with the roster cut and Chafin's return.  Nice problem to have.    As far as Mize & Manning go, I totally expect to hear we've lost one of them for the season.   I hope that's not the case, but this is normal in baseball now.  

27 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Tigers are actually facing a tough decision.  They will have to drop at least 2 pitchers with the roster cut and Chafin's return.  Nice problem to have.    As far as Mize & Manning go, I totally expect to hear we've lost one of them for the season.   I hope that's not the case, but this is normal in baseball now.  

FWIW, I believe Rony Garcia being sent down after the last game covers Chafin being reinstated/.

Theoretically, they will now be able to keep the amount of pitchers they currently have on the roster (14) thru May 29th with the rule adjustment, although we will see how they actually choose to handle it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Willi get moved down depending on how things go with Baez and the infielders. AJ seems to like having a good amount of options in the bullpen and one thinks he would want as many as possible for as long as possible.

32 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

though they can carry 14 pitchers, that gives you a 3-man bench, and i cannot believe Hinch would go with Garneau, Haase and Harold. so 3rd catcher experiments ends soon I hope - even with a 4 man bench.

I do agree on the catcher experiement, something's gotta give. Particular given Barnhart's relatively improved performance over the weekend.

55 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Son of a...........

I met his dad and uncle at the final game at TS. I had a Catalanotto jersey and they came up and introduced themselves. I was so mad when they traded him.

So was I! He was the one I most wanted to keep on the team.

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

My feel old moment today was when my Program Director announced 10,000 Maniacs are playing at the Ark and reminded us that Natalie Merchant left them 29 years ago...................29 years ago?   Holy Hell.  

I saw 10,000 Maniacs (Live, right in front of the stage) about 32 years ago so...

Yeah.

She was a whirling/ twirling dervish back then...