2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

so who would have thought we'd already be missing Isaac Paredes? In short order we've gone from having plenty of IF depth to Harold's hands turning to stone, Candy's and Schoop's bats turning to mush, and Kreidler on the IL, and Willi still just being Willi. Of course we've already had 3 OFs on the IL as well....

Not sure how bad it has to get before we see Zach Short or Clemens.

Edited by gehringer_2

30 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

so who would have thought we'd already be missing Isaac Paredes? In short order we've gone from having plenty of IF depth to Harold's hands turning to stone, Candy's and Schoop's bats turning to mush, and Kreidler on the IL, and Willi still just being Willi. Of course we've already had 3 OFs on the IL as well....

The lack of position players on the 40 man seems perplexing to me, although it could be the injuries that have taken its toll.  It just doesn't seem to mesh.  Maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal if guys like Candelario and Schoop weren't swinging toothpicks.

Too many variables going the wrong way for the Tigers right now.  Something has to give at some point, right?

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

If we weren't missing Paredes, we'd be missing Austin Meadows. Although the broader point is well taken

55 minutes ago, casimir said:

The lack of position players on the 40 man seems perplexing to me, although it could be the injuries that have taken its toll.  It just doesn't seem to mesh.  Maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal if guys like Candelario and Schoop weren't swinging toothpicks.

Too many variables going the wrong way for the Tigers right now.  Something has to give at some point, right?

Maybe the Tigers should fire Scott Coolbaugh instead of A.J. Hinch? 

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Absolutely, the floodgates are about to open.  One can hope anyway.  

24 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Wait a minute, there's talk of firing Hinch?  Utter nonsense.

Caveat -- I know there were some that were suspect of the Hinch hiring because of the trash can episode, and I understand that.

Can they send Candy down?      I'd be willing to give Kody Clemens a try.   They really need to try anything at this point.  This team is a disaster.   Can't call up Kreidler now, he'll be out until July.   It just sucks, every thing sucks. 

This whole town wants to get behind a team - ANY TEAM, but they all build us up just to let us down. 

I don't get this insistence to put Candy & Schoop back-to-back.   That's a black hole in the lineup where rallies. light and hope go to die.  

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Do you realize there is more hope for the Lions right now than the Tigers?        

Are they over-coaching these guys right now, more concerned with launch angle than just hitting the damn ball. 

Maybe they should just not have Schoop get his Visa until May 1st. 

"Do you realize there is more hope for the Lions right now than the Tigers?" is easily the dumbest sentence I have come across this month, but we still have today to get through, so there's time.

Atlanta was 8 games behind on June 16 last year.  There is a lot of season yet to go.

25 minutes ago, casimir said:

Wait a minute, there's talk of firing Hinch?  Utter nonsense.

Caveat -- I know there were some that were suspect of the Hinch hiring because of the trash can episode, and I understand that.

There's always going to be talk of firing the manager on a losing team.

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

And replace him with who? Lloyd McClendon?

Considering the improved walk rate, I'm not even sure Coolbaugh is doing a bad job, let alone whether he should be worried

Edited by mtutiger

fire hinch?  lol.

why fire the guy who made chicken salad out of chicken shit last year?  if you want to fire someone, fire the guy who gave him the ingredients for chickem shit and told him to make coq au vin.

the tigers dont have a lot of talent and the talent they do have is hurt.  a lot of last year's flukes are off to bad starts.  

if they get healthy, they'll get better.  if not, they'll continue to lose.  other teams are going through the same thing (look at the white sox).

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

fire hinch?  lol.

why fire the guy who made chicken salad out of chicken shit last year?  if you want to fire someone, fire the guy who gave him the ingredients for chickem shit and told him to make coq au vin.

the tigers dont have a lot of talent and the talent they do have is hurt.  a lot of last year's flukes are off to bad starts.  

if they get healthy, they'll get better.  if not, they'll continue to lose.  other teams are going through the same thing (look at the white sox).

I would just add that, overall, the pitching has held up well despite setbacks of their own. Particularly the bullpen, and unlike last year, they may be real because a lot of the standouts (Lange, Fulmer, Vest, etc.) don't have Funkhouser-esque peripherals.

If they can start hitting, they'll easily be in contention for .500.

Yankees have hit 29 homers, tigers have hit 8.

Angels have a .441 slugging %…tigers have a .310 slugging.

They are last in both leagues in homers, second to last in slugging. 

respectable 8th in the AL in obp. That’s walks and singles.

I think some people had overly high expectations for the Tigers going into the year.  They aren't that good and they over performed somewhat last year.  This is still a development year.  The only way they were going to be a strong contender was if all the key young players broke out this year which is always a longshort.   What dissapointments me most is that three of the most important young players that we wanted to watch are hurt.  Hopefully, their development is only delayed.  Their pitching actually hasn't been bad and their hitting will get better.  

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think some people had overly high expectations for the Tigers going into the year.  They aren't that good and they over performed somewhat last year.  This is still a development year.  The only way they were going to be a strong contender was if all the key young players broke out this year which is always a longshort.   What dissapointments me most is that three of the most important young players that we wanted to watch are hurt.  Hopefully, their development is only delayed.  Their pitching actually hasn't been bad and their hitting will get better.  

I haven't made any predictions about wins and losses, that ends up where it ends up. The frustration is the guys we are not getting to see play, and terrible defensive play by the guys that are out there. It's hard to blame management because so many guys are playing abysmally below standard. I never expected Harold to challenge for any gold gloves, but other than coming in, which he does reasonably well, I don't think I have seen him make a single play at more than arm's reach to his left or right - he's been terrible. Barnhart - what can you say? He is blocking balls as per reputation, but his throwing has been atrocious, no matter to what base. Baddoo has forgotten how to go back (if he ever knew), Grossman has alligator armed fly balls, Candelario is having more hit off his glove than go in. Haase has played multiple positions..., badly. They've put Willi in the OF and cheered his play coming in on popups - well of course, he's an IF, then swallowed hard as he hacked balls he had to go back on. It's just hard to watch constantly waiting to for the next breakdown.

Considering how many extra outs they are giving away the pitching has to be even better than it looks.

Edited by gehringer_2

45 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

people got really excited when they signed a shortstop who will hit 240/310/450 and traded for a competent corner outfielder.

like you said, expectations were really high based on assumptions that mize/skubal/manning would all be great and greene/tork would be competing for rookie of the year.  rookies struggle, even really talented ones.

it takes a long time to build an organization if youre not going to spend a bunch of money like old man illitch did.

all this said: its still really early in the season.  they have time to get healthy and turn it around.