2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

5 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

though they can carry 14 pitchers, that gives you a 3-man bench, and i cannot believe Hinch would go with Garneau, Haase and Harold. so 3rd catcher experiments ends soon I hope - even with a 4 man bench.

The 1984 Tigers employed the services of only 14 different pitchers for the entire season.  I don’t remember for sure, I wasn’t old enough to pay attention to it, but my hunch is that a 10 man pitching staff was pretty standard then?  Generally 4 man starting rotations with an occasional 5th SP from time to time.  It helped the Tigers to have Morris/Petry/Wilcox at the top and about 280 IP out of the closing duo.  Those 5 arms accounted for 65% of the total innings pitched.  That’s crazy to think about.  Just think about it.

I still gotta couple older than me but not many which makes me sad. I don't remember the first baseball player I was older than but the first basketball player that I knew of atleast was Darko.

He was about 3 years younger than me so I'm sure there were others before him but he's the first one I remember seeing their birthdate of and realizing that a pro athlete was younger than me. 

Edit: after thinking about it,  I only have Miggy by like 6 months so when he debuted at the age of 19 for the Marlins he may have been the first pro athlete I was older than. That's kinda cool. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

5 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Son of a...........

I met his dad and uncle at the final game at TS. I had a Catalanotto jersey and they came up and introduced themselves. I was so mad when they traded him.

His first full season was also my first year as a baseball fan and I also was upset they got rid of him as there wasn't much to get excited about the '99 team.  He was an exciting player. 

After doing some more research on the subject I think Jeremy Bonderman is probably not only the first Tiger younger than me but quite possibly the first professional athlete in general. He's only  3 weeks younger than me and he started in April of 2003 at 20 years old and 6 months.  He most certainly has to be the first Tiger but I'll have to do more research to see if he's the first athlete in general. 

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Who was the first Tiger younger than you?  Mine was Fred Holdsworth.

I had to look this up.  The first MLB player was Felix Hernandez, who actually made his ML debut against the Tigers. 

The first Tiger younger than me was Andrew Miller, by 1 month. 

12 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Who was the first Tiger younger than you?  Mine was Fred Holdsworth.

Trever Miller on September 4, 1996.  He relieved Todd Van Poppel with his own gasoline mixture and took the L against the Jerk Sox.  Looks like he scratched out parts of 13 seasons in the bigs and should have a pretty decent collection of jerseys somewhere in his house.

40 minutes ago, casimir said:

Trever Miller on September 4, 1996.  He relieved Todd Van Poppel with his own gasoline mixture and took the L against the Jerk Sox.  Looks like he scratched out parts of 13 seasons in the bigs and should have a pretty decent collection of jerseys somewhere in his house.

the one and only jose lima for me.  3 days younger.  debuted for the tigers in 1994 before being traded to houston, marrying a hot wife, doing some salsa dancing, winning 20 games, then returning to detroit to suck in 2001.

he also made $24 million over his career.  good for you jose lima!

56 minutes ago, buddha said:

the one and only jose lima for me.  3 days younger.  debuted for the tigers in 1994 before being traded to houston, marrying a hot wife, doing some salsa dancing, winning 20 games, then returning to detroit to suck in 2001.

he also made $24 million over his career.  good for you jose lima!

Lima Time earned some frequent flier miles on the Randy Smith Detroit & Houston shuttle.  Threw a no hitter for the Mud Hens.

17 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

My feel old moment today was when my Program Director announced 10,000 Maniacs are playing at the Ark and reminded us that Natalie Merchant left them 29 years ago...................29 years ago?   Holy Hell.  

How will they fit 10,000 Maniacs into the Ark...it's such a tiny venue

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

How will they fit 10,000 Maniacs into the Ark...it's such a tiny venue

When I was in college radio I saw the album sitting in a stack of albums - a bunch of stuff to listen to.  I thought "hmmm, 10,000 Maniacs, must be a new metal band"    Missed on that quite a bit   A very strange name for a folk band.