2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

My favorite Brian Dubois moment was when Sparky Anderson came out to the mound to take him out of the game in his first start.  Anderson extended his arm to take the ball before saying anything like he always did.  Dubois thought he was offering a handshake, so he shook his hand.  Catcher Mike Heath started laughing.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Are you doing this by the first debut in MLB of a player younger than you?

(I get Dwight Gooden! Who debuted in 1984 at the age of 19 and was 8 months younger than me...)

Or the first MLB Player younger than you regardless of when he debuted in MLB?

(I'm one day younger than Will Clark and 4 days older than Jeff Hamilton (meh) who debuted in 1986...)

3 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

The first time the Tigers had a player younger than you.

Jason Thompson, Fidrych and Frank McCormick are all younger and debuted in '76. Thompson was 2 months closer in age, but Fidrych made his first start on Apr20 and Thompson didn't play his first game until Apr 23, so I guess mine would be Fidrych Apr 20, 1976. McCormick's first game was not until July.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Are you doing this by the first debut in MLB of a player younger than you?

(I get Dwight Gooden! Who debuted in 1984 at the age of 19 and was 8 months younger than me...)

Or the first MLB Player younger than you regardless of when he debuted in MLB?

(I'm one day younger than Will Clark and 4 days older than Jeff Hamilton (meh) who debuted in 1986...)

I have the same birthdate as Brennan Boesch.  

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

this is so similar to last season it almost freaky. A couple of good games the first week then into the tank. Just the cast has changed. Last April it was Cabrera, Jones, Mazara, Goodrum, Reyes that all slumped out of the gate.

They are basically a more talented version of last year's team. The Mazaras and Ramos and Joneses are gone, but the results are still ugly

14 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Several.  Alex Avila, Austin Jackson and Rick Porcello to name a few. 

Andrew Miller is younger and he made his debut 4 years earlier. 

OK so the question is: who was the Tigers player that was younger than you, the first time that the Tigers had a player on the team that was younger than you were?

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Launch angle says who? We’ve had wins in our four lowest average launch angle games and losses in our seven highest launch angle games.

E891398C-548F-4B46-9733-C00AC0D8454C.jpeg

I don't know how launch angle might relate to ISO & SLG.  I was looking over team stats on bbref, and it seems like the glaring thing for the Tigers so far this season is the power just isn't there (which we've realized).  But a lot of other hitting & pitching ratios see the Tigers are hovering around league average (which might be a bit of a surprise), sometimes a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower, but nothing egregious.

54 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't know how launch angle might relate to ISO & SLG.  I was looking over team stats on bbref, and it seems like the glaring thing for the Tigers so far this season is the power just isn't there (which we've realized).  But a lot of other hitting & pitching ratios see the Tigers are hovering around league average (which might be a bit of a surprise), sometimes a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower, but nothing egregious.

I did notice that Miggy has barrel and hard hit rates that are higher than league average, but his average launch angle is something like 5.8%. So I guess that means he’s shooting singles between fielders sometimes and making faster groundouts other times. 

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I did notice that Miggy has barrel and hard hit rates that are higher than league average, but his average launch angle is something like 5.8%. So I guess that means he’s shooting singles between fielders sometimes and making faster groundouts other times. 

I think launch angle will be a more complicated analysis for Cabrera. When you inside out the ball the way Cabrera does, you tend to hit it in the air more. At this point in his career, this is his preference as he has more time (ball can travel deeper and that other analyst drivel). To combat that, they are pitching him inside more now, on the theory (and it's the conventional one for any older hitter) that he can't get around and take the ball to left as well. But when you go to the pull field you don't get the loft you get going to right as naturally. When he goes to right, he drops the bat head under the path of the ball. Going to left, he tends to swing level or down on it more. Observationally, I would agree that it looks like Cabrera has stung a good number of hard grounders to short and 3rd so far this season. Long story short, I would bet that with Cabrera his launch angle will correlate with his R/L field %.

You can see the evidence for this in that teams often shift Cabrera to the pull side on the IF and the opposite side in the OF. Though when Cabrera is 'on' he can beat that on the ground to right anyway. Which, BTW, can get you to the HOF. :classic_smile:

Edited by gehringer_2

Not really sure where to put this and am pretty sure most everyone has already seen this dated article on the The Bird. Really good read for Tiger fans looking for something to smile about these days.

https://vault.si.com/vault/2001/07/02/mark-fidrych-in-1976-the-bird-flew-into-baseball-free-of-guile-a-little-bit-gullible-and-absolutely-lovable-twenty-five-years-later-hes-the-same-rare-bird

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 9:19 PM, Jim Cowan said:

OK so the question is: who was the Tigers player that was younger than you, the first time that the Tigers had a player on the team that was younger than you were?

Funny thing is that at the time I never gave that a thought, what I did notice is when I was older than ALL the players on the field! 👨‍🦳