2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think Price really offers much anymore other than being folksy.  Monroe is not great either, but I don't think he takes anything away from the broadcast, at least not yet.  

To my way of thinking, Price is at least a standard deviation better than Monroe, mainly because I value honesty in analysis, which Price provides and Monroe either doesn’t feel he can, or is constitutionally unable to provide. 

Just now, chasfh said:

To my way of thinking, Price is at least a standard deviation better than Monroe, mainly because I value honesty in analysis, which Price provides and Monroe either doesn’t feel he can, or is constitutionally unable to provide. 

Price is honest when he does analysis, but he is increasingly relying on his cute phrases to get himself through broadcasts. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Price is honest when he does analysis, but he is increasingly relying on his cute phrases to get himself through broadcasts. 

I agree he’s been doing that for a long time, but I’ll take that plus decent analysis over bland PR and fan-like boosterism seven days out of seven.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Exactly, Jimmie is definitely past his prime, but he is willing to call out poor play and provide honesty in his analysis. Plus the rapport with DD is pretty good.... hell, they've been doing it together for 25+ years lol

I do think C-Mo, in the times I've heard him, seems to be better on the radio with DD than on TV, and is a bit more honest as well. Part of that may be DD's influence / gravitas or how the two broadcasts are administered.

Edited by mtutiger

Just now, mtutiger said:

Exactly, Jimmie is definitely past his prime, but he is willing to call out poor play and provide honesty in his analysis. Plus the rapport with DD is pretty good.... hell, they've been doing it together for 25+ years lol

I do think C-Mo, in the times I've heard him, seems to be better on the radio with DD than on TV, and is a bit more honest as well. Part of that may be DD's influence or how the two broadcasts are administered.

Dan has always been great about calling a spade a spade, and at those times when Dan gets critical of what he sees in the field, I can almost hear the wheels spinning in Monroe’s head as he tries to figure out what to say to put a positive spin on it all. I can imagine him thinking about Dan, “Jeez, what team is this guy even on?”

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I agree he’s been doing that for a long time, but I’ll take that plus decent analysis over bland PR and fan-like boosterism seven days out of seven.

I can see myself getting tired of Monroe, but so far he doesn't bother me.  Dickerson is great at working with an analyst.  We will see if he helps Monroe improve.  Also, Monroe has worked on TV where it seems they are expected to be cheerleaders.  He might change if he is on radio permanently.  

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Dan has always been great about calling a spade a spade, and at those times when Dan gets critical of what he sees in the field, I can almost hear the wheels spinning in Monroe’s head as he tries to figure out what to say to put a positive spin on it all. I can imagine him thinking about Dan, “Jeez, what team is this guy even on?”

It may a matter of career protection as well. If his ambition is ultimately TV, he can’t develop too much rep for being critical without risking being dropped from the video side- at least until he earns more stature than he has yet. I think teams will accept a lot more reality in radio broadcast than on their telecasts. 

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It may a matter of career protection as well. If his ambition is ultimately TV, he can’t develop too much rep for being critical without risking being dropped from the video side- at least until he earns more stature than he has yet. I think teams will accept a lot more reality in radio broadcast than on their telecasts. 

I agree with this, and I also get the sense that no one has to force Craig to be like this. This is who he’s always going to be.

He seems like a natural fit for MLB Network.

On 4/18/2022 at 12:35 PM, chasfh said:

It's been almost 48 hours since Matt Manning came out of the game Saturday and we have not heard boo on next steps. Is that good news or bad news? I guess we'll find out soon enough ...

some wise young poster named chas once warned about building your team around young pitching given their propensity for injuries and flameouts...

Trigger warning to Mize fans: don't watch this video or read the rest of this post.

By way of reminder, here's how Pedro Martinez assessed Casey Mize a couple years ago:

Pedro: "For a guy that's so young, throwing the split-finger, if you think about him in a 200-inning season ... see? With that kind of torque on that elbow? You're looking at Tommy John."

That's also what we'd read from Fangraphs prospect writers back in 2018 when we took him 1/1.

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

People were predicting TJ for Sale the day he was drafted and he went over 10 years without it happening, hopefully if it does happen to Mize that will be the case with him too. 

I'm not an MD, but I wonder whether the fact that Casey said something after first experiencing any soreness rather than pitching without saying something may have helped in avoiding (or delaying) a worse outcome?

Either way, I do think that the discussion around Mize really does speak to the expectations that come with being a 1/1... my view is that he's still going to be at least an above average starter, which I would accept and be happy with if it comes to pass. Especially if one of Skubal/Manning or both eventually profile more like aces.

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Now for a little good news—look who's ranking toward the top of the Statcast pitcher list!

image.thumb.png.0171779235da12dd9780eeb212281bc0.png

Maybe that 2016 RoY year wasn't a one-off after all.

Nice, can't remember if it was yesterday or Tuesday but he was throwing some nasty sliders to Judge. They almost looked like cutters with how tight they were and the velo of them. 

45 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Now for a little good news—look who's ranking toward the top of the Statcast pitcher list!

image.thumb.png.0171779235da12dd9780eeb212281bc0.png

Maybe that 2016 RoY year wasn't a one-off after all.

I suppose that is good news, but it's hard to get excited about that list of 20 names.  It looks like a lot of small sample randomness.   

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I suppose that is good news, but it's hard to get excited about that list of 20 names.  It looks like a lot of small sample randomness.   

That’s OK, you don’t have to be excited or impressed. I just think it’s cool to see one of our guys up toward the top of a good pitcher’s list for a change.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That’s OK, you don’t have to be excited or impressed. I just think it’s cool to see one of our guys up toward the top of a good pitcher’s list for a change.

No doubt I'd rather see someone on the top of the list than not on the list.  I am not knocking your effort.  It am just skeptical that it means a lot yet. 

From his prospect profile

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/tigers/beau-brieske-689225

Brieske is the kind of pitching prospect who can make a good organization great if he makes the big leagues. His cerebral approach and work ethic have enabled him to better his game and earned him an opportunity to tap the Tigers’ player development resources. Brieske came to Spring Training intent on adding an extra mph or two of velocity on his pitches through training and technique. If he can do so without sacrificing the rest of his game, that could be the factor that eventually lands Brieske in the big leagues.

On 4/15/2022 at 8:25 AM, gehringer_2 said:

he does look like a different hitter this season. 

Of course some insist that a player can never willingly decide to up their game, that they are born with a finite skillset that they will forever be bound to.  I guess  (to those critics) the hours of players analyzing videos of their own plate appearances is little more than self indulgence?