2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

43 minutes ago, romad1 said:

My observations:

Ed Rodriguez is in the running for Zimmerman level scary bad. 

Yes. Like Zimmerman, AA had Zimmerman in his sights early and was first to jump. Not a lot different with Rodriguez. I think AA had his mind made up early Rodriquez was going to be a Tiger. This guy was signed to anchor a young rotation. Hopefully he’ll be what the Tiger brass hoped they were getting.

56 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't have a problem with laziness, in fact, I applaud it (when applicable),  but that's his name but it looks so strange.  

Shortening people's names who normal don't have them shortened can sound strange.

Jon Schoop

Harry Castro

Ty Alexander

Mike Fulmer

48 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The bad news is that we haven't played particularly well thus far, the good news is that despite not playing particularly well yet we're only 3-4, I think for us and any team for that matter it's important to just "tread water" when things aren't going well.

The first two series were also against very talented teams as well, particularly on offense.

Edited by mtutiger

Not that this matters to me, because it doesn't, although I still find it interesting:

Should the Tigers, with arguably the richest owner in sport and a history stretching back 122 years, really be ranked in the bottom third of franchise valuation?

Maybe returning to winning ways will increase their rank here. Back in 2014 their rank was 15.

2022-04-14-mlb-team-valuations-fallback.png

I don't think the owner has anything to do with valuation; a franchise isn't worth more because of the owner's net worth (management aptitude is distinct from that).  A lot of franchise value is tied up with merchandising and media reach.  A lot of the top-value franchises are either located in large media markets, or have their own RSN, or are the top merchandising teams.  And obviously those contribute to each other.

As one of the original baseball franchises the Tigers should be a top 10 value. I agree winning helps but better player and historical promotion would also help. They have done nothing to promote stars like Whitaker Freehan Lolich Cecil And similar who are at or near HOF level. 

20 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I hope Meadows is better than he has shown so far but his worst game was in the rain. I think he could be average? Badoo worries me also defensively 
anyone else have an early evaluation?

Oblong kinda alluded to this during after that particular game, but it just seems hard to get a fair evaluation in those conditions. Probably would extend that to ERod as well.

11 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Oblong kinda alluded to this during after that particular game, but it just seems hard to get a fair evaluation in those conditions. Probably would extend that to ERod as well.

Agee. I think Erod  will be fine and comparisons to Zimmerman unfair. He is improving and Zimmerman was declining. I think and hope Erod  will be a solid signing. 

59 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I hope Meadows is better than he has shown so far but his worst game was in the rain. I think he could be average? Badoo worries me also defensively 
anyone else have an early evaluation?

Meadows is around average, Baddoo is young and inexperienced.

12 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Baddoo's route running is awful and his arm is blah. Routes can be improved. Speed is great. Nice that they have Victor, Hill and Daz as 3 RH options to complement him - all could be good on D.

I'm generally skeptical that players ever become better outfielders once into their 20s. But Baddoo does have speed and that can cover other sins in a CF. But like everything else in pro ball it depends on the bats. I'll be happy to live with Baddoo's D over Hill's if can OPS 150 higher.  If not - then not so much.

Edited by gehringer_2