2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

15 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

It's be interesting to see how it plays out  once Riley Green is back in the picture. Last season I would have guessed that Victor was going to be the one to take it in the shorts. Now I'm not so sure. With both Meadows and Grossman as fixtures.....Hill, Baddoo, or Reyes  are bound to be a casualty.

I'm thinking now that Hill has the short straw.  

That might be Grossman... at the trade deadline...

17 hours ago, sabretooth said:

WTP, you can do what I do which is buy Direct TV online for $60/month, includes Bally Sports and I can watch it on my phone, PC, and so on.  No blackouts ever.

Good call as I could mirror it to my tv. That might be the only viable option. However if it's $85 as mentioned rather than $50, then the full directv package is not much more and that ain't happening.

16 hours ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, I don't know. I'm just spitballing on this one, based on my long-past experience in the business, but maybe that part has to do with carriage deals RSNs like Bally have with various cable companies. Maybe they just can't sell it direct because that would violate the basic agreement they have not only with major like Comcast, Spectrum, WOW et al, but also with entities like ATI in Kalkaska, or Northside in iron Mountain, or Sunrise Cable in Onaway, or hundreds of other small town cable companies that also depend on the attraction that is Tiger games on Bally Sports to keep their subscriber numbers high enough to stay in business. Allow MLB.tv to sell local games, and their businesses are put in jeopardy as well, and it's probably just too complicated to properly and fairly compensate all the local cable companies for that loss.

Please understand I too would like blackouts to go away. I'm simply trying to explain the business angle of why the local blackout is in place and why they do not want to allow anything to bypass that.

I'm sure you're right....I'm guessing that the cable TV companies run the numbers and determine that there isnt enough a la carte revenue from channel-pickers to make their model work.

Wireless content providers are starting to eat broadband providers' lunch.  Something like 40% of new accounts went from BB to Wireless in 2021.  My guess is that neither side can afford to offer a la carte with the margins they are working with.

The out-City cable providers are getting squeezed, I would be surprised if they can stay in business.  My guess is that folks outside of urban/suburban areas will have to eventually go all wireless.

Blackouts aren't going anywhere.  You just have to find the provider (like Direct TV) that can find the right model to get you the content you need where you need it.

4 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I'm sure you're right....I'm guessing that the cable TV companies run the numbers and determine that there isnt enough a la carte revenue from channel-pickers to make their model work.

Wireless content providers are starting to eat broadband providers' lunch.  Something like 40% of new accounts went from BB to Wireless in 2021.  My guess is that neither side can afford to offer a la carte with the margins they are working with.

The out-City cable providers are getting squeezed, I would be surprised if they can stay in business.  My guess is that folks outside of urban/suburban areas will have to eventually go all wireless.

Blackouts aren't going anywhere.  You just have to find the provider (like Direct TV) that can find the right model to get you the content you need where you need it.

Or put a VPN on your router and set it for New York. 😁

7 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I didn't know where else to post this but 13 years ago Mark Fidrych was stolen from us.

Thank you for noting the date. Every year since his passing I remember this date for the reason you mention. I remember the day we lost The Bird. What a real tragedy. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Gathering Crowds.

There is no way to explain to young fans today how we looked forward to a half hour baseball highlights show each week.  

I remember TWIB coming on channel 4 as soon as Saturday cartoons finished up for the morning. 

Edited by chasfh