2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

For all the talk about improving defensively up the middle by local media talking heads, we sure are bad in centerfield right now.  I would not bank on improvement from Baddoo even with his speed.  Really too bad Hill got injured at the same as Greene.  

It's especially troublesome considering the lack of K's from our staff. If we were a high swing and miss staff that didn't allow a ton of balls to be put in play you may be able to mask some of defensive deficiencies but when you're only getting 7 or so K's per game that is depending on a lot of outs from fielders.  

55 minutes ago, Hart said:

For all the talk about improving defensively up the middle by local media talking heads, we sure are bad in centerfield right now.  I would not bank on improvement from Baddoo even with his speed.  Really too bad Hill got injured at the same as Greene.  

As much as the Hill injury sucks defensively, I'm still trying to figure out how you can put him in the lineup given his offense. At this moment, I can't say he's better offensively than any other OF they have on the 40 except Cameron.

Edited by mtutiger

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

As much as the Hill injury sucks defensively, I'm still trying to figure out how you can put him in the lineup given his offense. At this moment, I can't say he's better offensively than any other OF they have on the 40 except Cameron.

If the rest of the guys start hitting I think you can afford atleast 1 black hole in the lineup if he can save some outs and in turn pitches for our young pitchers. Plus smalll sample aside Hill did put up a 95 OPS+ last year in 150abs so it wasn't like he was completely terrible. If he could hit near that and provide plus defense I would be fine with him until Greene comes back. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

4 hours ago, Hart said:

The local media are basically mouthpieces for the team.

47 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I mean to be fair on paper we did improve a lot up the middle. We went from the Castrai manning 2B and SS to Baez and Schoop. We also expected Greene and Hill to be manning CF instead of Baddoo and Reyes like last year.

I think that the expectations for improvement were completely justified, for the reasons that you stated.

8 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I mean to be fair on paper we did improve a lot up the middle. We went from the Castrai manning 2B and SS to Baez and Schoop. We also expected Greene and Hill to be manning CF instead of Baddoo and Reyes like last year.

Yeah.  I just think it is "convenient" for certain media to talk about our improvement up the middle but then totally ignore who is playing centerfield.  At the moment, it is a problem for us.  

so it sounds like they don't really know anything about Mize yet - when they put him on the DL it was on the basis of him missing a start and not because they had any medical diagnostics yet beyond - "the kid says his elbow hurts."  So we wait for the imaging.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

so it sounds like they don't really know anything about Mize yet - when they put him on the DL it was on the basis of him missing a start and not because they had any medical diagnostics yet beyond - "the kid says his elbow hurts."  So we wait for the imaging.

From mlbtraderumors:

TODAY: Mize has a sprained MCL, Tigers manager A.J. Hinch told reporters (including Chris McCosky of The Detroit News and Evan Petzold of The Detroit Free Press).  Mize will undergo more tests on Monday but did say that his arm was already feeling better today.  Pineda has been scratched from tomorrow’s Triple-A start and is expected to pitch for the Tigers during their upcoming series (Apri 19-21) against the Yankees.

https://www.masslive.com/worcesterredsox/2022/04/woosox-notebook-new-pace-of-play-rules-cutting-down-game-times-but-how-are-they-affecting-the-players-on-the-field-saturdays-game-brought-multiple-violations-for-both-teams.html

The fast pace might have something to do with the new minor-league rules that started to be strictly enforced across the minors on Friday. These include a pitch clock that gives pitchers 14 seconds between pitches with the bases empty and 18 seconds with runners on. Pitchers also risk automatic baserunner advancement if a third pick-off attempt or step-off within the same plate appearance is made without recording an out.

data from across the minor leagues after Friday’s game showed a noticeable drop in game times. According to Baseball America, on their first day of enforcement, the new rules appeared to cut more than 25 minutes from the average game time.

Baseball America notes that on Friday, the average game time for a nine-inning game was 2:38 and the median game time was 2:34. For the previous week of games, the average game time for a nine-inning game was 3:04 and the median game time was 2:59. That 3:04 average game time was right in line with last year’s pace, and was also the average game time for a Triple-A contest.

On 4/15/2022 at 8:30 PM, Tenacious D said:

If Baddoo continues to struggle with both in the field and at the plate, will the Tigers be willing to send him down when Hill shows he is ready to play?

I would guess they are hesitant to replace Badoo with Hill given each players "potential" ceiling. We are probably stuck with Badoo "improving" in center until Riley Greene arrives and even he might be better served in a corner. So centerfielder's should still be on Al's shopping list.

Just now, buddha said:

i was told it was the gambling companies that called the shots now, and that's why the game is slower, so people will have more time to gamble.  

The game is not slower because of gambling.  The suggestion was that owners might not push as hard for faster paced games if they found it wasn't beneficial for gambling.  There is no doubt that gamblers have become the big new target audience.  It is possible that gamblers don't care about the pace of the game though.