2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

9 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Are we not going to talk about Jack Morris' ignorant comment? 

Remember last year when he was suspended for using an insensitive accent while Shohei Ohtani was batting?  Why is Jack Morris still here?  

He also said in a recent broadcast that Cabrera "was approaching Hall of Fame numbers" as if Cabrera wasn't at his level yet.  

47 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

To a certain degree that 'stretching out'/condition process is all about getting just enough controlled stress to get the strengthening response without crossing over into an inflammation injury situation that ends up taking you backward. Manning missed the goldilocks point I guess. That risk is always bad enough for young guys who haven't been through it as many times - then no doubt doubled by the short ST.

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Definitely good news on both counts.... and in terms of managing expectations, I don't know that the club would be issuing statements like this if they didn't feel like things are trending in the right direction with either one of them.

8 hours ago, oblong said:

I also saw a reference where Jack said Miggy was "building" case for the HOF... implying he wouldn't be one yet if he retired right now.

Jack has high standards for the HOF.

Fortunately for Jack, the Veterans Committee didn’t share those high standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Are we not going to talk about Jack Morris' ignorant comment? 

Remember last year when he was suspended for using an insensitive accent while Shohei Ohtani was batting?  Why is Jack Morris still here?  

Of the four guys they have on rotation in that color analyst role, C-Mo is probably the best of the bunch (he's improved a lot over the past year IMO), but it sounds like he'll be doing a lot of road work with DD this season. 

If Bally were interested in the quality of the product, maybe they'd go out and kick the tires on a few former Tigers with some color experience like Sean Casey or Austin Jackson and see if they'd be interested in doing color, but aside from that, we're probably stuck with with Jack.... 

Edited by mtutiger

15 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Of the four guys they have on rotation in that color analyst role, C-Mo is probably the best of the bunch (he's improved a lot over the past year IMO), but it sounds like he'll be doing a lot of road work with DD this season. 

If Bally were interested in the quality of the product, maybe they'd go out and kick the tires on a few former Tigers with some color experience like Sean Casey or Austin Jackson and see if they'd be interested in doing color, but aside from that, we're probably stuck with with Jack.... 

If Craig Monroe becomes the permanent analyst on radio with Dan, I think it’ll take the quality of the broadcast down at least a full notch. C-Mo is still in clubhouse mode, maybe for good.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If Craig Monroe becomes the permanent analyst on radio with Dan, I think it’ll take the quality of the broadcast down at least a full notch. C-Mo is still in clubhouse mode, maybe for good.

The whole operation is descending into bad. Shep's boosterism is unbearably smarmy, and Jack is a lazy analyst. They don't seem to be doing any serious broadcast prep  - they just show up and talk about themselves. The only time Jack seems to know anything about the other team is when we play the Twins..... 

Here they were faced with a really boring game and the best story of week was probably around Aroldis Chapman's crazy couple of days, which could have been some good filler. MIA. Had they even watched BBTN?

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The whole operation is descending into bad. Shep's boosterism is unbearably smarmy, and Jack is a lazy analyst. They don't seem to be doing any serious broadcast prep  - they just show up and talk about themselves. The only time Jack seems to know anything about the other team is when we play the Twins..... 

Here they were faced with a really boring game and the best story of week was probably around Aroldis Chapman's crazy couple of days, which could have been some good filler. MIA. Had they even watched BBTN?

Well, sure he just shows up and talks about himself. You don’t tell a Hall of Famer what to do.

I will grant that C-Mo is the best of the bunch, although that’s a bit like saying Akil Baddoo is your team’s best hitter—it doesn’t mean so much on a team that generally can’t hit. My specific issue with C-Mo is he talks like he’s still in the clubhouse, using clubhouse nicknames for the players, which makes me roll my eyes; he’s a “let’s go, boys!” rooter behind the mic, which makes me roll my eyes; and he’s basically a PR manager for the players, spinning anything that’s suboptimal into bland positives because hey, he’s gotta see those guys the next day.

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't think Price really offers much anymore other than being folksy.  Monroe is not great either, but I don't think he takes anything away from the broadcast, at least not yet.