4/11 5:10 Red Sox @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

3 hours ago, casimir said:

He pitched well yesterday, no doubt.  I'm still on the side of doubtful of Manning, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

One of his better qualities was on display yesterday - he goes right after hitters and just seems fearless. 

In that regard, he's the anti-Mize. Not that Casey is a bad pitcher or anything (he's arguably the one I trust the most at this point), but he just seems to overthink sometimes.

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - that stiffness in the way he holds his glove as he runs in on a ball has to remind one of every bad fielding kid you  ever played with on a sand lot. Still, he mostly does mange to catch the ball in end....

Exactly, but he does catch them. Its just not a good look.

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

One of his better qualities was on display yesterday - he goes right after hitters and just seems fearless. 

In that regard, he's the anti-Mize. Not that Casey is a bad pitcher or anything (he's arguably the one I trust the most at this point), but he just seems to overthink sometimes.

I'll be honest, I thought he was going to lose when he got to a 3 ball count against Verdugo right after the MartinezJD HR.  Didn't he go 3-0 before getting to a full count?

7 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Oh man. Grapes is a name I haven’t thought of in a while. One of my favorite jokes on the old board was when someone would post a text wall, only to get a response saying “grapes?”

Who was that other one...the Offensive Expert or some name? That guy seriously scared me, insisting DD was reading his mind and stealing his thoughts. He was kinda screwy.

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Pretty soon the Tigers will be making some moves by activating a couple guys and trimming our roster. Goodbye to Foley and Vest? And a couple more guys. Did you ever notice we break camp with a roster and send a couple guys down within a couple of weeks? Seems like every season. 

My guess is Peralta replaces Hutchison, Pineda replaces Elvin Rodriguez, and Foley/Barnes/Vest are competing to not be cut whenever Chafin comes back.

At the end of the month, they lose two roster spots, even those who stick around could be gone by then as well.

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Who was that other one...the Offensive Expert or some name? That guy seriously scared me, insisting DD was reading his mind and stealing his thoughts. He was kinda screwy.

The Strategy Expert had a black box that determined OE%, a proprietary measurement whose formula he would not disclose.  I don't recall that anyone was reading his mind though.

Just now, mtutiger said:

My guess is Peralta replaces Hutchison, Pineda replaces Elvin Rodriguez, and Foley/Barnes/Vest are competing to not be cut whenever Chafin comes back.

At the end of the month, they lose two roster spots, even those who stick around could be gone by then as well.

We'll need to clear 2 spots when we activate Pineda and Peralta. 2 more to trim down to the 26 man roster. Another one for Chafin. And then another when Greene comes back. That's 6 guys off the current roster? Depending on available options, I think Vest, Foley, Barnes will all be gone. Position players? Reyes? Maybe not carry 3 catchers? Hopefully Grossman isn't hurt too bad. Groins can be hard to heal in chilly weather. Better off being safe and wait until it's totally healed before playing him.

9 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

The Strategy Expert had a black box that determined OE%, a proprietary measurement whose formula he would not disclose.  I don't recall that anyone was reading his mind though.

Oh yeah. Strategy Expert. Lmao...there was a guy who used to say he saw DD watching him at the games and was stealing his ideas. I thought it was him.

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Oh yeah. Strategy Expert. Lmao...there was a guy who used to say he saw DD watching him at the games and was stealing his ideas. I thought it was him.

Triple7even was recognized at a game by DD, who obviously had seen his avatar here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

We'll need to clear 2 spots when we activate Pineda and Peralta. 2 more to trim down to the 26 man roster. Another one for Chafin. And then another when Greene comes back. That's 6 guys off the current roster? Depending on available options, I think Vest, Foley, Barnes will all be gone. Position players? Reyes? Maybe not carry 3 catchers? Hopefully Grossman isn't hurt too bad. Groins can be hard to heal in chilly weather. Better off being safe and wait until it's totally healed before playing him.

Hutchison and ERod are my two picks for Peralta/Pineda because of their profiles as long relievers (ie. Peralta is gonna fill that role, Pineda is a starter). 

As you suggest, Chafin plus the roster trimming means each of the three relievers you mention (Foley, Barnes, Vest) are likely on thin ice, depending on what they do with the  bench. Of those three, I'd keep Vest, but would expect that the Tigers prefer Foley given that he made the club relatively early

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Hutchison and ERod are my two picks for Peralta/Pineda because of their profiles as long relievers (ie. Peralta is gonna fill that role, Pineda is a starter). 

As you suggest, Chafin plus the roster trimming means each of the three relievers you mention (Foley, Barnes, Vest) are likely on thin ice, depending on what they do with the  bench. Of those three, I'd keep Vest, but would expect that the Tigers prefer Foley given that he made the club relatively early

I don't think they keep any of the 3, depending on options. We still have a couple of weeks.

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

That was TripleSe7en.  The Strategy Expert insisted that he knew more than DD and wanted to use his proprietary statistic to get a position in the Tigers front office.  

4 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

He gave enough info one time that we figured it out. 

It was a modified OPS that he was trying. I knew it and called him out on it because... well, I was doing the same thing... modifying OPS when I was playing around with some numbers/ formulas.

I don't think he lasted much longer after that... although it was something else non-related that did him in but I don't remember those details... Others in here have seen him pop up in various forums other than Motown.. with basically the same schtick... that he's a genius and no one appreciates him but that he's a millionaire in the making because... he's such a genius.

His OE% wasn't all that. 

Pineda got rocked tonight per Jason Beck: Michael Pineda’s second start for @MudHens ends with 3 singles and a grand slam in fourth inning tonight at Iowa. He allowed 4 runs on 6 hits over 3 1/3 innings with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts. 55 pitches, 37 strikes. Fastball sat 90-92 mph according to Iowa broadcast.