Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

16 hours ago, oblong said:

I wish I could work that dashboard.  I’m an idiot with that stuff. 

wife’s hospital is 15 patients from its winter peak.  Keep in mind the count went up 12 from Sunday to today. 

what gets me is the logic of “well the vaccines don’t work 100% so why bother?”

My wifes ICU is full of checks notes, ALL non-Vaxxed Patients. She as a charge nurse is so wore down, now they just take care of idiots. 

42 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

My wifes ICU is full of checks notes, ALL non-Vaxxed Patients. She as a charge nurse is so wore down, now they just take care of idiots. 

yep.  All unvaxxed.  A 27 year old father of 2.  A husband and wife in their mid 60's. 

I'm sure the kids and family still appreciate hte "freedom"

Since I’m vaxxed and boosted, I’ve had worry that I could asymptotically spread it to someone else, but slowly my view is starting to change. The unvaccinated are putting themselves in hospitals, and I  shouldn’t continue to cater my life to them to keep them safe. At the same time I also want to do my part to save the burden on healthcare workers, like Tigeraholic1 and Oblong’s wives. 

Edited by Tigerbomb13

Just now, Hongbit said:

How has everyone’s booster experience been?   I’m planing on getting mine in the next few days.   Was good after shot 1 and had some minor side effects after shot 2.  

Oh I felt like garbage for two days. Pretty much everyone I know around my age felt it. Most of the people my parents age I know felt fine. 

16 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

How has everyone’s booster experience been?   I’m planing on getting mine in the next few days.   Was good after shot 1 and had some minor side effects after shot 2.  

didn't react at all, though I didn't react to the original two either. Hope I'm not the placebo in some big secret test......🎱

20 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I had absolutely no reaction with the booster shot, but my second shot I had maybe 24 hours of aches a mind a little bit of a fever.

But no reaction at all to the booster. Go figure

2 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Since I’m vaxxed and boosted, I’ve had worry that I could asymptotically spread it to someone else, but slowly my view is starting to change. The unvaccinated are putting themselves in hospitals, and I  shouldn’t continue to cater my life to them to keep them safe. At the same time I also want to do my part to save the burden on healthcare workers, like Tigeraholic1 and Oblong’s wives. 

This was likely to become an endemic all along, just sucks a good part of our population is helping ensure that.  I'm not sure of the position of the person I saw quoted the other day, but he was a German official.  In regards to their very high numbers right now, he basically said this is the last run for them.  By early next year he expects everyone to be either vaccinated, cured, or dead.  

Found out today that my (unvaccinated) uncle (in his 70s) will be spending Thanksgiving in the hospital with COVID. The only surprising part to me is that it took this long to happen. I certainly don't wish COVID on anyone, and I hope he fully recovers, but I also don't feel bad for him. Maybe this will get his family to reconsider vaccinations for themselves, but I doubt it. They are Springfield Missouri bible-thumpers, so they'd probably get excommunicated or something if they got the shots...

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

MI case rate hit 8500 today. Up in low vax counties and high vax counties.  Hospital census has matched the worst levels from last Dec or this April, deaths climbing. Everyone keeps saying "we won't go back to that again." Looks like this time we are set on letting the health care system break? 

so what's the solution?

mandatory vaccination every nine months?

54 minutes ago, buddha said:

so what's the solution?

How do you change attitudes?  Michigan is averaging 77 deaths per day when, based on its population, that number should be 4.  I have seen many anecdotal reports about how lax the attitudes are toward masking, and I have seen many opinions expressed that masking is not necessary any more.  And how do you convince people to get vaccinated, after all the persuaion that has already been attempted?  Michigan's vax rate is 54%.

I live in a city of 770,000 people and the local health authority released a list of all the elementary schools and their vaccination rates.  In affluent neighbourhoods the rates were averaging almost 80%, and in poorer neighbourhoods the average was around 50%.  And, in schools specifically operated by Christian extremists, the average was around 30%.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

so what's the solution?

Well, it would be nice to have more of a handle on the vaccine behavior. Say it turns out to be like tetanus, maybe you get a booster in the 1st year and then one every ten. At this point that is still unknown. We will know eventually but it's just going to take time.

But worst case? If people need to go get a shot once a year to prevent taking a year or two off the nation's general life expectancy is that so bad? Practically speaking it may end up being difficult to do given our current cultural insanity, but taken on it's own it's not any kind of terrible outcome. Half the population gets itself an annual flu shot now, and for most people flu is just an inconvenience rather than a killer, so again, taken out of this peculiar US context, there would be a lot more motivation for folks to get their annual COVID booster and so *maybe* correspondingly higher compliance. And maybe they will even be able to piggyback a Covid and Flu vaccine together. 

To JC's question - who the hell knows how we get the culture out of this epistemological dead end its in. Generally something that kills a lot of its people tends to open a culture to a little rethinking, but were getting close to a million and no sign of it happening here yet. If anything we are descending into even more nostalgia think. Much like the jihadi's believe if they can only be devout enough they will recapture the glory of 10th century Islam, we have the American Christian fundamentalist who thinks 'going back' in some form, or at least refusing to go forward, is where their answers lie.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Well, it would be nice to have more of a handle on the vaccine behavior. Say it turns out to be like tetanus, maybe you get a booster in the 1st year and then one every ten. At this point that is still unknown. We will know eventually but it's just going to take time.

But worst case? If people need to go get a shot once a year to prevent taking a year or two off the nation's general life expectancy is that so bad? Practically speaking it may end up being difficult to do given our current cultural insanity, but taken on it's own it's not any kind of terrible outcome. Half the population gets itself an annual flu shot now, and for most people flu is just an inconvenience rather than a killer, so again, taken out of this peculiar US context, there would be a lot more motivation for folks to get their annual COVID booster and so *maybe* correspondingly higher compliance. And maybe they will even be able to piggyback a Covid and Flu vaccine together. 

We don't seem to be big on life expectancy in the US.  We have among the lowest of developed countries.  

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

A view born of necessity, if you get sick, you can't afford to live too long in America.

lower life expectancy has more to do with america's cheap welfare system than anything else, imo.  and our terrible diets.  and drug abuse.

Edited by buddha