Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

They were treated like animals for the majority of the nation's history.  It is still hard to imagine that they couldn't play major league baseball until 1947.  In my lifetime, there have been segregated restaurants, segregated coutry clubs, etc. Despite laws existing to protect and give opportunities to Blacks they know there are still many people out there who view them as inferior and would favor segregation.  

I believe this helps explain why so many black people don’t feel they have any stake in the American system and thus, among other things, don’t vote.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

The hausfrau, noted law school classmate of at least one of the Michigan political leadership and smart cookie in her own right...is a fan of Liz Cheney's brain though perhaps not her political views.  She's become a fan of Liz' guts as well in the past few weeks.   This level of competition, mein gott in himmell.

Wyomingites can see themselves having a beer with this guy.

17 hours ago, romad1 said:

The hausfrau, noted law school classmate of at least one of the Michigan political leadership and smart cookie in her own right...is a fan of Liz Cheney's brain though perhaps not her political views.  She's become a fan of Liz' guts as well in the past few weeks.   This level of competition, mein gott in himmell.

A group of educators in Texas put in a very large proposal,  in the middle of this proposal that they wanted to refer to Slavery as "Involuntary Relocation".    Someone caught it and it was rejected to the State Board Of Education.    I had to check and double check and triple check to make sure it wasn't The Onion.   It was not. 

And they snuck it in the middle like Van Halen with the "No Brown M&Ms" trick they put in the Technical rider to see if specifications were being met.   

What's next,  referring to Auschwitz and an "Involuntary Spa" ?   

We are dangerously close to these people running things, because this stuff just 10 years ago was totally laughed at by almost everyone, now more than half of one political side is okay with this kind of stuff.  

• Thanks 1

Part of me thinks that overturning Roe v. Wade was needed at this particular moment.   It should rile up Democrats to vote more than anything.  If this doesn't do it, we're probably in for a very rough decade ahead - where people like Marjorie Taylor Greene are the norm.   It's scary as fuck.      I don't want women's rights taken away, but something needs to wake us the hell up. Women can still go to certain states. ,   We need to stop nitpicking if the candidates we get aren't perfect.     To me, the first move would be to add two diverse and populated states to the early primaries,  like Pennsylvania & Colorado.    Starting everything in Iowa and New Hampshire (Two of the lowest 6 minority states without a single large city).  is a really dumb move for Democrats to not have more minority and city voters in the early states.    

Katie Porter in '24 !

37 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Part of me thinks that overturning Roe v. Wade was needed at this particular moment.   It should rile up Democrats to vote more than anything.  If this doesn't do it, we're probably in for a very rough decade ahead - where people like Marjorie Taylor Greene are the norm.   It's scary as fuck.      I don't want women's rights taken away, but something needs to wake us the hell up. Women can still go to certain states. ,   We need to stop nitpicking if the candidates we get aren't perfect.     To me, the first move would be to add two diverse and populated states to the early primaries,  like Pennsylvania & Colorado.    Starting everything in Iowa and New Hampshire (Two of the lowest 6 minority states without a single large city).  is a really dumb move for Democrats to not have more minority and city voters in the early states.    

Katie Porter in '24 !

Well, Katie has my vote any time. But, primaries are a messy way to choose a candidate.

H. Clinton won the South. She would never win it in the generals. But, you don't want to disenfranchise Southern Democrats in the primaries.

You could have said the same thing about New York a couple years (decades?) ago when the Republicans were a majority sane party.

Re slavery, I learned something today during a presentation at Colonial Williamsburg. I only caught part of the story as we were just resting under the giant oak for a bit. Anyway, during the pre Revolutionary times slaves could buy their freedom if they could afford to. They still needed permission from the Colonial Governor and pay a "Freedom Tax". The tax was good for 6 years and the rate increased incrementally every time. If they couldn't afford the tax, back into bondage.

Interesting that part of history never came up when we were taught in high school 50 years ago. I doubt that it comes up today.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Re slavery, I learned something today during a presentation at Colonial Williamsburg. I only caught part of the story as we were just resting under the giant oak for a bit. Anyway, during the pre Revolutionary times slaves could buy their freedom if they could afford to. They still needed permission from the Colonial Governor and pay a "Freedom Tax". The tax was good for 6 years and the rate increased incrementally every time. If they couldn't afford the tax, back into bondage.

Interesting that part of history never came up when we were taught in high school 50 years ago. I doubt that it comes up today.

Interesting that all I learned about George "Washington" Carver is that he invented Peanut Butter (which is only partially true).   He was and is one of the most most important and influential botanical scientists in our history, but nah, that part got skipped over.