Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

Regardless of what happens, this is a fascinating contest... I'm not sure I've been as unsure of an outcome.

My gut says Youngkin, but i almost think the shift in conventional wisdom may be underrated TMac some as well. I'm guessing it'll be close.

Edited by mtutiger

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Regardless of what happens, this is a fascinating contest... I'm not sure I've been as unsure of an outcome.

My gut says Youngkin, but i almost think the shift in conventional wisdom may be underrated TMac some as well. I'm guessing it'll be close.

Nova is a big vote block.  I would almost guarantee that the votes for Nova come in very late too. 

T Mac has a couple of things going against him besides the obvious.

1) Only one former Governor has returned to win an election the second time. Mills Godwin won in 1974 after serving from 1966-1970. He was the last of the Old Byrd Machine. Won the second time as Republican.

2) The state has a propensity of voting for the party out of power in DC.

Just now, romad1 said:

Nova is a big vote block.  I would almost guarantee that the votes for Nova come in very late too. 

NoVa is getting a ton of oxygen on Twitter this am (turnout appears to be good for TMac all things considered), but that's only one part of the equation... he still needs to get turnout from key constituencies in Richmond, Petersburg, the college towns, Hampton Roads, etc. Haven't seen much there.

Setting aside the possibility of some erosion in NoVa (we'll see - wouldnt be surprised if its somewhat overstated), hard to feel too good about TMac's chances without knowing much about turnout in other areas he needs. 

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

NoVa is getting a ton of oxygen on Twitter this am (turnout appears to be good for TMac all things considered), but that's only one part of the equation... he still needs to get turnout from key constituencies in Richmond, Petersburg, the college towns, Hampton Roads, etc. Haven't seen much there.

Setting aside the possibility of some erosion in NoVa (we'll see - wouldnt be surprised if its somewhat overstated), hard to feel too good about TMac's chances without knowing much about turnout in other areas he needs. 

Its raining here.  Cold and nasty rain.  I don't think that is as bad as it might be since they actually have modern voting precincts here and don't require colored folks to stand in long lines.  

Again, the one factor that might weigh a lot is the Roe vs Wade thing.  Ireland had millions of women fly back from overseas to vote in that election.   

10 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

T Mac has a couple of things going against him besides the obvious.

1) Only one former Governor has returned to win an election the second time. Mills Godwin won in 1974 after serving from 1966-1970. He was the last of the Old Byrd Machine. Won the second time as Republican.

2) The state has a propensity of voting for the party out of power in DC.

This race is a real test of the "old fundamentals" versus the "new fundamentals", for sure.

The history is what it is, and it works against McAuliffe, versus the fact that Virginia has evolved a lot since the last time a Republican won the Governorship in 2009....

The result tonight is going to bad for Ds regardless in terms of holding the House in 2022, but in terms of VA, If TMac pulls it out, in this environment, with a campaign that by all accounts wasn't the greatest, one has to think its another sign that Virginia is probably Blue Ohio at this point.

Edited by mtutiger

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This race is a real test of the "old fundamentals" versus the "new fundamentals", for sure.

The history is what it is, and it works against McAuliffe, versus the fact that Virginia has evolved a lot since the last time a Republican won the Governorship in 2009....

If TMac pulls it out, in this environment, with a campaign that by all accounts wasn't the greatest, one has to think its another sign that Virginia is probably going the way Ohio is for the GOP.

I would say it would surprise me if this was a blowout for T-Mac or Trumpkin  I expect this to be a nail biter. 

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The result tonight is going to bad for Ds regardless in terms of holding the House in 2022, but in terms of VA, If TMac pulls it out, in this environment, with a campaign that by all accounts wasn't the greatest, one has to think its another sign that Virginia is probably Blue Ohio at this point.

The Va House of Delegates could quite possibly change hands

all we had on our ballot today were city charter amendments. The joke is that they increase the authority of the city Managers, who are regularly fired by the City Council when they get caught between competing priorities of the mayor vs the council. It's really silly. We really just need to upgrade the Mayor's job and do away with the city admin, but we nurse this myth we are somehow above having normal mayoral politics.

8 hours ago, romad1 said:

Just voted in Virginia.  Romad has voted a straight D ticket on successive elections now.  Bizonkers.  I'm not the crazy one though. 

I wouldn't call it crazy either.  I can think of a few other words that would fit better 😁😁😁

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

all we had on our ballot today were city charter amendments. The joke is that they increase the authority of the city Managers, who are regularly fired by the City Council when they get caught between competing priorities of the mayor vs the council. It's really silly. We really just need to upgrade the Mayor's job and do away with the city admin, but we nurse this myth we are somehow above having normal mayoral politics.

We had a couple of bonds and a bunch of Amendments to the Texas Constitution. 

I arrived at my precinct about 30 minutes after polls opened and was only the 9th person to vote.... these off-year elections are small affairs lol

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

I didn't pay much attention to the VA gov race until I saw you guys talking about it. TMac doesn't seem to be a very likeable guy and doesn't have much to offer. No wonder Biden campaigned for him.  Two peas in a pod.

Trump endorsed Youngkin something like 8 times, but Youngkin was afraid of appearing with Trump (by video) and his surrogate’s (Bannon et all) at their rallies.

A sheep in fleece vests…