Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

Cider House Rules is one of my favorite novels along with a Prayer for Owen Meany. My philosophy is once you’ve reached 11th or 12th grade you should be preparing yourself for the real world and not hiding behind mommy’s trousers. That doesn’t seem to be the way anymore. A bit like folks on Nextdoor or whatever complaining about age guidelines for door to door trick or treating.

Snowflakes 

I came upon this list for Advanced American Studies. How many books on this list do the current crop of Dingleberries want banned…

https://www.uni-due.de/amerikanistik/basic_reading_list.php

• John Winthrop, “A Model of Christian Charity” (1630).
  • Anne Bradstreet, “The Author to Her Book” (1650).
  • Phillis Wheatley, “On Being Brought from Africa to America” (1773).
  • * Benjamin Franklin, The Autobiography (1771-90, 1868).
  • Thomas Jefferson, “The Declaration of Independence” (1776).
  • Washington Irving, “Rip van Winkle” (1819). 
  • Frederick Douglass, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave, Written by Himself (1845).
  • Henry David Thoreau, “Resistance to Civil Government” (1849)
  • Edgar Allan Poe, “The Raven” (1845), “The Fall of the House of Usher” (1839).
  • Nathaniel Hawthorne, “Young Goodman Brown” (1835), * The Scarlet Letter (1850).
  • Herman Melville, Moby-Dick (1851), “Bartleby, the Scrivener” (1853).
  • Emily Dickinson, “Much Madness is divinest Sense—,” “I heard a Fly buzz—when I died,” “Tell all the Truth but tell it slant—” (publ. posthumously, 1955).
  • Walt Whitman, “Crossing Brooklyn Ferry” (1860), “When I Heard the Learn’d Astronomer” (1865), “Song of Myself” (1881).
  • Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady (1881).
  • * Mark Twain, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1884).
  • Charlotte Perkins Gilman, “The Yellow Wallpaper” (1892).
  • Stephen Crane, “The Open Boat” (1897).
  • Kate Chopin, The Awakening (1899).
  • Robert Frost, “Mending Wall” (1914), “Birches” (1915).
  • T.S. Eliot, “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” (1915), The Waste Land (1922).
  • Ezra Pound, “Portrait d’une Femme” (1912), “In a Station of the Metro” (1913), “Hugh Selwyn Mauberley” (1920).
  • Eugene O’Neill, Long Day's Journey into Night (1940).  
  • * F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby (1925).
  • Ernest Hemingway, The Sun also Rises (1926).
  • William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury (1929).
  • Zora Neale Hurston, Their Eyes Were Watching God (1937).
  • * Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Desire (1947).
  • * Arthur Miller, Death of a Salesman (1949).
  • Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man (1952).
  • * Martin Luther King, “I Have a Dream” (1963).
  • Allen Ginsberg, “Howl” (1956).
  • Jack Kerouac, On the Road (1957)
  • Edward Albee, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1962).
  • John Barth, “Life Story” (1968).
  • * Toni Morrison, Song of Solomon (1977), Beloved (1987).
  • August Wilson, Fences (1986).
  • Louise Erdrich, “Fleur” (1986).
  • Thomas Pynchon, Vineland (1990).
  • Wendy Wasserstein, The Heidi Chronicles (1990).
  • * Tony Kushner, Angels in America (1992).
  • T.C. Boyle, The Tortilla Curtain (1995).
  • Philip Roth, The Human Stain (2000).
  • Sandra Cisneros, Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories (1991), Caramelo (2002).
  • Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (2006).

11 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Can I claim disability if I say I was triggered by Crime and Punishment 50 years ago. What about The Heart of Darkness or The Pearl?

I'm about to start on "the Coddling of the American Mind" 

I put it on my Kindle so no-one on Campus will catch me carrying it around......🙄

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

We've come a long way from Dr. Seuss lol

I've been re-reading Colin Woodard's American Nations book, and this tweet reminds me what he wrote about those people whom he termed as Borderlanders: basically the Scottish, Northern Irish, and northern English settlers of Appalachia and their descendants:

"While hostile to external restraints on their behavior, the Borderlanders could be uncompromising in enforcing their own internal cultural norms. Dissent or disagreement—whether by neighbors, wives, children, or political opponents—was unacceptable and often crushed savagely."

So, see? "Cancellation for thee but not for me" didn't come out of nowhere. It has a long and rich cultural history with these people, who have been very successful exporting this way of thinking throughout a good chunk of the United States, in large part through their colonization of interior First Nations territory. I think it has also caught on with Americans who are not of that national stock because of the rugged individualism associated with them that has been romanticized as the one true American cultural ideal. IOW, people who think it makes them look cool to be rough and tough on others.

1 hour ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Jesus Christ. It’s only a matter of time before one of these nutcases starts a terrorist attack. 

that's an incredible clip.   I love how Kirk denounces it...... not because murder is bad, but because that murder would be falling into the Democrats' trap.   That's why he denounces it.   

1 hour ago, pfife said:

that's an incredible clip.   I love how Kirk denounces it...... not because murder is bad, but because that murder would be falling into the Democrats' trap.   That's why he denounces it.   

Yep. The optics of terrorism are worse than the actual murdery part