Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

10 hours ago, Archie said:

I think she does bring value when she speaks up to Cortez and her group.  She says things that need to be said that everyone else is afraid to say.  She's kind of like the hockey enforcer of the Republican house.  She probably won't be reelected since she most likely won't run unopposed again.  Democrats will spend a fortune to get rid of her so the Cortez can have the floor again without interruption.

MTG brings no value at all to politics.  She is an ignorant jerk, an absolute disgrace.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Didn't get a majority though did he? Another argument for ranked preference voting...

Following along with Germany's most recent election(which requires coalition forming in order to set up a government), it is hard not to come to the conclusion our system for electing a President is pretty bad.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Following along with Germany's most recent election(which requires coalition forming in order to set up a government), it is hard not to come to the conclusion our system for electing a President is pretty bad.

And it will never change because many people equate our founders with Moses getting the tablets from Mt Sinai. They truly believe it was divinely inspired and to go against that is to go against God. 

5 hours ago, oblong said:

And it will never change because many people equate our founders with Moses getting the tablets from Mt Sinai. They truly believe it was divinely inspired and to go against that is to go against God. 

Yup. When the past reaches a certain distance, it seems there is always a tendency to idealize it into a realm of legend. In the Renaissance Europeans did it to the Greeks, who did leave some nice stuff behind but really didn't have all that great a society, in the Far East there were the legends of the "Yellow Emperor" that held everything in current civilization was but a failed effort to recapture the glories of the past. Now we are doing it with our own history. Mohammed's Muslim conquerors had this figured out - they might have been the 1st empire to practice historical 'cleansing' of the past in areas they won. And then today we have the irony of today's Muslim radicals idealizing and trying to recapture their own now ancient history. It's a good thing the human species has high sex drive because as a group we sure would never have survived based on our average intelligence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yup. When the past reaches a certain distance, it seems there is always a tendency to idealize it into a realm of legend. In the Renaissance Europeans did it to the Greeks, who did leave some nice stuff behind but really didn't have all that great a society, in the Far East there were the legends of the "Yellow Emperor" that held everything in current civilization was but a failed effort to recapture the glories of the past. Now we are doing it with our own history. Mohammed's Muslim conquerors had this figured out - they might have been the 1st empire to practice historical 'cleansing' of the past in areas they won. And then today we have the irony of today's Muslim radicals idealizing and trying to recapture their own now ancient history. It's a good thing the human species has high sex drive because as a group we sure would never have survived based on our average intelligence.

every argument about the past is actually an argument about the present.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I always wondered when the historical grievance clock runs out.  Clearly plenty of people are angry about bad things that happened in their area in the past because of the Turks or the Russians or the British.  When does that ebb?   The Uzbek (basically) Mogul empire deindustrialized India leaving it ripe for takeover by the East India company.   Do modern Indians have grievances against Uzbeks? 

6 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I always wondered when the historical grievance clock runs out.  Clearly plenty of people are angry about bad things that happened in their area in the past because of the Turks or the Russians or the British.  When does that ebb?   The Uzbek (basically) Mogul empire deindustrialized India leaving it ripe for takeover by the East India company.   Do modern Indians have grievances against Uzbeks? 

A friend who was quite a far flung traveler was in Athens a number of years ago - was in a cab and the cabby was running down the 'north siders'. My friend thought he'd needle a little and asked him what he'd think if his daughter announced she was going to marry a Theban, and the guy almost threw my friend out of the cab, so call it ~2 millennia+.... maybe. 🙄

The Sunni-Shia split is how many years old? Around a 1,000? And they can't get past it.

I'm sure there are numerous examples... and several that break past 1,000 years.

I don't remember the Thebes-southern Greece argument... the Greek city-states had so many... Athens-Sparta, Macedonia-Greece, etc., etc... I sort of remember anti-Thebes from Athens but my memory chips are losing data quickly so I am forgetting more than I can hold onto / or take on new knowledge...