Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

57 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

BTW, one of the plans under discussion by the current administration is to require asylum seeks to register with the US Embassy in their country of origin. It keeps being blocked by the same folks who shot down GWB's pathway to citizenship proposals (and it's not the Democrats)

As I mentioned before, the GOP hasn't done anything to show they are the leaders on ideas in regards to this issue either.  That said, I'd be very interested in learning about a bill that would allow asylum seekers to register in their country of origin that was blocked by the GOP senate, (as the Dem's controlled the House and the White House).

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

And yes, we are starved for workers.  But seriously, that's an excuse?  We need more unskilled labor so big corporate American can get back to being opened 24x7 and make ridiculous profits they aren't taxed much on anyway... that's what the party of 'workers' is advocating?

The healthcare sector needs workers badly. For example, the cost of long-term care has doubled over the last six years because the supply is so much lower than the demand.  And Americans won't do the home healthcare jobs.   

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

And yes, we are starved for workers.  But seriously, that's an excuse?  We need more unskilled labor so big corporate American can get back to being opened 24x7 and make ridiculous profits they aren't taxed much on anyway... that's what the party of 'workers' is advocating?

Maybe if you did a bit of research you would see how wrong you are. Immigrants just don't just increase the labor supply, they also buy stuff. Food, clothing, they pay for housing, health care, etc. All that stuff needs to be produced. Granted newcomers may not start spending on day 1 but businesses can see the immigration wave coming (f they were intelligent) and start ramping up. They'll need to hire more workers and probably increase wages.

Here's a bit help with your research..

https://noahpinion.substack.com/p/why-immigration-doesnt-reduce-wages?r=8iar&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

Maybe if you did a bit of research you would see how wrong you are. Immigrants just don't just increase the labor supply, they also buy stuff. Food, clothing, they pay for housing, health care, etc. All that stuff needs to be produced. Granted newcomers may not start spending on day 1 but businesses can see the immigration wave coming (f they were intelligent) and start ramping up. They'll need to hire more workers and probably increase wages.

https://noahpinion.substack.com/p/why-immigration-doesnt-reduce-wages?r=8iar&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Just read a report today about the Fed deciding to give up on the idea of any of the early retired baby booomers coming back to the labor force post pandemic and so anticipating the need to continue fighting wage pull inflation with higher interest rates. But heaven forbid we let any more people into the country who are pretty desperate for gainful employment to support their families.

4 hours ago, pfife said:

I think its so freaking hilarious when capitalism fellaters act like the capotalist system can't take an influx of less than 1% of the population.   Nice fucking system, buttholes

Yet DeSantis sends equivalent to .2% of the winter population to Martha's Vineyard and it's the end of the world.  

3 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I kind of want to do a Pfife response and blow off everything you posted because of your substack article link.  Basically equate it to some of the more nefarious users of substack...

Instead I'll say that what you're saying is valid, but it doesn't make my points wrong.  

You guys seem to think that me complaining about our border situation is because i'm your typical white GOP'er that hates brown people. Seems to be the MO for most of you.   I'm complaining about our border situation because it's out of control and our border patrol which should be ensuring that people that don't pose a risk to our security and that drugs don't come across the border.  Instead, they are glorified Uber drivers picking up people and transporting them to a facility to get a court date which statistically we know they will likely go to, and many will continue going to the follow up appointments, until they lose and disappear into the ether.  We are wasting money and resources on an issue which I have to believe there is a better way.  

I'm not against more immigration.  The idea of saying we're not "open" but continuously allowing migrants to run a gauntlet through Mexico isn't safe for the migrants and isn't working for us.

13 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

You're always so literal when it fits you. 

My point was if I posted a substack article, your MO would be to equate it to Greenwald or Taibbi and ignore it.  

So you wrote fan fiction about me.   That's some total loser shit bro.   Keep my name out your fantasies 

I responded to what you actually posted about me.    Too bad you can't do that for me and instead fucking make up what I said.   Blow it out your ass you damn liar

Edited by pfife

4 minutes ago, pfife said:

So you wrote fan fiction about me.   That's some total loser shit bro.   Keep my name out your fantasies 

I responded to what you actually posted.  Too bad you can't do that for me and I stead fucking make up what I said.   Blow it out your ass 

Truth hurts huh?

I like how you get so literal when it fits for you.  You know I wasn't specifically talking about you and substack, but what you've done to me so many times before, ignoring any source that isn't left of Mother Jones.

26 minutes ago, pfife said:

Have a good night proven liar.

You've proven time and time again you don't care about facts, unless they fit your narrative.  You also have said I have no right for you to dedicate time to my posts.  Maybe you should just realize I don't believe a word you say anyway and actually try to ignore my posts then?

Edited by ewsieg

14 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Not only do they contribute to the economy by buying stuff, they also contribute to the tax base with their income and their spending.

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Why do you keep focusing on numbers and ignoring the cruelty to people?

The number response was based on another number response which I guess was a dig at those that don't want any immigration, which I'm not an advocate of.  So, if 1% is what your side considers a drop in the bucket, then I don't want to hear sad stories when a city is "overrun" with .2% of their winter population.  

And again, can you explain what was cruel in this specific scenario?  People come into the southern border everyday trying to get to families or opportunities throughout the entire United States.  When they setup their court date they don't have to hang around El Paso for 9 months for that court date.  They are asked where they are heading and a court date is established for that jurisdiction.  

I know there was some talk with the DeSantis plane folks that they didn't want to go and were essentially kidnapped.  That was much more nefarious and frankly out of bounds for a governor in one state to do with folks never coming through his state.  For full context though, if I remember correctly, it had a decent amount of Venezuelan migrants who do not have some of the same government assistance programs in place that other migrants have and didn't realize it until they got to the United States.  They were going to feel duped even if they first stepped foot in blue California.  Still not excusable for what DeSantis did.

This is not that DeSantis plane ride though.  The federal government even has assisted in moving migrants to different states.  Or like I stated before, those migrants are on their own to find a way to the city they requested to have their hearing in.  

If we find out that this busload of people all requested to have their hearings in San Francisco, but were duped into a bus ride to DC for a photo op, than I'll be right on your side.