Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

"I don't know why we can't just get along.   Back when I was part of Apollo 22, standing on the moon, I saw that big blue ball and thought we all come from the same place, there is no other world, only ours........why can't we just realize that and get along"   - George Santos

Why would you put Matt Gaetz in charge of the armed services committee when you have a Congressional Medal of Honor winner right there?

Replies are funny.  Although I do get a little put off when Hollywood tries to make fun of itself yet everyone involved in said production is still doing what they mock. It’s fine because the shows are entertaining and nobody forces me to watch.  But don’t pretend to be making some big social commentary either.  

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

I'm starting to wonder whether, either in addition to or irrespective of self-loathing, closeted gays throw themselves into highly-visibly conservative milieus because they believe no one will ever suspect them or believe accusers, so they can get away with stuff like this.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm starting to wonder whether, either in addition to or irrespective of self-loathing, closeted gays throw themselves into highly-visibly conservative milieus because they believe no one will ever suspect them or believe accusers, so they can get away with stuff like this.

Its a concept in psychiatric field which is something like Breastplate of Righteouness (that's not correct, that's a biblical term) but the idea being that the person who perceives the vulnerability to public shaming because of the different, amoral (as perceived by the social group) inclinations can defend against approbation by being the most holy of the holy warriors. 

the too perfect teeth are a dead giveaway too.  

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

TBF, Mike White did confirm in interviews that his first season of White Lotus was meant to be a deconstruction of class distinctions.

Not sure this makes the original comment any less ridiculous.

Believe it or not, people may watch The White Lotus for reasons other than envy of the ultra wealthy 

Edited by mtutiger

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Believe it or not, people may watch The White Lotus for reasons other than envy of the ultra wealthy 

Maybe not, but it does add nuance to the idea that it's just entertainment, since the creator of it intended it to be a little more.

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe not, but it does add nuance to the idea that it's just entertainment, since the creator of it intended it to be a little more.

Entertainment that contains social commentary is , at the end of the day, entertainment. People watch entertainment for a variety of reasons, not one given reason or even for the reasons intended by its creator.

And given the size of the audience, probably not worth psychoanalysis of an entire shows audience. Anymore than me making up a psychoanalysis of Yellowstone's audience would be (a show which I'm guessing has a significant overlap with White Lotus and Succession despite having a much different commentary/POV)

Edited by mtutiger

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Also, not sure why you believe it or notted me, as if you're trying to make me see here, now. I was only sharing Mike White's own vision for the thing, with no editorializing on my part ... believe it or not. 😉

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Also, not sure why you believe it or notted me, as if you're trying to make me see here, now. I was only sharing Mike White's own vision for the thing, with no editorializing on my part ... believe it or not. 😉

I get it, I just don't think Mike White's vision is germane to the comment

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Entertainment that contains social commentary is , at the end of the day, entertainment. People watch entertainment for a variety of reasons, not one given reason or even for the reasons intended by its creator.

And given the size of the audience, probably not worth psychoanalysis of an entire shows audience. Anymore than me making up a psychoanalysis of Yellowstone's audience would be (a show which I'm guessing has a significant overlap with White Lotus and Succession despite having a much different commentary/POV)

I don't watch Yellowstone, have no idea what it's about other than a western of some sort, but I saw tweets saying some people are upset that it's become "woke" because of a plot point.  That made me laugh.

We binged White Lotus over the break.  It was entertaining but the whole "rich people suck" angle jumped out.  I got past it though.  I'm not looking for that when I watch TV shows.  

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I don't watch Yellowstone, have no idea what it's about other than a western of some sort, but I saw tweets saying some people are upset that it's become "woke" because of a plot point. 

Yellowstone is not woke lol... it's really not that much different than Succession in a lot of ways, for instance, it's just that the heroes and villains are of a different stripe in terms of background and politics of the script writing (pretty conservative). And both are equally enjoyable, at least for us.

It may simply be that viewers are attracted to shows that depict power dynamics within a family or a group of people that might coincide with those people having status. Which doesn't seem novel to me, given the existence of Dallas for instance 

Edited by mtutiger

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Yellowstone is not woke lol... it's really not that much different than Succession in a lot of ways, for instance, it's just that the heroes and villains are of a different stripe in terms of background and politics of the script writing (pretty conservative). And both are equally enjoyable, at least for us.

It may simply be that viewers are attracted to shows that depict power dynamics within a family or a group of people that might coincide with those people having status. Which doesn't seem novel to me, given the existence of Dallas for instance 

For real.  I have been to Southfork. 

I had it wrong.  The creator defended it against critics who said it’s “anti woke” and conservative.