Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

On 1/7/2023 at 7:27 AM, chasfh said:

I am frankly amazed at how much of a bogeyman “woke” has become.

I can see it's power.  From the perspective of those weaponizing it: its code for all the frustrations that the average person has with penalties they may face for free speech if their free speech is undesirable.

Edited by romad1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

I can see it's power.  From the perspective of those weaponizing it: its code for all the frustrations that the average person has with penalties they may face for free speech if their free speech is undesirable.

It's also such a soft target. G. Will wrote a column about a Princeton movement  to take down a stature of an early founder which, if Will has his facts correct, is a pretty clear case of reinterpreting the past through a completely inappropriate lens of the present. Likewise U Wisconsin recently had it panties in a bunch over the contributions Frederic March (a progressive for his day) made to their drama program because of some sin in his early life. This kind of stuff fails the smell test with most people who have gained some wider perspective on human existence.

I think even within a University community, I'm not sure how many people are out in the wokeness vanguard, I'd guess the majority take a more 'this too shall pass' attitude toward activist excess. But while that lenience is probably good pedagogy in terms of students working out what they believe for themselves, it's clearly not the best national politics for liberals to leave the rational middle on some of these things wide open for critics on the right to occupy.

Luckily, so far at UM the historical targets for erasure actually were pretty bad guys and so not very controversial.

11 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Lol

Our National Nightmare is finally over. For now

Actually from what I've read it's only a problem if the stoves are not properly vented.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering it those of us who grew up with coal fired furnaces should be receiving some sort of compensation from the coal industry. 

28 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Our National Nightmare is finally over. For now

Actually from what I've read it's only a problem if the stoves are not properly vented.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering it those of us who grew up with coal fired furnaces should be receiving some sort of compensation from the coal industry. 

Correct, there is a LOT of bad science being done here in service of political aims. And you certainly should not have a gas stove without an outside vent above it, which apparently you do see in a fair amount of 'newer' (i.3. <40yr) homes.  When we were house shopping in 2009 in MN I was amazed at the number of houses built in the 70-80-90s that did not have externally vented kitchen fans. Sort of bizarre actually that code requires you to have an outside vent in a bathroom for what is basically a nuisance  - odor, but not a kitchen where you have actual fire and food decomposition vapor even with an electric stove. Go figure.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 1/7/2023 at 7:27 AM, chasfh said:

I am frankly amazed at how much of a bogeyman “woke” has become.

Disclaimer; I'm only using this post to wonder about a few things. I have no idea what you are talking about, and I don't mean that in a bad way.

I really don't understand the "woke" definition, or what it is all about.  Seems media driven, IMO.

But I have noticed some things have changed. It seems we are more into pronouns than we used to be.  As I have disclosed, I teach college STEM classes.  In the last couple of years I have noticed e-mail signatures have changed by adding pronouns after their name. (he/him) kind of things.

OK, fine, I can work with that, but I'm also afraid of screwing up, you might say.  For example, one of my classes are all guys, and one of them uses 4 pronouns.  Guy isn't on the list.  I'm in front of the class giving a lecture, and say, OK guys, let's do this.  Will I get in trouble?  Perhaps.

If that is the case, I'm done. I can't teach people while walking on eggshells.

And I'm probably lucky.

I live in Cornhole, Ohio, out in the sticks, an hour from any fairly large city. Trumper country you might say. Even here, some really strange things happen. Local school had to put a cat litter box in the gender inclusive bathroom because a girl identified as a cat.  That's the truth.

I wonder where it all ends?

Edited by Screwball

46 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Disclaimer; I'm only using this post to wonder about a few things. I have no idea what you are talking about, and I don't mean that in a bad way.

I really don't understand the "woke" definition, or what it is all about.  Seems media driven, IMO.

But I have noticed some things have changed. It seems we are more into pronouns than we used to be.  As I have disclosed, I teach college STEM classes.  In the last couple of years I have noticed e-mail signatures have changed by adding pronouns after their name. (he/him) kind of things.

OK, fine, I can work with that, but I'm also afraid of screwing up, you might say.  For example, one of my classes are all guys, and one of them uses 4 pronouns.  Guy isn't on the list.  I'm in front of the class giving a lecture, and say, OK guys, let's do this.  Will I get in trouble?  Perhaps.

If that is the case, I'm done. I can't teach people while walking on eggshells.

And I'm probably lucky.

I live in Cornhole, Ohio, out in the sticks, an hour from any fairly large city. Trumper country you might say. Even here, some really strange things happen. Local school had to put a cat litter box in the gender inclusive bathroom because a girl identified as a cat.  That's the truth.

I wonder where it all ends?

Screwball, I was actually agreeing with the first part of your response, as I was asked to update personal data online for an upcoming doctor visit, and the question popped up to ask how I identified..  I admit to kinda laughing as I answered, but, yeah, folks are being asked to let them know how they want to be addressed. I just kind of find that to be a bit over the top, because if I were a person that wanted to be “identified” differently, I think I’d have prefer to talk to my doctor face to face.  But, whatever.

However, you disappoint me a bit by just repeating the “cat box at a local school” story, which is very much a crock of shit. 😂 “Everyone” is “saying” they know someone who knows someone where this happened in their school.  Sorry, but that’s nonsense.

15 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Screwball, I was actually agreeing with the first part of your response, as I was asked to update personal data online for an upcoming doctor visit, and the question popped up to ask how I identified..  I admit to kinda laughing as I answered, but, yeah, folks are being asked to let them know how they want to be addressed. I just kind of find that to be a bit over the top, because if I were a person that wanted to be “identified” differently, I think I’d have prefer to talk to my doctor face to face.  But, whatever.

However, you disappoint me a bit by just repeating the “cat box at a local school” story, which is very much a crock of shit. 😂 “Everyone” is “saying” they know someone who knows someone where this happened in their school.  Sorry, but that’s nonsense.

I'm disappointed you say that. It is absolutely true. I'm sorry I don't have pictures as my word doesn't seem good enough.

2 hours ago, Screwball said:

I'm disappointed you say that. It is absolutely true. I'm sorry I don't have pictures as my word doesn't seem good enough.

Did the school put it there or did some kid put it there as a joke?  I have met people who were non-binary and transgender and all those different types of identities.  I work in a very liberal environment where we are encouraged to be sensitive to all these different identies.  Half of my colleagues use pronouns (I don't because I think everyone can figure out that I'm a he).  I have never met anyone who identified as a cat nor been told to be inclusive of cat identifiers.  Maybe somewhere there is someone who thinks they are a cat, but I don't believe that it's a common thing we are supposed to embrace.  It sounds like urban legend to me.     

Edited by Tiger337

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Did the school put it there or did some kid put it there as a joke?  I have met people who were non-binary and transgender and all those different types of identities.  I work in a very liberal environment where we are encouraged to be sensitive to all these different identies.  Half of my colleagues use pronouns (I don't because I think everyone can figure out that I'm a he).  I have never met anyone who identified as a cat nor been told to be inclusive of cat identifiers.  Maybe somewhere there is someone who thinks they are a cat, but I don't believe that it's a common thing we are supposed to embrace.  It sounds like urban legend to me.     

That one is totally an urban legend

3 hours ago, oblong said:

Joe Rogan is a piece of shit.

He's Tucker Carlson for people under the age of 60.

When I do listen to Rogan, which isn't all that much, I tend to like the shows.  Granted I'm cherry picking the shows I want to listen to so that might be a big part of it.  I enjoy the long form interview style and Rogan is good at asking questions, but letting his guests lead the direction.  I certainly don't agree with everything he has said, but I guess I don't understand the complete disdain for the guy, especially from more liberal folks who have similar politics as him.

13 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I will have to ask the person who told me. I'm not sure if it was the school or the person. I'm not sure how this would have went down if it was a public school. There might have been some push back, but this one is private.

I had a kid last year who identified as a fish.  His e-mails, and I don't know how he did it, said after his name (a sarcastic fish).  The kid was a mess.  If you didn't stand right behind him, he wouldn't do anything. I was nothing more than a babysitter.  He couldn't follow simple instructions like put his name and date on an assignment he turned in.  He couldn't spell (sent me an e-mail once that started "I know I've been a bare), and sure wasn't very good with math, but yet, somehow, he was a junior in high school.  How does that happen?

I could write a book on the 3 horrible years I spent with high school kids and the daily shit show it is.  I honestly don't know how the teachers put up with it.

I'm glad all you up-to-date-on-the-issues people can sit here and tell me what is true and what isn't true about what happened in my very own town, told to me by someone I've known for years who works at the very place it happened.  Congrats.

4 hours ago, oblong said:

with regard to "woke"..... it just means people are pissed off they can't use the N word or make fun of gays anymore and the bitch about "woke" as a placeholder.

I assume this is directed at me.  I have no desire to call people the N word, so you can go fuck yourself.

Kick me off this gawd awful site, I don't really care.  I'm only here for the entertainment anyway.

34 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

When I do listen to Rogan, which isn't all that much, I tend to like the shows.  Granted I'm cherry picking the shows I want to listen to so that might be a big part of it.  I enjoy the long form interview style and Rogan is good at asking questions, but letting his guests lead the direction.  I certainly don't agree with everything he has said, but I guess I don't understand the complete disdain for the guy, especially from more liberal folks who have similar politics as him.

His guests matter a great deal.  If he's got Bill Burr on it's fine because Bill will throw it back at him.  And I like it with other comedians because that's what they'll talk about.  I like listening to history of stand up comedy discussions.  But after a few years I burned through it all and now I have no interest in any of his guests.  Someone with that reach needs to be more responsible with the misinformation. You can't just spout off shit like you are sitting with old men in a barber shop.