Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

"But Biden's not doing anything"

https://www.cato.org/blog/most-venezuelan-asylum-seekers-were-let-legally-november

Over the summer, the Biden administration successfully slashed illegal immigration from Haiti by letting Haitians apply for asylum at legal crossing points along the U.S.-Mexico border. In November, following its decision to expel Venezuelans who cross illegally, it has also begun to let many Venezuelans enter legally as well—both at airports and at the land borders. It shows how the administration can easily end the border crisis by increasing legal migration.

The number of Venezuelans at legal crossing points—officially labeled “inadmissibles”—jumped to 6,817 from just 781 in October and 184 in September. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) processed more Venezuelans at ports of entry in November than it has since it introduced Title 42 in March 2020.

About 80 percent were processed away from the border at U.S. airports under the Process for Venezuelans parole (P4V) program that the administration created at the end of October. Under this process, Venezuelans with U.S. sponsors can fly directly from South America to the United States and request “parole” (which is a temporary, discretionary status—effectively a waiver of the normal restrictions on legal entry).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

The number response was based on another number response which I guess was a dig at those that don't want any immigration, which I'm not an advocate of.  So, if 1% is what your side considers a drop in the bucket, then I don't want to hear sad stories when a city is "overrun" with .2% of their winter population.  

Who posted stories about a city overrun with .2% of their winter population?   

Also thanks for admitting you're guessing - most of us already knew that but that's the most honest thing you've posted in the last 12 hours.

Edited by pfife

12 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I saw this dude on CSPan last week when I was bathing in stuff only to the left of Mother Jones (tm liar).   He was really, really good.   I couldn't believe he was from the Cato Institute.  He was one of hte only people Ive ever heard on CSPAN say that people can claim asylum here regardless of how they entered the country, which is posted directly on the CBP website (which is also to the left of Mother Jones tm liar)

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Years ago when the union portion of my company was threatening a strike, they put out an email to the company saying our CEO made 120 million over the past 5 years.  The company 'shot back', informing us all how he only made 100 million.  Your post reminded me of that.

1) My tempered response to your post - I'm glad to see he's trying something and the work with Venezuela is more in line with what I think would be helpful.  As for the Haiti response, please reread that and tell me if you see anything that could backfire there.  He "slashed" illegal immigration, which indicates he helped the border issue.  But all he did was encourage Haitians to get to Mexico and come through that border and declare Asylum.  Which anyone can do anyway, just lucky enough for the Haitians as they will be approved once they go through that court system at some location of their choosing in the United States.  

2) The back of my mind response to your post.  I thought Biden couldn't do anything because the GOP kept blocking him?

19 minutes ago, pfife said:

Who posted stories about a city overrun with .2% of their winter population?   

Also thanks for admitting you're guessing - most of us already knew that but that's the most honest thing you've posted in the last 12 hours.

On 9/15/2022 at 10:55 AM, Motown Bombers said:

What about dropping them off on an island where a majority of residents have left for the year is helping migrates towards a place of refuge and safety? 

I just looked up some numbers from Google to get that number.  The amount on the DeSantis plane divided by the winter population of Martha's Vineyard, which I'm guessing was not yet quite down to winter population yet in September.  It's an interesting part of the thread if you care to rehash.  We're reminded of when Lightfoot took 200 migrants that showed up on Chicago and sent them to the much smaller suburbs without notice.  But she likes immigrants so she gets a pass.  You'll also see that I've been consistent with how awful DeSantis is with this issue.

Yet DeSantis and Abbott love immigrants from Northern states (including so called Snowbirds).

Let's face it we are a country that hates foreigners, from the very beginning. Our ancestors hated the Dutch, Germans, Irish, anyone who wasn't English and the ones they sent here were usually the debtors or poor reputations (outside of the businessmen that were in charge of the business proposition of the new world)

In our history we've rejected the Jews, Irish, Italians, Japanese, Chinese, folks from the Middle East. I even remember the uproar over accepting boat people from Cuba, even Vietnamese refugees.

Why change now, hell let's invade Mexico again.

6 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I just looked up some numbers from Google to get that number.  The amount on the DeSantis plane divided by the winter population of Martha's Vineyard, which I'm guessing was not yet quite down to winter population yet in September.  It's an interesting part of the thread if you care to rehash.  We're reminded of when Lightfoot took 200 migrants that showed up on Chicago and sent them to the much smaller suburbs without notice.  But she likes immigrants so she gets a pass.  You'll also see that I've been consistent with how awful DeSantis is with this issue.

That's a sad story about how dropping the migrants at Martha's Vineyard doesn't help the migrants, not that it overruns Martha's Vineyard.   

Maybe you need to search from before f'ing September for what you don't want to hear hoss

3 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

I’m not sure why numbers and percentages are used at all. Cruelty is cruelty and these are humans like the rest of us. 

You've all convinced me.  When I'm president, where ever you claim asylum, that's your new home.  Family in St. Louis that you want to start your new life with?  Well, i'm not going to be part of that cruelty, they can visit you if they really love you.  I'd put the army on all the northern borders of the southern border states to ensure no immigrants are being 'trafficked' to other states.

You really want to live in St. Louis, well find a way to that city before claiming asylum.  Apparently making that portion of the process harder is not considered cruelty.

6 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

You've all convinced me.  When I'm president, where ever you claim asylum, that's your new home.  Family in St. Louis that you want to start your new life with?  Well, i'm not going to be part of that cruelty, they can visit you if they really love you.  I'd put the army on all the northern borders of the southern border states to ensure no immigrants are being 'trafficked' to other states.

You really want to live in St. Louis, well find a way to that city before claiming asylum.  Apparently making that portion of the process harder is not considered cruelty.

Who is saying any of this?

10 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Good we don't want anymore freakin Half-Backs from Texas or Florida to come in and destroy our lovely tourist traps, build more pancake houses and mattress stores and tear down lovely spots like all our antique malls.

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Good we don't want anymore freakin Half-Backs from Texas or Florida to come in and destroy our lovely tourist traps, build more pancake houses and mattress stores and tear down lovely spots like all our antique malls.

Bijan Robinson is pretty damn good

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Care to elaborate why?

I don't like being pigeon-holed into a "side". It's reductive and serves to diminish the perception of my agency. That puts me on the defensive, and I don't like the results when I reply while feeling on the defensive.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't like being pigeon-holed into a "side". It's reductive and serves to diminish the perception of my agency. That puts me on the defensive, and I don't like the results when I reply while feeling on the defensive.

Understood.  I really do try not to do that, but obviously it bleeds through from time to time.  The last part of your statement is ringing true to me as well.  I feel like that probably sums up the last page of my responses.

4 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Understood.  I really do try not to do that, but obviously it bleeds through from time to time.  The last part of your statement is ringing true to me as well.  I feel like that probably sums up the last page of my responses.

That’s cool, I can appreciate that.

Does anyone know where you can find the Hutchinson transcript and if you can, confirm this is part of it?  I've heard reports from it and today the Meadows burning classified documents, but I happened across this on Twitter.  Burning classified documents is pretty clear cut case for a Felony, but this seems much more interesting to me. 

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Does anyone know where you can find the Hutchinson transcript and if you can, confirm this is part of it?  I've heard reports from it and today the Meadows burning classified documents, but I happened across this on Twitter.  Burning classified documents is pretty clear cut case for a Felony, but this seems much more interesting to me. 

This is what we get when we insist that businessmen make the best presidents—an environment that leads to people who think taking classified intel with them whenever and wherever they want is perfectly, legitimately normal. I myself remember highly-placed people at companies where I worked who stole company secrets and shared them with outsiders on the reg. No big whoop.

Yeah I've seen that done.  A guy quits the company, signs on with a competitor, and takes a bunch of drawings with him.  Courts weren't sympathetic to the big mean corporation trying to prevent a guy from making an honest living.  Taking classified government documents home though, multiple copies, that's a whole other thing.

Imprisoning Meadows would be a good first step and would not inspire a single streetcorner protest.

9 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yeah I've seen that done.  A guy quits the company, signs on with a competitor, and takes a bunch of drawings with him.  Courts weren't sympathetic to the big mean corporation trying to prevent a guy from making an honest living.  Taking classified government documents home though, multiple copies, that's a whole other thing.

Imprisoning Meadows would be a good first step and would not inspire a single streetcorner protest.

The tricky part with that is, how do they imprison Meadows but also justify not going after Trump for the same kind of thing? Avoiding demonstrations of protests or violence won’t cut it.

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The tricky part with that is, how do they imprison Meadows but also justify not going after Trump for the same kind of thing? Avoiding demonstrations of protests or violence won’t cut it.

You start with Meadows and a few other grunts, they get 15 years and it is clear to everyone that Trump's day is coming.  When he is finally arrested it will be an anti climax.