Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

On 12/30/2022 at 7:21 PM, Tiger337 said:

Just wondering if Mr. Hahn knows how and when his family first came here.    In the 19th Century a fair amount of Germans came here and at the time they were considered Undesirables.    Eventually the assimilated into our culture and they culture influenced America...........just like every other culture, which is what makes this country great and interesting.    Yep, there are a lot of illegals in El Paso.  I don't think they wanted to leave their home countries just for kicks.   With a worker shortage in this country, which is partly responsible for production and distribution delays and inflation, you'd think we can find them work.     One crazy liberal in 1980 suggested opening our borders to immigrants so they can work here, pay taxes, earn citizenship and lay the groundwork for a new life here.  That crazy liberal Ronald Reagan.  

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Does this guy have to make everything political?

It's just a movie lol

Not unexpected tough. Film is a big vector for the injection of cultural or political values into a society - and to be fair, many film makers are very conscious of their political or cultural intent in their filmaker. Always been that way, right back to 'Birth of Nation' in 1915. Since most filmakers tilt left (though not all - e.g D.W Griffiths) that makes all of Hollywood's output suspect for today's right side culture warriors.

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not unexpected tough. Film is a big vector for the injection of cultural or political values into a society - and to be fair, many film makers are very conscious of their political or cultural intent in their filmaker. Always been that way, right back to 'Birth of Nation' in 1915. Since most filmakers tilt left (though not all - e.g D.W Griffiths) that makes all of Hollywood's output suspect for today's right side culture warriors.

Rian Johnson (director of Glass Onion) was notorious for implying that anyone in Star Wars multiverse could have the Force and not just a select few chosen.  

20 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Rian Johnson (director of Glass Onion) was notorious for implying that anyone in Star Wars multiverse could have the Force and not just a select few chosen.  

yeah - In a way I was dissappointed in the lack of originality that making Rey a Palpatine was. Especially after the tease with the kid and the broom in the last shot of the earlier film, and of course Finn's character as well. But much like Tolkein before him, Lucas started out in the beginning telling a hereditary nobility/Monarchist story, so fitting enough in that way that the skywalker arc ended back with same ethos where it began.

Edited by gehringer_2

But other material in the Star Wars canon confirms others are force sensitive.  I get it within that set of films but looking back I thought Johnson’s take set up the expansion of the overall universal in a big screen format. Rey could have been like Ezra or any of the other force characters we have seen in the tv shows.  But I guess that’s not big enough for the Big 9 of the trilogies.  Some suggest that Han Solo was subliminally using the force in his piloting and thats why he was so good.  

32 minutes ago, oblong said:

But other material in the Star Wars canon confirms others are force sensitive.  I get it within that set of films but looking back I thought Johnson’s take set up the expansion of the overall universal in a big screen format. Rey could have been like Ezra or any of the other force characters we have seen in the tv shows.  But I guess that’s not big enough for the Big 9 of the trilogies.  Some suggest that Han Solo was subliminally using the force in his piloting and thats why he was so good.  

I think it just goes back to the deeper human literary tradition. To give a character narrative immediate weight you make it about an 'important' person - ie. a king or queen or emperor. Heck, it goes back to Sophecles. Don't just write about a dyfunctional family - write about the King's dysfunctional family! Lucas intially imagined Star Wars as a sci-fi recapitulation of ancient mythic forms, so the concentration on nobility/emperors etc all was natural. If you take just the nine films in the primary arc, the 2nd set went completely back to an aristocratic environ, but it was notable that at the end of #6, Palpatine was supposedly destoyed and the rebel had won the battle but neigher Luke or Leia stepped into their places as heirs to any throne, which left open the possibility that the last series might deliberately take a more proletarian turn. And it does initially with Finn and Rey and Poe all being basically rapscallions. But in the end Abrams couldn't resist the pull of bringing Ren and Rey's nobility back to the fore and the old aristocracy to its own redemption to close the story.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Watched Glass Onion a couple nights ago. We really liked it. Need to see Knives Out now. 

Haven't seen "Onion". Saw KO and it was fun - silly, plot sort of winds up in a hurry at the end but that was OK. Craig's 'accent' is completely unidentifiable, or maybe say it travels to a lot of different places during the course of the film(!), but he has fun with it.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think it just goes back to the deeper human literary tradition. To give a character narrative immediate weight you make it about an 'important' person - ie. a king or queen or emperor. Heck, it goes back to Sophecles. Don't just write about a dyfunctional family - write about the King's dysfunctional family! Lucas intially imagined Star Wars as a sci-fi recapitulation of ancient mythic forms, so the concentration on nobility/emperors etc all was natural. If you take just the nine films in the primary arc, the 2nd set went completely back to an aristocratic environ, but it was notable that at the end of #6, Palpatine was supposedly destoyed and the rebel had won the battle but neigher Luke or Leia stepped into their places as heirs to any throne, which left open the possibility that the last series might deliberately take a more proletarian turn. And it does initially with Finn and Rey and Poe all being basically rapscallions. But in the end Abrams couldn't resist the pull of bringing Ren and Rey's nobility back to the fore and the old aristocracy to its own redemption to close the story.

I see the fault as a lack of direction by the studio. Rey’s lineage was a major plot point and keeping the aristocracy angle meant 2 (or 3 if anyone remotely considered Palpatine) choices.  Kind of anticlimactic so the “nobody” reveal was the twist.  I didn’t like the “well actually…” pullback.   They should have went into the 3 films with a clear arc and let the individual filmmakers work around that.  

48 minutes ago, oblong said:

I see the fault as a lack of direction by the studio.

Film directors successful enough to be in the running for the biggest films are the last auteurs. Sign one on and you've decided to accept his vision or you signed the wrong guy. I'd agree the process was faulty in a way though. The last three all felt very different from each other to me - even though Abrams did two of them. But that's partly because I thought 8 was a pretty terribly composed film plot wise (any sane military commanders would have court martialed and executed Poe instead of waxing about how cute he was after he'd gotten a zillion folks killed) but the last reel bought back Johnson some forgiveness.

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Biden needs to step in and stop all of these hitler'esqe Governor's from violating all these human rights.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/03/colorado-migrants-new-york-00076115

Sorry about that quote, consider that disinformation.  The full quote adds much more context

“We were notified yesterday that the governor of Colorado is now stating that they are going to be sending migrants to places like New York and Chicago,” Adams said during a radio appearance. “This is just unfair for local governments to have to take on this national obligation.”

Only 1 day notice.  Horrific!!  These are human beings, can't believe these like minded Governors think all alike.  Read the article to listen to this governors excuse on why he thinks this is OK.  Don't let him off the hook, vote him out!!!!