Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

A sad day for America when a coup-de-tats happened and threatened the very foundation of our democracy. Now it is time for Merrick Garland the US Attorneys to do their job and bring justice for we the people, our Constitutional rights, and our democracy. Go get him Merrick!

I wish I had thought of Coup de "Tats"   

Except:  Fanone has more tats than any of the insurrectionists.  

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I know they are still at least a couple of steps away from this, but that whatever point these charges go to court, are they actually going to apprehend Trump? And if so, how will they apprehend him? Or do they expect he’s going to just walk into court and face the music like a good little boy?

Don't they normally negotiate a 'surrender' at the courthouse for a hearing, at which point the high profile prep posts bond and goes back home? Might be hard to get Trump to do even that though. I suppose they could conveniently not watch the FLA airports and just let him flee the country. Once under indictment I'm pretty sure he would never come back.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Don't they normally negotiate a 'surrender' at the courthouse for a hearing, at which point the high profile prep posts bond and goes back home? Might be hard to get Trump to do even that though. I suppose they could conveniently not watch the FLA airports and just let him flee the country. Once under indictment I'm pretty sure he would never come back.

I think a perp walk would be the best thing i've seen since the birth of my last child or the final out of the 2012 ALCS. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Upon further research, by rule the committee is 50/50 split and there is a non-partisan Office of Congressional Ethics.

Yessir.   It's my understanding as well.   Might be the only one that's always 50/50.   I bet the GOP stacks it with people with ethics issues.... as if they have members that dont.

Would the government just look the other way with the hope that Trump exiles himself? That strikes me as off-brand, but also, the danger is that if Trump’s Q score somehow increases as people come to believe he was politically martyred, he could become even more dangerous as a leader-in-exile, outside the reach of US control. If he were to go to a country hostile to the US, which I believe to be the leading probability if he does leave, he could do way more damage to America than he ever could under house arrest at one of his properties here.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Would the government just look the other way with the hope that Trump exiles himself? That strikes me as off-brand, but also, the danger is that if Trump’s Q score somehow increases as people come to believe he was politically martyred, he could become even more dangerous as a leader-in-exile, outside the reach of US control. If he were to go to a country hostile to the US, which I believe to be the leading probability if he does leave, he could do way more damage to America than he ever could under house arrest at one of his properties here.

IDK. There seems to be some opinion forming that he is already old news to a short attention span US public. But who knows? 

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK. There seems to be some opinion forming that he is already old news to a short attention span US public. But who knows? 

Sure, he’s old news now, I agree. But attended to the right set of circumstances, this kind of thing can wax as well as wane.

6 hours ago, pfife said:

Yessir.   It's my understanding as well.   Might be the only one that's always 50/50.   I bet the GOP stacks it with people with ethics issues.... as if they have members that dont.

My Congressman is one of the five, and has ethics issues.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, pfife said:

MSNBC's roundup tonight of the hearings today isn't as hard core as it normally is, so I'm going to read that report that dropped today.  Anyone read any of it yet?

It's on the Jan 6 website. I skimmed it, but it seemed to track pretty similarly to the presentation they gave today.

Another reason to go to the primary source and just skip cable news 😀 

C-Span callers are one of my windows into how people with different political views think.... and sometimes it's wild.....

Over the last couple days I've heard these both quite a bit:

1) There's no one on the Jan 6 committee defending Trump so it's biased.

2) Why was Ray Epps not brought in?

Facts:

1) Trump was literally subpoenaed by the committee and refused , as did many people who could also defend Trump.  Not to mention that Kevin McCarthy tanked a version of the committee that would have had 50/50 representation across parties.

2) Ray Epps was brought in.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/jan-6-committee-dismisses-ray-epps-conspiracy-theory-issues-new-n1287335

The House committee investigating the attack on the U.S. Capitol sought to dismiss a right-wing conspiracy theory by announcing Tuesday that Ray Epps, who was seen trying to egg on protesters ahead of the Jan. 6 riot, told committee members in an interview that he was not a federal agent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, pfife said:

Strange, I'm seeing photos of thousands of people waiting on the Mexico side of the border for Title 42 to end, but I've also been told the borders were open under Biden.   It's almost as if it's a lie. 

I've also been seeing a lot of Texas politicians using a bullhorn to talk openly how are borders are open, yet wondering why so many migrants might attempt to come here.

Strange.

Edited by mtutiger