Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

idea that we hated disco because of homophobia rang so false to me once I first heard about it some 30 years after the fact

yeah. Sometimes I think people who decide to write recent history history don't have the sense to talk to the people who were there who could set them a little straighter than some of the flights of fancy you read. And you will notice as you get older it only gets worse in terms of younger academics trying to tell you what was going on that you lived through 1st hand.

Which is not to say that just because you lived through an era you didn't miss anything that was happening, but on the broad brush suppositions, your experience is probably as valid as any second hand sourcing a historian can do after the fact - especially one pushing a pet thesis

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah. Sometimes I think people who decide to write recent history history don't have the sense to talk to the people who were there who could set them a little straighter than some of the flights of fancy you read. And you will notice as you get older it only gets worse in terms of younger academics trying to tell you what was going on that you lived through 1st hand.

Which is not to say that just because you lived through an era you didn't miss anything that was happening, but on the broad brush supposition, your experience is probably as valid as any second hand sourcing a historian can do after the fact - especially one pushing a pet thesis

I do think there is not a small amount of underdogging going on, too, which ties into your pet thesis hypothesis.

6 hours ago, oblong said:

I learned from a recent Bee Gees documentary about the evolution of Disco and it's prominence in the gay community very early on.  Then the Bee Gees made Saturday Night Fever and suddenly everybody decided to make disco and that's what ruined it.  It had it's niche market and was fine but then it was over saturated.  There was also some definite anti gay sentiment behind the drive against it.  Not saying that's what people today are doing but within the times of the 70's that was a force.

I was too young to know that at the time...

I just thought disco sucked (too heavily invested in Black Sabbath, Zep, the Who etc... to appreciate anything disco...).

Wasn't it a WRIF-Rock show that "electrocuted" disco lovers (nor really, just sound effects...) on the air?

"Hello? Who is this? Do you love disco?"

"Yes."

"BZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!!!"

5 hours ago, oblong said:

Here's an article that goes into more detail.

https://signorile.substack.com/p/the-disco-sucks-movement-and-the

To say "none of this" is a stretch as obviously at the time that was the feeling.  It's not rewriting history....

On the flipside:

Especially growing up in Detroit... I had a massive love affair with Motown.

I can't get enough of it and have expanded from there to Atlantic Blues, 70's R&B and modern R&B, trip hop, electronica (with R&B singers). Also Jazz, bebop, hard bop, etc.

I adore Marvin Gaye, the Temptations, Etta James, Billy Holiday, Sam Cooke, Jr. Walker and the All-Stars, Macy Gray, Doris Troy, Miles Davis, Wynton & Branford Marsalis, Diana Ross, and the Supremes, John Coltrane... also Sade, Manu Dubango, Habib Koite, Bamada, and other African musicians. And I haven't even begun to scratch the surface.

But disco still sucks.

16 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I was too young to know that at the time...

I just thought disco sucked (too heavily invested in Black Sabbath, Zep, the Who etc... to appreciate anything disco...).

Wasn't it a WRIF-Rock show that "electrocuted" disco lovers (nor really, just sound effects...) on the air?

"Hello? Who is this? Do you love disco?"

"Yes."

"BZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!!!"

Hmmmm...

This might not go over very well...

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Which is not to say that just because you lived through an era you didn't miss anything that was happening, but on the broad brush suppositions, your experience is probably as valid as any second hand sourcing a historian can do after the fact - especially one pushing a pet thesis

But the clips and sources I have seen were of people saying that at that time. 
i was born in ‘73 so I have no input.  

I once saw an anecdote that when people say “I like all music except country” there is a hidden bias against “rednecks”.  When people say “I like all music except rap” there is a hidden bias against “black culture” if not blacks themselves.  I wonder if the “I hate disco “ started that way.  Sure many if not most were referring to Disco Duck type things.  But like many things once it goes mainstream then it does suck, like many genres.  

Maybe I should have never brought up disco.  🙂

I grew up in that era, and I never thought, nor did any of my buddies at the time, that disco was about gays or whoever.  The way we took it was more of a class thing.  Maybe class isn't the right word here, but I don't know what else to call it.

Example: late 70s probably, there was a night club around Toledo/Bowling Green Ohio called Dixie Electric.  4 of us guys decided to go there on Saturday night to see what the attraction was.  We were blue jean tee shirt type people who drank beer.  We go into that place, which was quite big in comparison to our little rinky dink clubs around Cornhole.  They had a lighted dance floor and music going.  It looked like we just entered the world of Saturday Night Fever with a bunch of John Travolta's showing off their stuff.

We got a table and the waitress came over and we ordered beers.  She looked at us like we were from Mars.  So did everyone else.  We might have stayed for a couple hours, but the entire time we became the entertainment. People were pointing, laughing at us, making snotty comments, and trying to make us uncomfortable since we didn't fit the picture.  No high heels, no fancy clothes, and no Grasshopper type drinks.

We found it funny, but we could sure tell we were from the other side of the tracks according to them.  We didn't care what they looked like, or they liked that kind of music.  To each their own - no biggy.  These people just reeked of superiority and we had to know it.  Well woop-t-fucking-do!  Ain't you all that and a bag of chips.  It made me think of the book - "The Outsiders."

They might have looked nice, and danced real good - but probably couldn't change a tire on their car.

10 hours ago, oblong said:

Here's an article that goes into more detail.

https://signorile.substack.com/p/the-disco-sucks-movement-and-the

To say "none of this" is a stretch as obviously at the time that was the feeling.  It's not rewriting history.

From a rolling stone piece in 1979

From the article above.

I mean... why not just let people enjoy what they enjoy?  The critique I see here is a musical one which is fine to have if it's not your cup of tea but it's not hurting anybody if an ostracized community finds comfort and pleasure from "house" music that may not live up to your standards of what music should be.

this sounds to me like people in the 90's complaining that Rap and Hip Hop was not real music.  That sentiment was very real and it isn't until the last 10-15 years that suddenly everybody seems to have been a fan when I can tell you as a young adult at the time they certainly were not.  We'd never have nevisioned Ice T doing reverse mortage commercials or Snoop Dogg doing stuff with martha stewart.  People wanted them in jail.

Good stuff man.

It really wasn't that long ago that Bill Orielly was all about trashing rappers on his show... and trying to use them to attack Democrats.... now Kanye gets fellated on fox news.  

8 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Oh man.  I remember first hearing Colors from the movie Soundtrack and thinking who the hell is this guy.   Power and The Iceberg were way ahead of their time.  When he started Body Count, my mind was melted like what can’t this guy do.  Then he went on Law and Order for 15 years and also has national ad campaigns.  Ice is a legend and still one of my favorite old school rappers.   Rhyme Syndicate For Life!  

Body Count was pretty hard core... I listened to that a few months ago for old time sake.....  I hate to report it's NOT a timeless record.   I listened to it a ton when it came out.   Ernie C kilt it tho for sure

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pfife said:

Body Count was pretty hard core... I listened to that a few months ago for old time sake.....  I hate to report it's NOT a timeless record.   I listened to it a ton when it came out.   Ernie C kilt it tho for sure

Yeah I can imagine.  I remember there was a song and the only lyrics were Body Count and the n word repeated.

Edited by Hongbit

15 minutes ago, pfife said:

I did the same thing a few years ago. laughingly bad. Like a parody. And it was so familiar even though I hadn’t listened since the first few months it came out. CD was cool though. 

11 hours ago, pfife said:

Good stuff man.

It really wasn't that long ago that Bill Orielly was all about trashing rappers on his show... and trying to use them to attack Democrats.... now Kanye gets fellated on fox news.  

Isn't it interesting how he goes fully antisemite  and now they love him.   Shows exactly where they stand.   I don't know, maybe any advertisers with Jewish people on their boards should stop stop advertising on their network.  

Do any of you know who Jeremy DeWitte is ?    

Dude goes around impersonating a cop.   He's been doing this for years.   He runs a service directing traffic for funeral processions - because I guess that is needed in Florida?    His company is called Metro State and he paints all his motorcycles and vehicles like they are cop cars and he dresses like a cop and is constantly trying to pull people over and he keeps getting busted (because he films himself doing this).    He's got some pretty ugly things in his past (soliciting minors, stolen valor) and he keeps doing it and he keeps getting arrested and he keeps begging for money.    It's fucking insane.  

57 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Do any of you know who Jeremy DeWitte is ?    

Dude goes around impersonating a cop.   He's been doing this for years.   He runs a service directing traffic for funeral processions - because I guess that is needed in Florida?    His company is called Metro State and he paints all his motorcycles and vehicles like they are cop cars and he dresses like a cop and is constantly trying to pull people over and he keeps getting busted (because he films himself doing this).    He's got some pretty ugly things in his past (soliciting minors, stolen valor) and he keeps doing it and he keeps getting arrested and he keeps begging for money.    It's fucking insane.  

Is he a MAGA?

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Is he a MAGA?

I don't know.   I'm pretty sure he can't vote currently because he's been in and out of jail.    he has over a million views on his youtube page, so he actually makes money off this crap.    But what is his endgame?   I think he believes that cops are just going to acquiesce and say "okay, we'll let you be a cop".   

When he was in high school he was part of a program for future cops, but he got hold of a police gas card and used it on his own vehicle and well, that was the end of his dream of being a cop, so he just pretends to be one.  

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't know.   I'm pretty sure he can't vote currently because he's been in and out of jail.    he has over a million views on his youtube page, so he actually makes money off this crap.    But what is his endgame?   I think he believes that cops are just going to acquiesce and say "okay, we'll let you be a cop".   

When he was in high school he was part of a program for future cops, but he got hold of a police gas card and used it on his own vehicle and well, that was the end of his dream of being a cop, so he just pretends to be one.  

People who really want to be cops are scary.   While I was in the military there were always these beer or liquor-infused bull sessions where dudes would sit around and talk about NCO's lashing out punishment on troops and the storytime element of humor or whatever else was of interest would sort of keep my attention but there is that group of people who really get off on the power dynamic.   Obviously, plenty of police are doing the job for honorable reasons.  There are those scary types who are in playtime for the TV show in their heads. 

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

People who really want to be cops are scary.   While I was in the military there were always these beer or liquor-infused bull sessions where dudes would sit around and talk about NCO's lashing out punishment on troops and the storytime element of humor or whatever else was of interest would sort of keep my attention but there is that group of people who really get off on the power dynamic.   Obviously, plenty of police are doing the job for honorable reasons.  There are those scary types who are in playtime for the TV show in their heads. 

Jeremy has also claimed to be in the armed forces, but he can not be because he has 2 felonies in his past, so he lies about that too. 

This is him...........claiming that THIS is not him trying to impersonate a cop.  That is a fake badge, it says "Metro State" on it

Jeremy Dewitte – Phony Police Officer but Confirmed Sex Offender. : This ain't Hell, but you can ...

1 minute ago, smr-nj said:

Thompson seems to get ahead of the rest of the committee when it comes to these little info drops, doesn’t he? 😁

well, he's the boss.   I gather the staff has had conflict with Liz Cheney over the singular focus she has on Trump and their interest in full accounting.   She might be right. We have to get the head of the snake.