Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

Who do you folks follow that you're constantly seeing MTG on Twitter.  I see her trending occasionally, I stay away from that.

It was mostly people dunking on her. The quote tweet dunk amplifies these people. The Rupars and Flipowskis of the world are toxic.

21 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Who do you folks follow that you're constantly seeing MTG on Twitter.  I see her trending occasionally, I stay away from that.

I don't see her much.  Sometimes, the baseball tweeters that I follow ridicule her and I see that.  Occasionally, I'll click on a trending topic where I don't even know what the title means and something stupid will show up.  I wish there was a way we could drop trending topics from our feed.  They are completely useless.   

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't see her much.  Sometimes, the baseball tweeters that I follow ridicule her and I see that.  Occasionally, I'll click on a trending topic where I don't even know what the title means and something stupid will show up.  I wish there was a way we could drop trending topics from our feed.  They are completely useless.   

yes, Trending is stupid.  Usually it's just a bunch of tweets telling me something is trending.

1 hour ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Supposedly even Alex Jones was taken aback to it. Yikes. In between this and being friends with Nick Fuentes, the man ain’t well (not that he ever has been). 

Its an extremely self-indulgent turn for him.  I think indicative that he lacks some basic judgement which is likely caused by untreated mental illness.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What if his "mental illness" is actually him just being an asshole?  

He's not making the right choices is what the elementary school's guidance counselor would have said to me after I spent a day drawing instead of doing my school work.  

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What if his "mental illness" is actually him just being an asshole?  

A lot of mental illness manifests itself in assholery.

We might even be able to make a case that being an unrepentant asshole is in itself a sign of mental illness to some degree, in that someone engaging in asshole behavior either refuses to change in the face of overwhelming evidence that it’s a social liability, or they recognize its liability but can’t control their behavior before the fact. I can’t think of many people who understand that being an asshole is a problem but who engage in it with aforethought for strategic advantage—which in itself maybe be signs of sociopathic tendency. I don’t know if I buy this line of argument, because it is interesting to contemplate.

17 hours ago, chasfh said:

Exacerbated by the fact that no one around him can say no to him.

That's why I am starting to believe he's not really mentally ill - he's just an insufferable asshole and nobody is there to check him, so his assholery goes wild.         But you know and I know, he'll still sell records.    Just like the jackass country singer who went to No. 1 right after video came out of him calling a neighbor the n-word.     This country may not have lost it's mind on Election Night, but it can still be a cesspool.  The internet makes it worse. 

22 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That's why I am starting to believe he's not really mentally ill - he's just an insufferable asshole and nobody is there to check him, so his assholery goes wild.         But you know and I know, he'll still sell records.    Just like the jackass country singer who went to No. 1 right after video came out of him calling a neighbor the n-word.     This country may not have lost it's mind on Election Night, but it can still be a cesspool.  The internet makes it worse. 

You have to accept the foundational notion that mental illness is by degrees or by stages.  Lack of empathy and antisemitism is a symptom of an individual who has lost some basic context on his relationships to society.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Maybe, although I don't believe that just because that no one around him can say no to him is de facto evidence that he is a mental illness-free asshole.

To be clear, I do not believe that claims to mental illness gives anyone a license to freely be an asshole in public. The public needs to be defended against assholes, regardless of the reasons why in the first place.

On 11/29/2022 at 8:48 PM, LaceyLou said:

I have mixed feelings on sharing tweets from people like MTG.... On the one hand, I agree with people who say "Stop making stupid people famous," and am sick of the media giving "certain" politicians a lot of press because of the controversy they cause.

On the other hand... people unfortunately do follow these people, and even more unfortunately actually will vote for them, and I'm a firm believer in knowing what 'the enemy' is up to.

She and her compadres also have a lot of political relevance at this particular moment with such a small majority and Kevin cutting backroom deals for their support.

There's a fine line between giving too much and too little attention, but let's not pretend she (and statements she makes) aren't newsworthy either

• Like 1