Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

some smart person on the twitter pointed out how ridiculous a 5 or less majority would be; reps get sick, go to weddings, funerals, die, are stoned out of their minds at their crash pad, are stuck in traffic, or just want to screw over someone in their own caucus. there will be no Pelosi on the GQP side to keep them united; and they have Team Crazy to deal with; should be fun!

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Tim Miller on The Bulwark podcast today...calls out our great state.

I was reminded on this pod of the Gretchen Whitmer "Its Shark Week, mother fu$#er"  which of course because Trump is terrified of Sharks was a power move.

Edited by romad1

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Trump lost his token Black female.  

some people have noted that even if the GOP coalesces around someone new, Trump is likely to run 3rd party, which probably gives the Dems 400 EV. But even if he doesn't, for the foreseeable future elections are all going to turn on turn-out, because no-one's mind is being changed by anything in the US today, and there just isn't any doubt that a GOP without Trump on the ballot is going to be a less enthusiastic GOP, which means a lower turn-out GOP.

But of course it cuts both ways, even with all the 'threat to Democracy' drumbeat on the D side, it looks like 2022 total turnout will be lower than 2018 was - ergo the loss of the House seats. Just as Trump on the ballot drives GOP turnout, Trump out of office reduces the perceived theat that drives D turnout. The good new for the Dems is the trend of more young people voting, even as limited as it is.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

some people have noted that even if the GOP coalesces around someone new, Trump is likely to run 3rd party, which probably gives the Dems 400 EV. But even if he doesn't, for the foreseeable future elections are all going to turn on turn-out, because no-one's mind is being changed by anything in the US today, and there just isn't any doubt that a GOP without Trump on the ballot is going to be a less enthusiastic GOP, which means a lower turn-out GOP.

But of course it cuts both ways, even with all the 'threat to Democracy' drumbeat on the D side, it looks like 2022 total turnout will be lower than 2018 was - ergo the loss of the House seats. Just as Trump on the ballot drives GOP turnout, Trump out of office reduces the perceived theat that drives D turnout. The good new for the Dems is the trend of more young people voting, even as limited as it is.

I can see him doing well in the prmaries, but losing the nomination to DeSantis and the response will be predictable.  

24 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I can see him doing well in the prmaries, but losing the nomination to DeSantis and the response will be predictable.  

The GOP might come up with something like requiring a pledge not to run 3rd party as a requirement to admission to primary debates. Of course, not clear how the GOP could enforce that, and lying his way onto the stage would be nothing out of character for Trump.

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The GOP might come up with something like requiring a pledge not to run 3rd party as a requirement to admission to primary debates. Of course, not clear how the GOP could enforce that, and lying his way onto the stage would be nothing out of character for Trump.

Until I see someone stand up to Trump I assume no one will. My assumption is that he’ll get the nomination. 

16 hours ago, ben9753 said:

Until I see someone stand up to Trump I assume no one will. My assumption is that he’ll get the nomination. 

If the Republicans get behind one person from the start (only one person runs against Trump) they can beat him.   But if there are 4 or 5 people running,  Trump's going to win because all you need is 30% and he's got 30% of them in his pocket.  

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If the Republicans get behind one person from the start (only one person runs against Trump) they can beat him.   But if there are 4 or 5 people running,  Trump's going to win because all you need is 30% and he's got 30% of them in his pocket.  

If Fox annoints someone they might have a shot, but I'm struggling to think of what issues or approaches a GOP candidate can offer that would distinguish him from the field in some way that didn't happen in 2016. The GOP still doesn't have anything in the way of a program to offer which is what left  the race open to be a personality contest then. If it is again, Trump still has the advantage. I suppose a GOP candidate could run in the primaries on a national abortion ban platform and pull enough evangelicals that it might get him through the primaries, but it would seem to be a disastrous course for winning the general election.

10 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That's one thing I agree with Trump on..............being terrified of sharks.   Maybe the only smartest thing he's done.     But, yeah, Big Gretch knew when to use it.        She is gong to be a Presidential favorite in '24, '28 or '32.    

You have to appreciate.  She's got game.