5/16 6:40 Tigers @ Rays

Tigeraholic1

42 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Credit to Faedo as well... he's been pretty impressive these last couple of outings. Gives me some hope 

The Tigers shut him down early after a nice 1st year and he lost the top end of his FB the following season and was not very effective. From then on it always seemed that the question would be could he recover the velocity difference to set up the good slider he always had - then came TJ so he ended up with a bumpy career ride. But he's throwing 95 again, it's not the best FB in the world but he commands it well, and with the slider and change working he should be fine if he stays healthy from here.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The Tigers shut him down early after a nice 1st year and he lost the top end of his FB the following season and was not very effective. From then on it always seemed that the question would be could he recover the velocity difference to set up the good slider he always had - then came TJ so he ended up with a bumpy career ride. But he's throwing 95 again, it's not the best FB in the world but he commands it well, and with the slider and change working he should be fine if he stays healthy from here.

No, he had reduced velo initially, after being shut down post draft. He regained his velo his second year, until TJ.

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

That's not exactly right. He showed mid 90s fastball and had a dominant run in the CWS.

His first year was not good, he was overweight, didn't have the sharp slider or velocity on his fastball.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

That's not exactly right. He showed mid 90s fastball and had a dominant run in the CWS.

His first year was not good, he was overweight, didn't have the sharp slider or velocity on his fastball.

was it right after they drafted him then that they didn't bring him to the minors? I just remember we expected him to be pitching and they shut him down. I don't remember complaints about his weight but he certainly wasn't the same pitcher. TBH, I suppose weight doesn't bother a lot of pitchers

Edited by gehringer_2

42 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

was it right after they drafted him then that they didn't bring him to the minors? I just remember we expected him to be pitching and they shut him down. I don't remember complaints about his weight but he certainly wasn't the same pitcher. TBH, I suppose weight doesn't bother a lot of pitchers

Yeah we didn't have him pitch the year he was drafted because Florida had an extended run the tournament. And he performed so well that it looked like he was a steal, probably would have been a top 10 pick if the draft was the CWS. Then as soon as he pitched for the Tigers his stuff was just not there.

I remember Microcline making a comment on his weight after his first season in the minors on the Tigstown podcast.

Edited by TigerNation

12 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Yeah we didn't have him pitch the year he was drafted because Florida had an extended run the tournament. And he performed so well that it looked like he was a steal, probably would have been a top 10 pick if the draft was the CWS. Then as soon as he pitched for the Tigers his stuff was just not there.

I remember Microcline making a comment on his weight after his first season in the minors on the Tigstown podcast.

I was just looking at his 2019 record - he was up and down a lot but started to show the occasional strong outing, the best being a 7IP 0H game and then a couple of 2 and 3 hit starts, but with some clunkers mixed in and not a great overall ERA. Then COVID, then the knife....

Ya gotta love the rocket shots by Jonathan Schoop and Harold Castro. Both HR’s landed at least 133 yards from home plate. Tropicana Field is a terrible place for games. Michael Fulmer and Gregory Soto appeared to be struggling with their footing as they threw each pitch.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Nice vantage point.  That fan pointing out stuff for for Cabrera is helpful.

I was looking at this picture some after posting and it occurred to me it would make a great painting. The Hall of Famer at the plate, the fan pointing him out to his kid, that kind of thing. Something like Rockwell.

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

What a great game to be at. The outing by the kid, the two bombs, the catwalk homer (!), walking the tightrope and still getting the win. What a thrilling game. Fast, too! They should all be like that. 😏

Yes, reminds one of many of the games from years past! 👍

I was thinking about Schoop hitting a line drive on the screws right atvyye second baseman last night. He looked so frustrated and it’s gotten me to wonder what his batting record on line drives is.

Through yesterday, Schoop is hitting .400 (10-25) and slugging .640 on line drives.

The league overall is batting .615 and slugging .847 on line drives.

So yeah, I can see why Schoop is frustrated. 

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I was thinking about Schoop hitting a line drive on the screws right atvyye second baseman last night. He looked so frustrated and it’s gotten me to wonder what his batting record on line drives is.

Through yesterday, Schoop is hitting .400 (10-25) and slugging .640 on line drives.

The league overall is batting .615 and slugging .847 on line drives.

So yeah, I can see why Schoop is frustrated. 

He also has the 2nd worst BABIP in baseball among qualified batters (behind Abraham Toro for Seattle).... there was a period in April where he was legit bad, but since the LA series or so, it seems like he's not been slumping per se, but just has been unlucky.

13 hours ago, chasfh said:

I was looking at this picture some after posting and it occurred to me it would make a great painting. The Hall of Famer at the plate, the fan pointing him out to his kid, that kind of thing. Something like Rockwell.

I always feel like

somebody's watching me.

And I have no privacy.

Whoa!