5/16 6:40 Tigers @ Rays

Tigeraholic1

I've always found this 6:40 start time odd for the Rays.  They play in St. Pete, away from much of the population in Tampa.  Those folks have to travel a causeway to cross Tampa Bay to get to St. Pete and get to the game, during or on the heels of rush hour.  I've always theorized that this is one of the sources for the Rays' attendance problems.

“Look at the ballpark we play in,” Grossman said last week. “There’s been multiple balls. … It’s a different game when you play in this park in terms of everywhere else. You just have to remind yourself that.”

The fact players across the league are complaining about a baseball they believe is not traveling as far does not help the psychology behind slumping Tigers hitters.

“It’s easy to get caught up in that stuff, get caught up in the baseballs and that stuff,” Austin Meadows said. “But that’s just negative energy. I try to continue to be positive. We know as the summer goes along, the ball will fly a little more here. The biggest thing is to not focus on power numbers right now. Focus on having good at-bats. The homers will come.”

But hitting is hard enough as it is, and regardless of the ball or the park, the Tigers have struggled in part because they’re not putting enough balls in the air to do serious damage. The Tigers have a 47.8 percent ground-ball rate in May, the third-highest percentage in MLB. Javier Báez, arguably the most powerful hitter on the team, has a career-high ground-ball rate of 64.8 percent and seems to be extending his arms and rolling over an inordinate amount of pitches.

Just now, chasfh said:

Well, with Austin Meadows going to the IL while we were en route, I’m not off to a very good start! 😁

Add in the full moon and Monday the 16th (which comes after Friday the 13th).... ugh.....  You've got a lot to overcome tonight.

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Oh, The Trop..... 

Not the best baseball stadium.... but still way better than the old Homerdome was up in Minneapolis!

We were having dinner with our next door neighbor a couple of weeks ago and her folks were in town. We told them about our trip, including tonight’s game, and our friend’s dad says he loves the Trop. It’s one of his favorite stadiums because it’s nice and clean and air conditioned.

He is 80. 

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

We were having dinner with our next door neighbor a couple of weeks ago and her folks were in town. We told them about our trip, including tonight’s game, and our friend’s dad says he loves the Trop. It’s one of his favorite stadiums because it’s nice and clean and air conditioned.

He is 80. 

I went a few times when I was younger and had family living in the area.... it gets more hell than it deserves (the sightlines were good, it is designed for baseball unlike other multi-purpose domes were, etc.), but yeah, it's a bit bland design wise (unless you like concrete lol)