6/10 7:10 Blue Jays @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

• Tigeraholic1 changed the title to 6/10 7:10 Blue Jays @ Tigers

It sucks because it is the worst possible timing cause this basically insures that we get 2 complete lost seasons out of him in this year and next. 

If he got hurt and had the surgery last offseason we'd be seeing him in 2023 so only 1 season lost,if he pitched the first few months of this season before getting hurt we'd atleast have gotten those 3 months before losing him for the rest of 22 and 23 but nope we got nothing from him this year and will get nothing next year. 

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It sucks because it is the worst possible timing cause this basically insures that we get 2 complete lost seasons out of him in this year and next. 

If he got hurt and had the surgery last offseason we'd be seeing him in 2023 so only 1 season lost,if he pitched the first few months of this season before getting hurt we'd atleast have gotten those 3 months before losing him for the rest of 22 and 23 but nope we got nothing from him this year and will get nothing next year. 

We will get Turnbull back, which helps. I know people forget he exists, but HR can help fill that hole

You got Skubal out of that draft…and drafts are an in exact science.

But early in the rebuild, the tigers sunk all of their talent acquisition into losing and getting high draft picks and nothing else . If one of those guys doesn’t work out, you need to buy your way out or get talent with trades. Or you need to be good at developing undervalued talent. 

The contention window is a bit farther off imo.

5 minutes ago, kdog said:

You got Skubal out of that draft…and drafts are an in exact science.

But early in the rebuild, the tigers sunk all of their talent acquisition into losing and getting high draft picks and nothing else . If one of those guys doesn’t work out, you need to buy your way out or get talent with trades. Or you need to be good at developing undervalued talent. 

The contention window is a bit farther off imo.

On the plus side, Faedo doesn't look like a bust at the moment... If Manning comes back, that helps bridge the gap

Edited by mtutiger

8 minutes ago, kdog said:

Well we are 5 years into this right. We don’t have a path to contention anytime soon. We don’t really have a firm direction from ownership or management. All we can do is let time pass and hope things work out.

I would like to see Avila gone as much as the next guy, but if they have a rotation next year that includes Skubal, Faedo, (EDIT: ERod), Turnbull, Manning, that seems competitive if they can improve the offense

The fact that the wheels haven't fallen off the rotation so far gives me some hope they can piece it together without Mize for the next 18 months

Edited by mtutiger

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

On the plus side, Faedo doesn't look like a bust at the moment... If Manning comes back, that helps bridge the gap

Faedo, Manning, Turnbull... Plus maybe Brieske and/or Wentz if they get better at the MLB level.

And we still have Skubal and E-Rod.

We still have a rotation for 2023, and even the balance of this year if they could get, and stay, healthy.

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

Faedo, Manning, Turnbull... Plus maybe Brieske and/or Wentz if they get better at the MLB level.

And we still have Skubal and E-Rod.

We still have a rotation for 2023, and even the balance of this year if they could get, and stay, healthy.

I forgot about ERod.

The news sucks, but it isn't the end of the world. 

On the position side, we need a couple more guys, like say Keith, Wenceel, and Dingler... to make it at the MLB level. And they're another 2 years or so away... maybe September 2023...?

We need Greene to get healthy, and Tork to get better.

Personally, I see hope for this team.

Even as soon as the rest of this year.

But the roller coaster ride seems a lot more up and down then I thought before this season started...

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I forgot about ERod.

The news sucks, but it isn't the end of the world. 

I want to see some progress from this team/ multiple players... for the balance of this season.

Don't care about the wins/ losses... just want to see some serious progress.

And that definitely includes Baez.

14 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I want to see some progress from this team/ multiple players... for the balance of this season.

Don't care about the wins/ losses... just want to see some serious progress.

And that definitely includes Baez.

Totally agree 

But also, as someone who watches this thing day in and day out, we need to understand that Mize being gone for 12-18 months, while unfortunate, is not the backbreaker that losing Riley Greene or Spencer Torkelson for that length would be.