6/17 7:10 Rangers @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

11 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

For example, I always objected and still object to them getting rid of Carlos Pena before 2006, because I liked him, and he was a good player....and of course, he did have some ***really*** good seasons after that with the Rays. 

However, getting rid of Carlos was part of what allowed Leyland to shape the team's attitude and personality into a winner, ehile he and DD also brought better players to bear.  I dont want to see them get rid of a young and good player like Carlos was, but I do think that *somebody* in mangement needs to instill a sense of urgency.

They replaced Pena with Shelton and then Casey.  That's not why they won in 2006.  They won because they got better players at other positions.  They kind of got lucky that year too.  They didn't do as well the next four years.  

Edited by Tiger337

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm actually hoping the Rangers get to the point where they use position players, I want to see if we can actually do anything against them. 

Man, you have been especially on fire of late, keep up the good work

46 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They replaced Pena with Shelton and then Casey.  That's not why they won in 2006.  They won because they got better players at other positions.  They kind of got lucky that year too.  They didn't do as well the next four years.  

didn't they make it through the whole season without a starter missing a turn or something close to it? I have the recollection that team had the kind of injury luck you can't bank on.

Edited by gehringer_2

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

TBF, Harold has always had a tendency to make plays that look lackadaisical - esp when he played OF. I don't really know if that's because he is or if he just looks that way (some guys do - e.g. Whittaker used to). In any case, I'd counterpoint that I don't think that is not necessarily anything new for Harold.

I hear what you're saying but this was a catchable ball that he just clearly had no interest in pushing for. It was pretty inexcusable. 

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Yeah, I wasnt trying to suggest that getting rid of Pena made them a better team talent wise, but rather that it helped Leyland make a point, for better or worse.

It was strange that Pena was not played or traded by BOS in 2006, then was dealt to Tampa and was nearly (or actually? I cant recall) the MVP in 2007.