6/17 7:10 Rangers @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

I remember, and I am not lying when I say this............Listening to the radio in the car after a Lions loss and hearing Bobby Ross in his press conference sounds so defeated and I said to my friend John "He's done..........he might quit, he sounds broken".............Bobby quit the next day in the middle of the season.    AJ's starting to sound like that.    Difference is that Bobby had a long career that was heading into it's twilight, so he wasn't really expecting to get another job.   AJ is young and wants to manage in the future....if he quit it would seriously damage him (especially after the cheating thing).   It's just got that feeling - he's out of ideas, he's gassed, he's broken and he's kind of quitting without saying 'I quit'.   

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I feel like the other teams are pitching to the Tigers like they are Brandon Inge. 

haha I swear I was going to make a post with something like "It's not like our hitters are bad, they just pitch to us like we're Ted Williams." in reference to Inge. 

26 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I remember, and I am not lying when I say this............Listening to the radio in the car after a Lions loss and hearing Bobby Ross in his press conference sounds so defeated and I said to my friend John "He's done..........he might quit, he sounds broken".............Bobby quit the next day in the middle of the season.    AJ's starting to sound like that.    Difference is that Bobby had a long career that was heading into it's twilight, so he wasn't really expecting to get another job.   AJ is young and wants to manage in the future....if he quit it would seriously damage him (especially after the cheating thing).   It's just got that feeling - he's out of ideas, he's gassed, he's broken and he's kind of quitting without saying 'I quit'.   

I dont know that AJ's presser was all that different than any other presser he has had as manager. For as long as he's been here, the message has always been about winning tomorrow's game. Low key and consistent.

The problem here is that message is not working with this ballclub at this time. And when he's challenged by the local media, who has had a marked tone shift over the past week or so as the Tigers have played worse, he doesn't have a lot of answers. And sometimes maybe you do need to challenge a club who is badly underperforming career norms such as this one. Or shake things up, or get guys attention.

Maybe Greene entering the mix will shake things up a bit and stir some life into them. But idk, they are in a really awful place right now 

Edited by mtutiger

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Seriously, get on the phone and start talking to guys who have been hitting coaches about the approach you are taking and when one starts making sense bring him in place of Coolbaugh. It may not be fair but as you say, Hinch has to do something for his own mental preservation and confidence that he can master the situation. Hell, at this point I would not be averse to Al bringing in a new manager for Toledo and bring Lloyd back up here as a counter point voice. He's seen more than most and has done a lot individual hitting coaching work. He may be able to give some of these guys something Coolbaugh and Hinch are not.

But you have to do something just because you have a situation that is starting to fester badly. Hinch says "We are doing a lot of stuff - you just don't see it" but it's all from the same playbook. They need to breakout of the thought paradigms they are circling in. Grossman may have aged out, but I don't believe the whole rest of the team is this bad. They are doing something that isn't working and need some new eyes to ID what it is for them.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I hate to even suggest this, because its totally against my nature to want to do something rash, but the way that Schoop has been dogging it everywhere, I honestly think I would DFA him just to make a point.

I don't think anything should be off the table at this point (except Tork, Greene, and a couple of pitchers), but I sure as hell don't want this current staff to be making the moves.      

3 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

New bench for the rest of the season:

Barnhart

Schoop

Candelario

Grossman

Good luck in free agency with your current resume.

They wont bench Candy yet, he got lucky with the injury, so he hasnt had the luxury of sucking for a couple weeks, so he'll get playing time to, ahem, "find his level"....but ultimately, I agree, he cant be long for this team, he sucks as bad as everbody else.

8 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I hate to even suggest this, because its totally against my nature to want to do something rash, but the way that Schoop has been dogging it everywhere, I honestly think I would DFA him just to make a point.

I would DFA Grossman before Schoop.  I think Grossman is signed through this year but Schoop has another year left on his deal.  Plus there are a lot of OF in the system that could take his place and never miss him.  Real OF too not just someone sent to the OF like Willi.  Doesn't mean they can't bench Schoop and play Clemens or bring up Kreidler.

Grossman is really the only guy that makes sense to DFA... sucks, because I really like the guy, but of the big four strugglers that DTrain mentioned, he's the one that's on the final year of his deal and the one that seems the least likely to right the ship.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, Archie said:

I would DFA Grossman before Schoop.  I think Grossman is signed through this year but Schoop has another year left on his deal.  Plus there are a lot of OF in the system that could take his place and never miss him.  Real OF too not just someone sent to the OF like Willi.  Doesn't mean they can't bench Schoop and play Clemens or bring up Kreidler.

The difference to me is that Grossman is playing hard and making some defensive plays.  Schoop is just flat-out dogging **every** at-bat, not extending at-bats or fighting for pitches, hes jogging on every run-out, and I cannot remember thr last time he made a plus defensive play.

I liked the Schoop contract well enough at the time, but he is currently a terrible and counterproductive fit for this club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sabretooth said:

The difference to me is that Grossman is playing hard and making some defensive plays.  Schoop is just flat-out dogging **every** at-bat, not extending at-bats or fighting for pitches, hes jogging on every run-out, and I cannot remember thr last time he made a plus defensive play.

I liked the Schoop contract well enough at the time, but he is currently a terrible and counterproductive fit for this club.

DFA both.   Why not?   What's it going to hurt.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They are not flushing schoops salary for next year down the toilet.

Grossman will be 33 in September. When you get Daz and Meadows back, he should be gone. 

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

I dont have a strong feeling against DFAing both, but Grossman is at least trying hard.

When I saw Harold Castro fail to chase a catchable foul ball last night, I became alarmed.  I realize that hes an externally laid back guy, but at this point, hes essentially our most productive player by far, on a team thats mightily struggling, and he dogged a play.  

The way that some guys are approaching at bats and plays makes me truly wonder if they all need a serious kick in the ass.

For example, I always objected and still object to them getting rid of Carlos Pena before 2006, because I liked him, and he was a good player....and of course, he did have some ***really*** good seasons after that with the Rays. 

However, getting rid of Carlos was part of what allowed Leyland to shape the team's attitude and personality into a winner, ehile he and DD also brought better players to bear.  I dont want to see them get rid of a young and good player like Carlos was, but I do think that *somebody* in mangement needs to instill a sense of urgency.

• Like 1