2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

17 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

I wonder what Krauthammer’s take on Trumpism and what conservitsm has become would have been. 

Not only on Trump's GOP but also on Netanyahu's Israel. I've always believed Obama's relative antipathy to Israel (because of Netanyahu)  was a big part of what drove Charles so deeply into the arms of the harder right GOP to begin with. He was not nearly as strongly party aligned before Obama's falling out with Bibbie. (Of course Fox was also paying a lot to buy that alignment by that point as well). I wonder if he could have brought himself to admit Obama was right about BN. I thought generally FP was a severe weakness for Obama, but he had Netanyahu pegged right.

Edited by gehringer_2

14 hours ago, ben9753 said:

I wonder what Krauthammer’s take on Trumpism and what conservitsm has become would have been. 

Back in my libertarian days I always liked Charles Krauthammer because I thought he was very poignant and insightful. He attempted to make sound, reasoned arguments and not just make personal attacks and baseless claims. I liked his WaPo columns too. Looking back, he was 100% wrong about Netanyahu and failed to see the rise of a wannabe authoritarian and dictator. I would certainly hope he has the capacity in him to admit he was wrong. I know my views on the Israel/Palestine relationship changed and my former stance of being firmly pro Israel were wrong. Failing to see not only the dangers that Bebe posed, but also the cruelty and lawlessness of Israeli settlements, sanctions, and a military blockade of Gaza and the West Bank that have created apartheid conditions.

The other one I always want to hear from about Trump is Christopher Hitchens. I loved Hitch's views on religion, the church, and politicians he thought were either corrupt, moronic, or both. I didn't like his foreign policy views, but respected his honesty and critiques. I would hope Hitch would see Trump for the corrupt, crackpot, moron that he is.

13 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The other one I always want to hear from about Trump is Christopher Hitchens. I loved Hitch's views on religion, the church, and politicians he thought were either corrupt, moronic, or both. I didn't like his foreign policy views, but respected his honesty and critiques. I would hope Hitch would see Trump for the corrupt, crackpot, moron that he is.

Rationalist theologians were always easy pickings for Hitchens because religious belief, if it's real at all, is transcendent of objectivist experience. Heck - I rather have seen a discussion between Hitchens and Deepak Chopra than Hitchens debate the head of the Anglican Church. More potential to be instructive.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 8/11/2023 at 11:55 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Back in my libertarian days I always liked Charles Krauthammer because I thought he was very poignant and insightful. He attempted to make sound, reasoned arguments and not just make personal attacks and baseless claims. I liked his WaPo columns too. Looking back, he was 100% wrong about Netanyahu and failed to see the rise of a wannabe authoritarian and dictator. I would certainly hope he has the capacity in him to admit he was wrong. I know my views on the Israel/Palestine relationship changed and my former stance of being firmly pro Israel were wrong. Failing to see not only the dangers that Bebe posed, but also the cruelty and lawlessness of Israeli settlements, sanctions, and a military blockade of Gaza and the West Bank that have created apartheid conditions.

It wasn’t just Netanyahu he was wrong on.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2009/08/the-trouble-with-charles-krauthammer

I always assume most of these Republicans we've lost would be fighting for Trump brand kneepads and space in front of him like almost all of them do, but there have been some pretty surprising and notable examples of the exact opposite happening (George Will & Bill Kristol immediately come to mind).

It's surprising some of the people who you think of from back in the day that support Trump.    We had a poster here many years ago who used to really appreciate Victor Davis Hanson and while I didn't know tons about him I would have thought he wouldn't be a Trumper but he's all in.   Same with this prior poster here.     

Edited by pfife

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I always assume most of these Republicans we've lost would be fighting for Trump brand kneepads and space in front of him like almost all of them do, but there have been some pretty surprising and notable examples of the exact opposite happening (George Will & Bill Kristol immediately come to mind).

It's surprising some of the people who you think of from back in the day that support Trump.    We had a poster here many years ago who used to really appreciate Victor Davis Hanson and while I didn't know tons about him I would have thought he wouldn't be a Trumper but he's all in.   Same with this prior poster here.     

Tribalism is a powerful force 

5 minutes ago, antrat said:

I wish they would leave poor PRESIDENT Trump alone!

He is as innocent as the driven snow!

Those corrupt DEMONRATS have it out for our dear leader!

you forgot the picture of an impossibly-muscular Tr*mp in a superhero costume. (and I thank you for that.)

Edited by Crazy Cat Gentleman
  • Haha 1

From todays Bullwerk...

Nikki Haley is wrong. If you go to the Social Security longevity calculator and punch in Biden’s sex and date of birth, you find that he can expect to live until age 89.1. That would carry him through a second term and then some, but that is just an average for all 80-year-old American men, and doesn’t take account of other reasons to expect Biden to age very well. He has advanced levels of education and wealth and lives in a safe neighborhood. He is white (alas, race does matter in longevity), married, and has a circle of good friends. He attends church. He doesn’t drink or smoke and exercises five days a week. Other than a weakness for ice cream (which he clearly eats only in moderation), his diet seems good and his weight is in the healthy range. His father lived until 86 and his mother until 92.

There’s one more thing: Biden is president of the United States and it seems that people who achieve this office have a tendency to outlive others in their cohorts.

So worries that Biden is going to die before 2028 are overblown. Obviously, you can’t rule it out—age is still the greatest risk factor for death—but it’s likely that he will serve out his term.

https://plus.thebulwark.com/p/bidens-age-might-not-be-a-problem?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Let's talk about Trump's obesity and his actual lack of physical exercise. Riding a golf cart all week doesn't actually qualify imho

22 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

From todays Bullwerk...

https://plus.thebulwark.com/p/bidens-age-might-not-be-a-problem?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Let's talk about Trump's obesity and his actual lack of physical exercise. Riding a golf cart all week doesn't actually qualify imho

My Golf GPS watch has a step counter on it. Even riding a card, golfing nets a good 5000 steps, and more if there are cart path only restrictions. Granted, I'm more willing to walk for part of a hole to make things easier on my cart mate than he would be.

Edited by Edman85

19 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

My Golf GPS watch has a step counter on it. Even riding a card, golfing nets a good 5000 steps, and more if there are cart path only restrictions. Granted, I'm more willing to walk for part of a hole to make things easier on my cart mate than he would be.

The short time I played golf regularly I found that I walked more than just carrying the bag. Especially with cart restrictions. Of course my drives rarely found the fairways. I enjoyed the full course experience.