7/1 7:10 Royals @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

1 minute ago, 1776 said:

Unless Hinch is being kept in the dark about this, and maybe he is, I would have a real issue with someone on the payroll not keeping me informed of certain timelines. At least communicate to the point the organization can know how to plan.

I highly doubt Hinch is being kept in the dark on this.

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

For the record my issue isn't with the Tigers, I think it's noble what they are doing and how they seem to be handling it well my issue is with ERod.  I know divorces can be tough and I can only imagine it makes it that much more difficult when you have the kind of estate that a pro athlete has but he certainly isn't the first athlete to have to go through this and to my knowledge none have taken a month(s) long leave with very little contact with the team or any time table of their return. IDK the whole thing just doesn't seem right to me. 

I really don't want to speculate too much on this particular case, but again, I do see scenarios where this case could be a lot different than other cases involving other athletes.

Either way, I kinda operate from the view that I wouldn't want someone examining my personal life under a microscope in my job, so ERod deserves that same treatment. No matter his fame or salary. It's between him and the team.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This might be one of the weirdest things I have ever heard. I don't think he's bailing on the team unless he's bailing on the whole game. Because really, if he did ask to bail and the Tigers released him from his contract, who else would sign him? That makes no sense.

I'm a little gobsmacked that the Tigers are continuing to pay him. It's not my money so I don't really care, but ... why?

In any event, he's basically out of mind, the same way I'm thinking about Casey Mize, actually: when I consider the future fortunes of the team, I'm not expecting much of anything, so in terms of impact contributors, I'm looking past them. I see the building blocks, such as they are, as being Riley, TORK!, Javy, and Skubal, and that last guy has got to fix what's ailing him lately.

36 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The fact that they are paying suggests at least that his reasons are legitimate. Either way, as bad as the look is to some in the fanbase (at least those on social media), they are personal matters and those are bigger than the game; he is fair game for his performance on the field but deserves some level of privacy off of it.

Gonna go out on a limb and say we see ERod again this year.

I’m going to give the Tigers the benefit of doubt and assume the reports that they were still paying him were erroneous.    The restricted list is almost always unpaid and there’s no way they would be this hands off with no communication on their dime.   

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m going to give the Tigers the benefit of doubt and assume the reports that they were still paying him were erroneous.    The restricted list is almost always unpaid and there’s no way they would be this hands off with no communication on their dime.   

I honestly can't figure out why people are so hung up on whether he is being paid or not. 

I have my gripes with this organization. The guy who is currently in the GM seat shouldn't be sitting in it. And the owner? He seems pretty tone deaf to where the fanbase is when they see the standings and see 29-45 listed next to the Tigers.

But in terms of how the team handles personnel and treats them, it's between the employer and the employee. Good for him.

29 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Hunch’s comment about him being safe is both curious and perhaps a hint. Maybe a divorce or marital issues led to mental issues or even suicidal thoughts which would result in him being paid and safe. 

And he's with his kids. Those were the words that stuck with me. 

Edited by mtutiger

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

im not that bothered by erod not being here.  gives the young pitchers a chanve to throw.  also, erod isnt anything mkre than an average innings eater, imo.  not bad, but nothing special.

I keep going back to it, but even with him and Mize/Manning, the pitching really isn't the reason they are 29-45.

Ideally they would want him back later in the summer when Brieske and Faedo are pushing inning restrictions. But we will see how it plays out.

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I keep going back to it, but even with him and Mize/Manning, the pitching really isn't the reason they are 29-45.

Ideally they would want him back later in the summer when Brieske and Faedo are pushing inning restrictions. But we will see how it plays out.

I am sure Al has something incredible up his sleeve for starting pitching after the trade deadline.   What's Mike Pelfrey doing?   Hey Zimm, wanna come out of retirement?  

39 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Some hitting would be nice

1 hour ago, buddha said:

im not that bothered by erod not being here.  gives the young pitchers a chanve to throw.  also, erod isnt anything mkre than an average innings eater, imo.  not bad, but nothing special.

Average innings eaters are good pitchers.  His problem has been that he doesn't pitch that many innings most yerars.  

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

This might be one of the weirdest things I have ever heard. I don't think he's bailing on the team unless he's bailing on the whole game. Because really, if he did ask to bail and the Tigers released him from his contract, who else would sign him? That makes no sense.

I'm a little gobsmacked that the Tigers are continuing to pay him. It's not my money so I don't really care, but ... why?

In any event, he's basically...

I think it's something terrible...

Like a miscarriage or something...

So I don't want to say anything really, until the story comes out...

And just hope ERod & his family are OK.