7/1 7:10 Royals @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

Tigers option Alex Faedo to Toledo to open roster spot for Michael Pineda. Tigers watching innings with Faedo in return from Tommy John surgery. He’ll return as 27th player to start in Monday doubleheader vs. Cleveland, and again in July 11 doubleheader at KC.

A.J. Hinch on Eduardo Rodriguez's continued absence: 

"There's been no movement whatsoever. And no communication. So it's been pretty quiet. And we've respected his privacy and just tried to wait for his his camp to give us some direction on what's ahead."

Hinch: "We know he’s safe, we know he’s home with his kids, we know he’s back in Florida, but it’s been pretty quiet. All we can do is move forward with what we know, and right now it’s the group we have."

Re: erod 

47 minutes ago, kdog said:

A.J. Hinch on Eduardo Rodriguez's continued absence: 

"There's been no movement whatsoever. And no communication. So it's been pretty quiet. And we've respected his privacy and just tried to wait for his his camp to give us some direction on what's ahead."

This might be one of the weirdest things I have ever heard. I don't think he's bailing on the team unless he's bailing on the whole game. Because really, if he did ask to bail and the Tigers released him from his contract, who else would sign him? That makes no sense.

I'm a little gobsmacked that the Tigers are continuing to pay him. It's not my money so I don't really care, but ... why?

In any event, he's basically out of mind, the same way I'm thinking about Casey Mize, actually: when I consider the future fortunes of the team, I'm not expecting much of anything, so in terms of impact contributors, I'm looking past them. I see the building blocks, such as they are, as being Riley, TORK!, Javy, and Skubal, and that last guy has got to fix what's ailing him lately.

Edited by chasfh

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This might be one of the weirdest things I have ever heard. I don't think he's bailing on the team unless he's bailing on the whole game. Because really, if he did ask to bail and the Tigers released him from his contract, who else would sign him? That makes no sense.

I'm a little gobsmacked that the Tigers are continuing to pay him. It's not my money so I don't really care, but ... why?

The fact that they are paying suggests at least that his reasons are legitimate. Either way, as bad as the look is to some in the fanbase (at least those on social media), they are personal matters and those are bigger than the game; he is fair game for his performance on the field but deserves some level of privacy off of it.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

In any event, he's basically out of mind, the same way I'm thinking about Casey Mize, actually: when I consider the future fortunes of the team, I'm not expecting much of anything, so in terms of impact contributors, I'm looking past them. I see the building blocks, such as they are, as being Riley, TORK!, Javy, and Skubal, and that last guy has got to fix what's ailing him lately.

Gonna go out on a limb and say we see ERod again this year.

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The fact that they are paying suggests at least that his reasons are legitimate. Either way, as bad as the look is to some in the fanbase (at least those on social media), they are personal matters and those are bigger than the game; he is fair game for his performance on the field but deserves some level of privacy off of it.

I am gonna go further.  Take his ass to court and void that contract.    Marriage problems.  Give me a break, if you ain't solved it in this time, you ain't solving it.   Half the country has marriage problems - they still do their damn jobs.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

He's getting that privacy, but it's still a weird thing. This kind of thing happens almost never. It's not as though this is business as usual *shrug*.

I would hope we'd see him this year. If we don't, then maybe something else is wrong. But as of right now, he's not factoring into my future hopes for the team, again, such as they are.

As somebody who has never been married maybe I'm being cold hearted but if the rumors are true that he is MIA for "marital problems" I don't think that is a good enough reason to still be getting paid during the whole ordeal.  If he wants to take time off to go handle it I guess nobody can stop him but you shouldn't expect to be paid the whole time and if you are you should atleast give the courtesy to check in and give updates to your employer. Not disappear off the face of the Earth. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

As somebody who has never been married maybe I'm being cold hearted but if the rumors are true that he is MIA for "marital problems" I don't think that is a good enough reason to still be getting paid during the whole ordeal.  If he wants to take time off to go handle it I guess nobody can stop him but you shouldn't expect to be paid the whole time and if you are you should atleast give the courtesy to check in and give updates to your employer. Not disappear off the face of the Earth. 

Maybe he's off dog sledding somewhere.     Don't know.    He was pitching pretty well when he left.  I don't know that he wants to even play anymore, or for this specific team.     But I am not clear on this............Are they actually paying him when they don't have to pay him?  If that's the case, they need to stop now.      I certainly hope he doesn't end up having a stroke like J.R. Richard, which would make me feel horrible, but this "marital issue" thing just ain't looking legit to me.  

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ive only experienced divorce from the perspective of being a child, but while some divorces can be easy, many of of them can be particularly nasty as well. Particularly when kids are involved, and particularly if they involve other factors (ie. mental issues, abusive behaviors, drugs/alcohol, etc.)

I dont know what ERod is going through, but it's the Detroit Tigers choice whether to pay him or not pay him through this time. I have many gripes with how this team handles it's business, this isn't one of them.

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Only erod can make the Zimmermann deal look OK to this point.

You say that, but with our luck, if they followed the advice of some, they would terminate the contract, he'd sign somewhere else and become the next Isaac Paredes in Tigers lore.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I have many gripes with how this team handles it's business, this isn't one of them.

Unless Hinch is being kept in the dark about this, and maybe he is, I would have a real issue with someone on the payroll not keeping me informed of certain timelines. At least communicate to the point the organization can know how to plan.

Just now, mtutiger said:

Ive only experienced divorce from the perspective of being a child, but while some divorces can be easy, many of of them can be particularly nasty as well. Particularly when kids are involved, and particularly if they involve other factors (ie. mental issues, abusive behaviors, drugs/alcohol, etc.)

I dont know what ERod is going through, but it's the Detroit Tigers choice whether to pay him or not pay him through this time. I have many gripes with how this team handles it's business, this isn't one of them.

For the record my issue isn't with the Tigers, I think it's noble what they are doing and how they seem to be handling it well my issue is with ERod.  I know divorces can be tough and I can only imagine it makes it that much more difficult when you have the kind of estate that a pro athlete has but he certainly isn't the first athlete to have to go through this and to my knowledge none have taken a month(s) long leave with very little contact with the team or any time table of their return. IDK the whole thing just doesn't seem right to me.