07/16/2022 4:10 EDT Detroit Tigers at Cleveland Guardians

casimir

53 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Things could not go MORE wrong this season, could they?    I mean, it's been, gulp, Lionesque.  

The really need some sort of exorcism.   I used to joke that the Wings/Tigers were being punished by a curse because the Ilitch family lied about District Detroit.    Starting to believe that now.    

I think it's the Scherzer curse. Illitch should have gave him what he wanted. Look at all the money wasted on free agent starters after Scherzer left. We could have had him and Verlander for their best years.

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

I think it's the Scherzer curse. Illitch should have gave him what he wanted. Look at all the money wasted on free agent starters after Scherzer left. We could have had him and Verlander for their best years.

To this point, Illitch would be better off canning Avila and hiring a legitimate GM. The players and contracts Avila is involved with actually end up costing the franchise because they’re bad deals. 
Anytime Avila goes into free agency he generally bombs. That’s always my concern, he doesn’t do well in the free agency business. 

Edited by 1776

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t see Ilitch ever firing Avila. I think all we can hope for is that Al gets better at his job and some of the recent external hires, including Hinch, exert much more influence over personnel decisions.

Hold on now, I thought Hinch was pulling the strings last season.  What happened?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t see Ilitch ever firing Avila. I think all we can hope for is that Al gets better at his job and some of the recent external hires, including Hinch, exert much more influence over personnel decisions.

I don’t see Illitch firing Avila either. This organization isn’t going to move forward with Illitch/Avila/Hinch in my opinion. And nothing changes as long as Illitch owns this team. It’s a hopeless situation as it stands. 

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I don’t see Illitch firing Avila either. This organization isn’t going to move forward with Illitch/Avila/Hinch in my opinion. And nothing changes as long as Illitch owns this team. It’s a hopeless situation as it stands. 

Well, the Ilitch family has shown incredibly loyal to a fault.  Mike kept Randy Smith around for way too long.  Smith was fired.  I’m not sure Avila is fired, maybe he gets bumped elsewhere.  But the current state of malaise cannot continue.  Something has to change somewhere.

The problem with this season is that the bats are ineffective, but I suspect the pitching injuries will be the blame.  That’d be absolute bullwash if that’s the direction that story of the season goes.

48 minutes ago, casimir said:

Well, the Ilitch family has shown incredibly loyal to a fault.  Mike kept Randy Smith around for way too long.  Smith was fired.  I’m not sure Avila is fired, maybe he gets bumped elsewhere.  But the current state of malaise cannot continue.  Something has to change somewhere.

The problem with this season is that the bats are ineffective, but I suspect the pitching injuries will be the blame.  That’d be absolute bullwash if that’s the direction that story of the season goes.

Runs allowed will be the story of the second half.  In fact given that even if the hip is nothing serious, they can't get many more innings from Faedo and Brieske they might as well start "playing" for another high pick. But instead they will rush Turnbull and Manning trying to salvage some kind of respect out of this disaster  of a season and probably fry one of them even longer term.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

I watched a post game interview with Riley Greene after last nights game. The guy comes off as very mature and level headed at his age. 

And then…there’s Hinch…

What is your specific issue with Hinch in this context?

50 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Runs allowed will be the story of the second half.  In fact given that even if the hip is nothing serious, they can't get many more innings from Faedo and Brieske they might as well start "playing" for another high pick. But instead they will rush Turnbull and Manning trying to salvage some kind of respect out of this disaster  of a season and probably fry one of them even longer term.

Agree with you, might as well pad the loss column.  You can toss Rogers in there as one that I’m afraid might be rushed back as well.  Sure, he probably doesn’t have the longer term potential as Turnbull or Manning, but I’d prefer nothing sooner than a call up when rosters expand.  Even at that, they probably need to take it easy with him.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

Agree with you, might as well pad the loss column.  You can toss Rogers in there as one that I’m afraid might be rushed back as well.  Sure, he probably doesn’t have the longer term potential as Turnbull or Manning, but I’d prefer nothing sooner than a call up when rosters expand.  Even at that, they probably need to take it easy with him.

I really don’t see them rushing anyone at the risk of further injuries.  I don’t recall a precedent for that—always felt the team took a conservative approach in these situations.

They clearly don’t care about fan sentiment, so I doubt that would be any influence.

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

I dont know about that... if it wasnt for Hinch and Fetter they might be giving 2003 a run for their money

That’s probably a reasonable observation.

But, the post to which you responded was in reference to commentary around these parts last season that thought Hinch’s role with the organization was more than what it was.  In fact, there was belief that he in fact was doing some of the GM work, and perhaps even turned water into wine during his spare time.

3 hours ago, casimir said:

That’s probably a reasonable observation.

But, the post to which you responded was in reference to commentary around these parts last season that thought Hinch’s role with the organization was more than what it was.  In fact, there was belief that he in fact was doing some of the GM work, and perhaps even turned water into wine during his spare time.

as opposed to the other side of board who thinks hinch is basically hitler in a track suit because of the astros scandal?