On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

10 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I get the first two picks.  The third one, I don't really.  But I guess the history of 3rd round picks is that they don't amount to much anyway.

The more you think about it, they probably worked out some savings with him to help pay McDonigle, who they must really like.

there is a certain logic to taking HS bats and college pitchers - but only if you can put eyes on those prep hitters who have some serious skill at analyzing what they are seeing. If Harris has those people in place now then the strategy will pay off with more upside on the results. If he doesn't - it's gonna be more long summers.

But we might as well be optimistic now and enjoy that the sky is still the limit as long as the new FO honeymoon lasts.

One a related note, I saw some comments from Gabe Alvarez (Erie manager) about Bigbie. The interesting thing is that Gabe said that Bigbie is only challenging to be a more serious prospect now because he's a completely different hitter than he was when he was drafted, that the org has worked him through a total revamp. So maybe it's just coach speak, but OTOH, how many years has this very issue i.e. whether the Tiger org had any clue about how to make hitters better or just sent them out there to play everyday and sink or swim on their own,  been a hot topic wrt both the Dombrowski and Avila regimes?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Sounds like he’ll move to 2B and hopefully push Jung soon.

McGonigle was drafted as a SS...

McGonigle's well-rounded skill set makes him a high-probability big leaguer, perhaps more likely to play some kind of big league role than any other high school player in the 2023 class. As impressive as McGonigle's physical tools are — he has plus bat-to-ball ability, surprising power for his size, and a plus arm — his on-field acumen and fundamentals also carry a ton of weight. He has fantastic baseball feel and instincts, a well-calibrated internal clock at shortstop, and he appears laser focused and competitive between the lines. He'll be just shy of age 19 on draft day and is physically maxed out (or close to it), but unless you're fearful that his present physicality is an indicator that he'll eventually be too bulky to move around on the middle infield, McGonigle is a slam dunk shortstop with enough contact ability and plate discipline to project as an everyday player. His age and frame temper his long-term power projection, but McGonigle is currently strong enough to do doubles damage in both gaps and drop the bat head to golf out some pull-side homers. He lacks the upside of some of its other hitters, but he's as bankable a big league role player as there is in this class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anderson was around 50th in Keith Law's rankings and he was 52nd in an analytical-model based big board by someone on MLB draft twitter that was just hired away by the Cubs, Mason McRae (his big board is no longer public).  Anderson doesn't strike out and had really strong EV metrics.  

I actually found that to be kind of an encouraging pick depending how the rest of the class shakes out.  Thus far, there has been a change in draft philosophy.  I probably wouldn't have picked Clark, but that wasn't out of left field- he was an easy top 5 prospect in this draft and would have gone #1 in a number of drafts. He's a great prospect with high upside and there is an argument for him over Langford because Clark is sticking in CF long term and those guys are rare to find.  He could be a genuine two-way star whereas that wasn't very likely with Langford.  Langford was a safer pick. At the end of the day, though, the player development aspect is the most important thing.

https://masonmcrae.medium.com/notes-on-college-draft-prospects-7e31392f676e

"Outside of a fringy batter’s eye, Anderson’s offensive profile is really good. He has juice and a 106 90th percentile EV on top of a 110+ batted ball. He’s running a 94 mph average EV, he’s never had issues with strikeouts and he seldomly whiffs at pitches in the zone. He hasn’t had a great season in college up until this spring, but the pitch-level numbers have suggested he’s always been good. You’d like to see him swing less, chase less, and therefore walk more, but it could be an area of improvement for a pro ball dev staff. He’s hit two-thirds of his batted balls over 95 mph, it’s real power and he’s not giving away contact to get to it. He’s running a 4% walk rate though. Above-average defender at third. He was one of the better hitters this summer on the Cape and he walked much more. Looking like a late day one profile that model-driven orgs will have an eye on."

Edited by Scottwood
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruzer1 said:

It's really weird to say this, but adding Clark/McGonigle to the system; suddenly the Tigers might be too lefty heavy (Greene, Keith, Jung, Meadows, etc).

Yes. Vierling, Torkelson, Baez, and Rogers and maybe Malloy are your RH core and Greene is going to play every day so short term (as in the next year or two) and that is only 5/6 of 9 posittions in the order so at least one RH upgrade in both the IF and OF should be on the offseason shopping list for sure.

49 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

McGonigle was drafted as a SS...

McGonigle is a slam dunk shortstop with enough contact ability and plate discipline to project as an everyday player. His age and frame temper his long-term power projection, 

I actually like it if they aren't falling into the trap of looking at every SS prospect in the reflection of Alex Rodriguez. Teams keep spending their time looking for the next ARod and instead just keep getting guys they have to move off SS, sometimes even before they ever make the majors. It's OK if your SS doesn't hit 30 bombs/yr - really.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

How so ?  Isn’t it the draft spot to overpay or is that normally later rounds ?

Later rounds is harder to find savings because the slots are smaller. So if you take a guy here, with a slot of $1.9million, but you get him for $1 milion, that gives you nearly another million for a later round pick. If you draft an under slot guy at lets say 260, that value is only $182K so if you sign him for 100, you're only saving 82.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

That's what I'm thinking more than anything else. I guess.

They needed to save money here though...?

I don't really see that either, to be honest...

easiest way to recoup massive saving is take a way under slot guy in rounds 3-6. Early you're probably drafting way less of a prospect, later not much savings. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I actually like it if they aren't falling into the trap of looking at every SS prospect in the reflection of Alex Rodriguez. Teams keep spending their time looking for the next ARod and instead just keep getting guys they have to move off SS, sometimes even before they ever make the majors. It's OK if your SS doesn't hit 30 bombs/yr - really.

Yeah it's OK if the shortstop you draft can actually play shortstop. 

• Like 2

It is weird/refreshing to see two high Tigers draft pick not come with position questions. Going back to say Castellanos it seems like every early draft pick of ours has come with questions regarding their defense or their inevitable move down the spectrum. Hell even when we drafted Greene almost all reports prefaced it with him almost being a lock to move a way from CF in near future, thankfully though that hasn't happened yet. 

30 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It is weird/refreshing to see two high Tigers draft pick not come with position questions. Going back to say Castellanos it seems like every early draft pick of ours has come with questions regarding their defense or their inevitable move down the spectrum. Hell even when we drafted Greene almost all reports prefaced it with him almost being a lock to move a way from CF in near future, thankfully though that hasn't happened yet. 

Nearly every drafted player comes with those questions. They are usually the best on their hs or college team so they played shortstop or center, but that gets exposed when they reach the majors

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I guess the same people who will not stop bringing up Marcelo Meyer on social media are now complaining that the Tigers went with a high schooler with their 1st Round pick.

Just no consistency whatsoever 

I disagree, maybe it's just a case of different opinions who the better players are?

9 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

I disagree, maybe it's just a case of different opinions who the better players are?

Maybe. But I suspect the fact that there's a lot more film on Langford (and appearances on ESPN) than Clark has something to do with it as well.

Again, I probably would have went Langford, but the people treating Clark like the Jackson Jobe pick just aren't right imo. Clark's ceiling is really high and this pick wasn't at all a reach.

Edited by mtutiger

With the exception of one person, the people in this thread have something on the degree of 0.01% of the information that the people who made these picks have. Really really harsh draft day opinions are a symptom of hanging out on the left side of the Dunning Kruger chart.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3