On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

I don't see a reason why he would sign below slot, he has leverage by being committed to one of the most successful colleges in baseball, there's no reason he has to sign for less. My guess is he will sign at or near slot just slightly less than Langford would've signed for and any money we "save" will be negligible just like it was with Jobe over Mayer. 

I think Scott Harris was trying to appeal to the non-college demo.  Those stuck up nerds in [there]ivory towers and their ivy covered walls think they know baseball?! 

[I'm not editing that]

Edited by romad1

1 minute ago, Tigermojo said:

I don't have a problem with them taking the best five tool player available.

But the problem is he’s from Amish Indiana.  So those 5 tools are butter churning, horse & buggy driving, beard growing, knitting, and barn raising.  How is Hinch going to play chess with that?

• Haha 2

Just now, casimir said:

But the problem is he’s from Amish Indiana.  So those 5 tools are butter churning, horse & buggy driving, beard growing, knitting, and barn raising.  How is Hinch going to play chess with that?

Jim Price is going to go nuts with the buggy whip now....

• Haha 6

Clark certainly has the higher ceiling due to the fact that he projects to remain in CF which is why I don't hate the pick if that is their thought process for taking him, I just hate the thought process of taking a guy you view as lesser just cause you want to save money to spend on better inferior prospects later on in the draft. 

Also I wonder if how fast Holliday has progressed has changed teams feelings on HS hitter's timelines, Holliday is already the number 1 prospect in baseball and starting AA, he very well may be inline to be in the big leagues by the ASB 2024, less than 2 years after being drafted which is essentially no different than college players. 

• Like 2

I was expecting and hoping for Langford, but I really don't know enough about these guys to complain.  I wanted a position player who has big offensive potential and Max Clark is that even if he is far away. 

Scouting report: Looks like a douche with the exaggerated eye black but has a great baseball name!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jz68 said:

So does Clark still go play college ball or does he get assigned to the minors after signing?  I know almost nothing about the MLB draft.   

Can;t play college if you sign. 

If he signs they might send him to rookie ball in Lakeland for the rest of the year then likely west michigan to start next year. 

If he doesn't sign he can go to school, isn't draft eligible until 2026 and we get pick 4 next year. 

10 minutes ago, jz68 said:

So does Clark still go play college ball or does he get assigned to the minors after signing?  I know almost nothing about the MLB draft.   

If he goes to Vanderbilt we lose him.

We either sign him and stick him in the Tigers' minor league system or, we lose him...