On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

Fox mock: Langford and HS SS

37. Detroit Tigers — SS Walker Martin; Eaton (CO)
Martin will be one of the more fascinating prep players to monitor on draft night. Having already turned 19 in February, he’s one of the oldest high-school players in the class which gives some teams pause. However, he also had one of the loudest springs of any prep hitter as he downright dominated all season to a ridiculous degree, albeit against middling competition in northern Colorado. He very well could go in the 10-20 range, but I have him sliding to the comp round in this scenario. Either way, it would make sense for Detroit to pair a likely college pick at No. 3 with a high-upside high schooler here at No. 37.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=22162

Mock draft has us picking Crews with Clark and Skenes going one and two. Also says if the board doesn't fall our way we make a big cut, probably Teel then picking a prep player with the comp pick.

So much for Lanford and Crews both being *clearly* better than the rest of the field?

20 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=22162

Mock draft has us picking Crews with Clark and Skenes going one and two. Also says if the board doesn't fall our way we make a big cut, probably Teel then picking a prep player with the comp pick.

I prefer Langford over Crews. I think those two are clearly the best of the field.

Kiley McDaniel moved Langford to 1 on his big board followed closely by Crews and Skenes.

He says as of now they will rank 9th,10th and 13th respectively on his overall prospect rankings which is extremely high for a player right out of the draft. Usually the top guy is usually around 25th-35th so ranking that high right off the bat shows how special these 3 are. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

It would be hard to pass on Skenes if Crews and Langford are off the board...let's hope it doesn't come to that

If what the pundits are speculating is true then we need to hope Pitt doesn't take Langford 1 cause then Washington will take Crews at 2 since the rumors are they have Crews and Skenes 1-2 in that order. 

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I prefer the college outfielders, but won’t cry if it’s Skenes. I think we have more hitters in the  minors than potential starting pitchers.

When it comes to high level talent, they don't have much of either.  I also prefer the outfielders, but the top three are reportedly special talents.  If that's the case, I wouldn't want them to drop to another tier to get a hitter.  

If everything goes well/as planned, here are the starters I believe we have in the organization:

-Mize, Skubal, Manning, Jobe

Many who fall in the might be a starter-or-reliever category:

Olsen, Brieske, Faedo, Hill, Englert, Flores, Madden, D. Smith, Hurter—probably a few others

I eliminated ERod (likely opt-out), Lorenzen and Boyd (one-year rentals) from this.

The point is that we have few clear cut SP, and all have experienced injuries this season.  Adding Skenes, who appears to be a sure starter, could only help our depth.

of course, I still prefer Crews or Langford if they are there at #3

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2023-mock-draft-1-0/

I think Skenes is a virtual lock at no. 2 regardless of who the first pick is, and I now think there’s a growing likelihood that that first pick will be Langford. Not enough to mock him there just yet, but enough that I’d consider him the second most likely player to go first behind Crews.

37. Detroit Tigers
Pick: Tommy Troy, SS, Stanford

Edited by RatkoVarda