On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

17 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I'm trying to think of times when the Tigers acquired a first rate bat in exchange for pitching.   Yoenis Cespedes certainly qualifies.  Have there been others?

Yoenis Cespedes, Miguel Cabrera, Placido Polanco, Omar Infante. Do we count Jeimer? Delmon Young, Cam Maybin in 2016 for Ian Krol, Johnny Peralta, Gary Sheffield, Carlos Pena, 

I could be wrong but my perception is teams have gotten smarter about trading for "can't miss prospects".

Seems like when you trade a prospect for a "veteran" to to speak, it rarely works out that the prospect side wins the trade.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

I could be wrong but my perception is teams have gotten smarter about trading for "can't miss prospects".

Seems like when you trade a prospect for a "veteran" to to speak, it rarely works out that the prospect side wins the trade.

I don't know if I'd say "rarely", but it does seem like the team trading prospects loses more often than not.  I think it's because they are often dealing from a position of weakness where they must trade a player who is too expensive for them to sign and the longer they keep him the less value he has,    

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't know if I'd say "rarely", but it does seem like the team trading prospects loses more often than not.  I think it's because they are often dealing from a position of weakness where they must trade a player who is too expensive for them to sign and the longer they keep him the less value he has,    

Right. It's definitely hard to figure how much the salary dump or years of control factors should be weighted in a prospect vs vet trade, but they are not small considerations to the FO's making those trades.

What always scares me about trading for other team's prospects is that they obviously know more about them than you do so considering how valuable they are to have on a big league roster you have to wonder if there is something that gives that team trepidation about the player. 

This thought process is more about when a team gives you a list of players to choose from and ones that are off limits. Like the rumors are the Astros told the Tigers that Whitley, Tucker and somebody else who's name forsakes me but we could have Perez.

Like to me that would concern me but teams not just the Tigers will still do it and I think that's why they often end up on the losing end. 

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Right. It's definitely hard to figure how much the salary dump or years of control factors should be weighted in a prospect vs vet trade, but they are not small considerations to the FO's making those trades.

And sometimes what the team wants from a trade does not align perfectly with what fans want.  

Edited by Tiger337

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

HS pitchers are totally different than HS hitters, but Avila tried to outsmart everyone by picking Jobe over Mayer at 3, and if Harris & Company pick Clark over Langford at 3, I hope Clark is worth the extra risk of passing on a 2-time SEC star

I'm not going to go crazy if they pass on Langford for somebody like Clark but to my untrained eyes he seems to be the most safe bet in the draft including Crews. Crews has more upside cause it sounds like he should be able to handle CF but I think Langford's bat will be a safer bet than Crews(that's not to say his is unsafe just not as safe as Langford's). 

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

And sometimes what the team wants from a trade does not align perfectly with what fans want.  

LOL - We complain now, but the Tigers today are nothing like the old Briggs/Fetzer Campbell regimes where the no 1 reason the Tigers ever moved a  player was to get ride of anyone that wanted to be paid fairly and was willing to say so out loud. From Jim Bunning right through to Lance Parrish.

Ilitch did lose Scherzer, but the Tigers had made a fair offer. I still believe Max wanted out of JV's shadow even if Tigers had matched the offer -- and personalities hadn't gotten in the way.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

So say the Pirates draft Clark to save some money and the Nationals draft Skenes because they love college pitching. Who would you take Langford or Crews?

i might take the LH hitting catcher. Assuming none of these college bats are generational, then for me the differential roster value of an average bat LH catcher is a lot more than an average RH bat OF. I'd take Keel - assuming he does have MLB receiving skills.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

i might take the LH hitting catcher. Assuming none of these college bats are generational, then for me the marginal value of an average bat LH catcher is a lot more than an average RH bat OF. I'd take Keel.

Those two bats are special.

1 minute ago, Cruzer1 said:

Those two bats are special.

That's what they all say. :classic_sleep: Are they more 'special' in this year's hype than Torkelson was in 2020? Well, maybe a bad example - Tork may yet be a star - but so far he's looking more like he's going to be in the 'good not great' group.

32 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

So say the Pirates draft Clark to save some money and the Nationals draft Skenes because they love college pitching. Who would you take Langford or Crews?

Crews, but it's close, maybe the one who will take less. Any of the clear top five, not Teel, unless he took a huge discount.

54 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

I remember Al Kaline turning down a $100,000 contract in 1971 because he didn't think he was worth it.

Yes that's true.  He was right of course, he wasn't worth it, but the other players were really upset because it gave that tightwad Campbell a reason to hold their pay down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes that's true.  He was right of course, he wasn't worth it, but the other players were really upset because it gave that tightwad Campbell a reason to hold their pay down.

Apparently...Gordie Howe was responsible for a similar dynamic with the Wings.  Wouldn't push for more, so the rest of the team couldn't either

4 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Apparently...Gordie Howe was responsible for a similar dynamic with the Wings.  Wouldn't push for more, so the rest of the team couldn't either

I remember that too...Bobby Baun got traded to the Red Wings, went to dinner with Gordie, and told Gordie how much money he was making from his Leafs contract.   Gordie couldn't believe it.