On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2023-mock-draft-1-0/

I think Skenes is a virtual lock at no. 2 regardless of who the first pick is, and I now think there’s a growing likelihood that that first pick will be Langford. Not enough to mock him there just yet, but enough that I’d consider him the second most likely player to go first behind Crews.

37. Detroit Tigers
Pick: Tommy Troy, SS, Stanford

A Langford-Troy 3/37 pick would be a nice get for Harris. 

• Like 1

Yeah I prefer Langford just cause I think his bat is a little better(Crews defense is better though) but I'll gladly take either.

But let's be real we all know how this is gonna turn out, the guy we don't get will turn into Mike Trout and the guy we draft will be a bust.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

You know Avila would have suggested trading that Verlander pick for Ricky Ledee

would have been interesting during the Dombrowski era--seems like we surrendered some 1st rounders to sign free agents.  I think he would have traded any picks we had for vets.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Baseball needs to allow picks to be traded.  Would just make everything more interesting.  

Some picks are allowed to be traded.

I understand why they don't allow draft day trades, though. The pace of the later rounds would make it drag for many additional if trades reset everything.

Edited by Edman85

3 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

You know Avila would have suggested trading that Verlander pick for Ricky Ledee

I think that is the opposite of what he would have done.  I think Avila was pretty consistent in his goal of acquiring and retaining young players.  He just wasn't particularly good at it and he was bad at other things such as free agent signings.    

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Sounds like the Nats love Skenes from what a bunch of draft guys have been saying

watched a bunch of Crews' film and polish is really the right word. Very MLB like approach at the plate - no wasted motion or excess kick to have to get rid of, gets his front foot down fast and easy power to all fields. In the OF he can dive, run, basket catch. None of it means he can hit MLB breaking balls, but if he fails he's going to look good doing it. :classic_laugh: